The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to plasti dip my grille black on my 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. I went outside to see how I could get access to the radiator to cover it up so that plasti dip doesn't get into it while I'm spraying. I see some plastic, but the pieces of plastic holding it in place don't seem to screw off and I don't want to pull it off and break it. Any suggestions as to how to get access?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Drop the front bumper and then spray it far away from your car. Should take you 20-30 min, even for a first timer. You'll get better control over the spray environment (wind/temp/bugs/dust) too.

Note: when you drop the front bumper skirt the grill comes with it. Not sure I'd like to try separating the grill from the bumper skirt after a few years of rust.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
A little more info...

Everything is held on by pop clips. Gently pry the centre button up about 3/8", then wiggle the plug out of the hole. Works a lot like drywall wall plugs. there are 5 or 7 across the top, 5 big ones hold the bumper to the under engine splash shield and a few extras on the sides. There are 3 philips screws at the corner of each fender, and one bigger screw that is hidden behind the fender liner right where the plastic bumper meets the metal fender (about 10 o'clock on the driver side wheel). The pop clips are all the same except for the 5 that go along the bottom front lip of the bumper. Dealer stocks both...but try not to break the big ones, they are like 6x as much as the little ones.

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
Even less work if only the grille is removed:

Post #30 (I found it when I was looking into my non-working A/C this past summer; removing the grille was to access the refrigerant pressure sensor)

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...on-2-5-3-5/278243-removing-sedan-grill-2.html

The tricky bits here are the 2 clips that you get to from the top, one at each end of the grille. The other clips are all pretty easy to deal with.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
I second just removing the grille for painting.

However, I had to drop the front in order to get to the clips that held the grille in place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure why I wouldn't just remove the plastic piece covering the radiator and slip some cardboard in between the radiator and the grille and start painting like it is in the YouTube tutorial. I plasti dipped my wheels with the wheels on the car, I just wrapped the brakes in trash bags and started. Peeled the excess plasti dip off the tires afterwards. My question was answered though; I know now how to take off the plastic piece covering the radiator.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
Not sure why I wouldn't just remove the plastic piece covering the radiator and slip some cardboard in between the radiator and the grille and start painting like it is in the YouTube tutorial. I plasti dipped my wheels with the wheels on the car, I just wrapped the brakes in trash bags and started. Peeled the excess plasti dip off the tires afterwards. My question was answered though; I know now how to take off the plastic piece covering the radiator.
My suggestion was based on the fact that I was unable to remove all of the dip from my tires and it they rubber looked like crap. Glad you were able to peel it all off correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts