The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
"Member"
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've noticed that when i slow down to less then 25 when going faster, ex. making a turn or maybe doing a roll by on a stop sign, my car has problems accelerating. like if its lacking power then if i step on it a lil more, it just jumps and goes. anyone know the problem with it or maybe it's just altimas that do that. it just seems when i'm in high rpms and the rpms lower i have a problem getting my rpms back up.

·
f*cked up repugnant sh*t
7,745 Posts
have you had a tune up recently? i had the same problem....had plugs and wires and a few other little things replaced and it's pretty much better now.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I agree I would do a tune up, I think it is probably in the injectors, so change the fuel filter, and run an injector cleaner through first. achually check the spark plug, wires, and distributor, becuase checking and gaping stuff is free.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
ae2198 said:
i've noticed that when i slow down to less then 25 when going faster, ex. making a turn or maybe doing a roll by on a stop sign, my car has problems accelerating. like if its lacking power then if i step on it a lil more, it just jumps and goes. anyone know the problem with it or maybe it's just altimas that do that. it just seems when i'm in high rpms and the rpms lower i have a problem getting my rpms back up.
Automatic, right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just had my 60,000 mile service done on my 97 gxe, auto, a couple weeks ago and mine does the same thing. I would also like to know what could be done to fix this.

·
Registered
482 Posts
hey man, my oak pistons are only for the serious minded altima enthusiast, now posibly I can widdle some out of pine to meet his needs, Ill even weather treat them for free.

·
founding father
1,709 Posts
its actually a gear selection thing. with mine it'll do the same thingbecause when you do a "rolling stop" the tranny doesn't always go into 1st gear. it'll stay in second and accelarting from 3 miles/hr in 2nd gear isn't the best for acceleration. check to see if its in 2nd...i bet it is. if thats the case then just floor it!

·
founding father
1,709 Posts
well if you're doing the "rolling stop" and you slowly get on the gas...then floor it and it downshifts you can usually tell if its in 1st...you start moving

·
"Member"
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's an automatic.

most likely it just needs a tune-up, i hope. it just lags for a couple of seconds, then it just picks up, but no problem from a stand still. it's either needs a tune-up or it's just the gears.

anyone think something different?

·
the 1 and only KING DOG
760 Posts
get a pulley orlando put mine on friday and let me tell i love it power like a [email protected]#$%er....

·
Banned
1,676 Posts
No Actually you DON'T need a tune- up...unless you want one....cause you'll be very disappointed to get one...and still have the same prob.

Automatic altimas will not downshift to first gear unless you come to a COMPLETE stop or sometimes 1mph (yes 1 mph).

Being in second gear at 1-5 mph- you will lag like hell but if you give it more gas it'll jump to a higher rpm(that should be your over drive kicking in) try NOT to floor it.

·
"Member"
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kevykev said:
No Actually you DON'T need a tune- up...unless you want one....cause you'll be very disappointed to get one...and still have the same prob.

Automatic altimas will not downshift to first gear unless you come to a COMPLETE stop or sometimes 1mph (yes 1 mph).

Being in second gear at 1-5 mph- you will lag like hell but if you give it more gas it'll jump to a higher rpm(that should be your over drive kicking in) try NOT to floor it.
sounds right, guess it's not a major problem. thanks guys.

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
I've been noticing the same thing, too with my '01 auto.

·
Banned
1,676 Posts
93-01 altimas are basically the same engine and transmission setup.

When i first bought my car i noticed it, so i test drove my cousin's 97, my boys 97, my girls 93..and guess what...the same thing....

So i called Nissan and the guy explained everything in detail about how it's does this for engine effeiciency and all that garbage....

Bottom Line.....no need to worry!

·
Registered
66 Posts
True! I hate that FU$%KING design. won't go to 1st till a dead stop. Is there a shift kit out there????? Gotta be a way around it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Kevykev said:
4th gear is overdrive on an automatic Altima. By "Being in second gear" and "give it more gas an it'll jump to a higher rpm" can only mean that the transmission will shift to a lower gear. In your example that would be first gear.

·
super primer mobile
1,030 Posts
damn, sometimes my manual doesn't go into first gear (when it's cold and I just started it) without coming to a complete stop, so it's a design thing, don't worry about it, that's what the gas pedal is for.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Kevykev said:

Exactly! I was thinking about this when I rolled out of my subdivision this AM at about 8-10 mph and when I got on the gas lightly, I could tell it was in 3rd! Talk about pokey! I could tell because I gave it a little more and when it downshifted as I accelerated it was obvious from the speed/rpms that I had dropped to 2nd. It is one of the only real beefs I have with the car, though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts