The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
14,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today i was riding in a friends 98 se alty and it was raining out. Well he hit the brakes hard and locked them up at one point (he didn't see the light, heh) and when we stopped, i was like i thought you had abs on this car? He said he did, but obviously either he doesn't or they malfunctioned.

Now my question, was abs brakes optional on all altimas or did they come standard on the se's? I know my gxe doesn't have it.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
No, they have always been optional. If you want to make sure your abs is working, trying slamming the brakes while on wet leaves or wet manhole cover.

·
Black Cherry Altima
461 Posts
Chris said:
Now my question, was abs brakes optional on all altimas or did they come standard on the se's? I know my gxe doesn't have it.
I don't have ABS on my 98SE. I heard it is always been an option for Altima. I think!!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
AlienAlt said:
I have them and it is hard for Abs to kick in.....
It activates whenever you apply the brake and a wheel locks up. You'll know it by a slight vibration in the brake pedal and the buzzing sound of the ABS pump.

It's important to know if you have ABS or not because that will determine how you should brake in a skid. Without ABS you have to pump the brakes to keep the wheels from locking up, which is exactly what you don't want to do if you have ABS.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: Re: ABS on all 98-99's se's??

chan88 said:

I don't have ABS on my 98SE. I heard it is always been an option for Altima. I think!!
When I bought my 2K SE, I made sure that ABS was not installed. If you know how to drive, ABS just gets in the way.

And ABS is an option on all 2nd Gen. SE/GLE trims.

·
14,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, so it was optional. Damn, i was like, "wtf?! Time to take a trip to nissan" hehe. Ok, thanks everyone :)

·
Liquid-Ink Venom Kit!
2,307 Posts
ABS saved my ass in my old car.....i Drive my Altima pretty hard and the i usually never even get the abs "buzzing" but if i do, i feel that i was going too hard...if it comes on you know you may have lost control...keeping your driving at the edge of that is what you should do....:cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
i HAVE abs ON MY 99 sel

i DIDNT CHOOSE TO GET THEM . MY CAR WAS ORDERED THAT WAY BY SOMEONE ELSE WHO BACKED OUT, SO I GOT THEM as well as the sunroof, i'm 280 a month with nothing down

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 1998 dealer brochure lists ABS as OPTIONAL for all models. It appears it wasn't popular (overpriced maybe?) as used altys w/ ABS are hard to find. It sucks it wasn't standard on the SE or GLE.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
The way Nissan was doing in 2000-2001 it was only putting in ABS in Altimas with certain option configurations. If you wanted to get ABS, you could only find it in cars that has side air bags, sunroof, etc… You couldn't get ABS as the only option, you has to take it all. I'll bet that's the way it was for 98-99. They only put it in loaded cars.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: i HAVE abs ON MY 99 sel

selimited said:
i DIDNT CHOOSE TO GET THEM . MY CAR WAS ORDERED THAT WAY BY SOMEONE ELSE WHO BACKED OUT, SO I GOT THEM as well as the sunroof, i'm 280 a month with nothing down
You didn't want the roof?

·
Registered
116 Posts
kenshi said:
The way Nissan was doing in 2000-2001 it was only putting in ABS in Altimas with certain option configurations. If you wanted to get ABS, you could only find it in cars that has side air bags, sunroof, etc… You couldn't get ABS as the only option, you has to take it all. I'll bet that's the way it was for 98-99. They only put it in loaded cars.
I can't quite remember if ABS required other options, but I remember most of my option were link to others.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
dgoodhue said:

I can't quite remember if ABS required other options, but I remember most of my option were link to others.
It wasn't that the ABS option was linked to other options, Nissan just wasn't building Altimas with ABS unless they were loaded.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts