The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, could use some advise on trying to diagnose my Nissan Altima 2013 AC issue. No cold air was coming out of vents at all for about 2 years. Now we are trying to troubleshoot it. Replaced the valve, condenser and cabin filter so far. Compressor sounds like it’s clicking on. We charged it but didn’t use a vacuum although my boyfriend did release some air and charge it to try and flush the system. When he did that, I started getting some cold air out of the passenger side vents but not drivers side.
I’m trying to find out if it’s the compressor, the blend door or the temp control or whatever else.
Any advice? TIA

·
Registered
182 Posts
You and your BF are way over your heads with attempting to fix your A/C system now that you've replaced parts that might have been okay and allowed air and moisture to get into the refrigerant lines.

But here's my two cents worth of help as someone who knows slightly more about this than you.

Did you notice any loud noises from the compressor before your A/C system stopped working? Did the system get warmer slowly over time? Or did the A/C function one day and stop working the next? Do you have the SV or SL trim models or the base or S trim models? The differences between these will help guide you to the likely cause for the failure.

Okay, here's the first mistake you made when you started working on the A/C. Before disconnecting anything, you needed to check if there was refrigerant still in the system by attaching an A/C manifold gauge to the high and low pressure ports to check the static pressure. A charged A/C system will have about 90 psi of pressure high and low side at 80°F. You check the static pressure with the A/C system turned off (compressor stopped).

Too late now for that as you've let air and moisture get into the system and haven't removed it by drawing a vacuum on it. It's really important that you do so for two reasons. First, you will find out if there are any leaks. Second, you will completely fill the system with refrigerant and not have any air or moisture remaining within it when you recharge it with 18 ounces of HF-134A.

You said that the compressor sounds like it's clicking on. Well, you need to verify this by completing what is known as an auto active test (ipdm self test) of the compressor clutch.

Let's say you've just completed these steps and determined that the static pressure is good and that the compressor clutch engages. If you don't have any other component issues (faulty refrigerant pressure sensor or an electrical fault), you should have A/C again when starting the engine and turning the A/C switch on in the cabin.

But if you're still not getting cold air out of the vents when turning on the A/C you need to see if the compressor clutch is engaging which it should do when you engage the A/C switch. If it's not, you might have an electrical fault that's preventing the ipdm relay from supplying ground to the compressor clutch. If this is your problem and if you're lucky like I was it will be just a broken wire and you'll be able to fix your system in a jiffy. Here's what happened to the A/C in my 2014 a couple of months ago.

Kudos for your bravery (and sorry to say, your ignorance) for attempting this repair. Hope you find out the root cause for the failure and are able to fix it on your own.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I saw this posted in a Medical forum and thought of this A/C issue here:

Hi all, could use some advise on trying to diagnose my abdominal pains and high blood pressure issue. This has been going on for about 2 years. Now we are trying to troubleshoot it. My boyfriend removed one kidney, spleen and appendix so far. Heart sounds like it’s clicking on and off OK. We charged it but didn’t use a vacuum although my boyfriend did release some air after eating spicy Mexican food and charge it to try and flush the system. When he did that, I started getting less pain out of the passenger side vents but not drivers side.

I’m trying to find out if it’s my heart, the stomach acid reflux, or the temp control or whatever else.

We are trying to do this diagnosis without the assistance of medical professionals, because we don't want to spend the money. Both my boyfriend and I have watched every episode of Chicago Hope and Grey's Anatomy, plus we know how to Google.

Any advice? TIA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts