The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.So my AC was always working superb. One day it just stopped working completely. My car is 2014 Nissan Altima S 2.5L.

I measured pressure with ac harbor freight ac manifold gauge and AC Low side is closing extremely high closing the meter gauge at over 350 psi (low side) and Hi side is 125 psi which is low as it should be around 225-250psi and that is with outside temp at 85F. This is the pressure with engine off and engine on and ac on on max. It is the same for both.

I have turned ac on with button, fan on max. max ac button on as well and checked compressor. The compressor clutch is NOT engaging at all. I can freely move the clutch wheel even when ac system is on. The reminder of compressor is spinning with belts. I have tried to hit it with key to see if it would engage but no luck with that.

I checked ac fuse. Changed it to different, new 10 amp and no change. Tried to find AC replay but there that's build and NOT 3 fuse boxes i looked in, and you can't take that out from what I've read. I was trying to engage compressor clutch with jumper cable to bypass relay and just actuate clutch with always ON for troubleshooting. I don't think i can do this on this car as there is no fuse labeled ac relay anywhere in 3 fuse boxes.

Anyone had issue like that or does anyone know what the issue is based on what i've troubleshooted so far? I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Your blue gauge may say 350 but the printed number is incompetent. You can't simply jump from 120 psi directly to 350.

You are on the needle stop but if you extrapolate the blue gauge number from the 120 you are at least around 140 and that makes both gauges reading the same which both will at compressor not turning. You actually have around 140 and 140 on both gauges. At a temp of 85 degrees likely a little too high.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Incompetent maybe, but even the gauge says 'retard'...not that you can say that anymore...

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's too much pressure. Double check with another gauge from an auto parts store or a friend. Both side should have the same pressure if the system is not running, otherwise there is an obstruction inside the system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's too much pressure. Double check with another gauge from an auto parts store or a friend. Both side should have the same pressure if the system is not running, otherwise there is an obstruction inside the system.
"The obstruction inside the system" is correct. It was safety system that shuts down A/C to prevent compressor damage when your A/C system gets low on A/C gas.

Refill fixed it but didn't stop my mechanic for charging me $200 for this service. Now he went and cut my A/C sensor wire so i would pay him, then he soldered it back on.

He tried to recoup his day lost of troubleshooting cost of him and his worker but it was all safety system he was not aware of at the time, hence wire cut. Shady but he knew i was going to complain so this why i hate car mechanics, doctors and lawyers. Bunch of thieves, all of them!!!!

Hope you guys benefit from this as it cost me $200 to find this out. Refill one can every 2 yrs and you won't have this problem. I wouldn't mind few ppl tip me cup off coffee for this info. I know no one will but enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well at least you got it fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

"The obstruction inside the system" is correct. It was safety system that shuts down A/C to prevent compressor damage when your A/C system gets low on A/C gas.

Refill fixed it but didn't stop my mechanic for charging me $200 for this service. Now he went and cut my A/C sensor wire so i would pay him, then he soldered it back on.

He tried to recoup his day lost of troubleshooting cost of him and his worker but it was all safety system he was not aware of at the time, hence wire cut. Shady but he knew i was going to complain so this why i hate car mechanics, doctors and lawyers. Bunch of thieves, all of them!!!!

Hope you guys benefit from this as it cost me $200 to find this out.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Uh, there was NO obstruction there as the switch for low pressure does not work that way, which if done can easily blow your compressor into pieces. The switch simply cuts the power circuit to clutch off. There was no need to refill either, I'm betting the one wire if right there at compressor was the clutch power lead and simply cut or broken would stop clutch from coming on. Fixing that wire alone would have the a/c back to working instantly. At those indicated gauge pressures you had plenty of refrigerant to make cold.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Look at OP pic in post #1 and my reply in post #2, he interpreted gauge result wrong. The pressures were dead even and signifying a system not running, he himself also said the clutch was not on. You can't have a pressure differential with a/c not working.

One has to know that you can't make a whole bourdon tube type dial range go to 120 psi in 3 inches then jump to 350 in a quarter inch, no gauge on earth does that, a cheap Chinese gauge thing. If you simply guess at where the numbers would be if the range continued both gauges end up being virtually the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I read your post. If the gauges aren't reading correctly, then the only people who know what the pressure was would be whoever checked it at the shop. Also, he said he got it fixed so I don't think he is worried about it now.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The gauges ARE reading correctly, it is a problem of having to be smarter than the gauge.

And if you consider it a non-event when a single wire got put back together for $200..............well, maybe you should read to learn otherwise, as in.......

'Hope you guys benefit from this as it cost me $200 to find this out.'

That doesn't sound happy or like this final judgement at all.........

'I don't think he is worried about it now.'

Truth is not truth and alternative facts that are not facts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The gauges ARE reading correctly
Then there is a difference in pressure. Don't insult people's intelligence on here. Like I said, he is not worried about his car anymore, as it is working now. Otherwise he would comment.

If you are not going to be nice I will no longer respond either. Have a good day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts