The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand, HID kits are now illegal in the US. But I'm gonna see if I can get one anyway. Where would be the best place to get one and where could I have it installed (not something I'd want to do myself).

·
Registered
767 Posts
ooMikeoo said:
Where did you hear that they are illegal?, all new high end luxury cars come stock with hids.......
aftermarket HID kits have been illegal for sometime now because they improperly project the beam pattern. stock HID kits, however, are fine. You can still find people selling conversion kits on ebay though.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
(_(V)_)ystik said:
aftermarket HID kits have been illegal for sometime now because they improperly project the beam pattern. stock HID kits, however, are fine. You can still find people selling conversion kits on ebay though.

ur wrong on one thing. here is why.....if you read the back of our headlights it says it is made for h1 or 2dr bulbs, the 2dr is the factory HIDs bulbs. meaning the point of light is in the same spot for each type of bulb for projection in our housing. So u use an aftermarket HID kit with the point of light the same distance as the h1 bulb you are fine. and you dont have to worry about the light being projects wrongfully or in the opposing traffics eyes. and if cops pull u over. show them the 2dr writing on the back, they cant agrue that in court

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't know that the non-HID cars headlight housing were designed for HID also. Guess it's techinically not illegal for me to use a HID kit then. From what I've heard Hella and Philips are the best. Are there any other good brands to look for?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
cmirza said:
I didn't know that the non-HID cars headlight housing were designed for HID also. Guess it's techinically not illegal for me to use a HID kit then. From what I've heard Hella and Philips are the best. Are there any other good brands to look for?
i have a 6000k phillips kit. i love it. i only had one problem thus far and that was with the wiring harness. The harness was not phillips made it was the company i bought it from but they replaced it for free.

·
9:15
2,688 Posts
HotBody07 said:
ur wrong on one thing. here is why.....if you read the back of our headlights it says it is made for h1 or 2dr bulbs, the 2dr is the factory HIDs bulbs. meaning the point of light is in the same spot for each type of bulb for projection in our housing. So u use an aftermarket HID kit with the point of light the same distance as the h1 bulb you are fine. and you dont have to worry about the light being projects wrongfully or in the opposing traffics eyes. and if cops pull u over. show them the 2dr writing on the back, they cant agrue that in court
wrong, xenon capsules in any type of housing not designed for xenon do not work the same, period

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Jaystarzz said:
wrong, xenon capsules in any type of housing not designed for xenon do not work the same, period

read the back of the housing. it says h1 and 2dr and has the lil approved logo on there. which means nissan would not beable to get the headlights approved for use on the US roads unless the beams where directed correctly. is that what ur talking about? cuz like i said they housings on the altima are approved for xenon lights.

thats why actual jap. JDM lights point their beam on the opposite direction so oncoming traffic in the US are blinded by them.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Jaystarzz said:
Yeah I know about DOT & JDM regulations. . what I'm saying is the H1 & Xenon housing are different. Try to match up the focal points as closely as possibly, I guarantee you one won't get the same results. .

i agree they focal points are different but the housing states they are made for the sizes. i think Dept of Trans and Nissan know more than we do about their housings. im not saying all housings are made for both the halo and the xenon but the altimas are stated on their.

·
1st, 3rd, 3rd, 5th Gen
2,266 Posts
HotBody07 said:
i agree they focal points are different but the housing states they are made for the sizes. i think Dept of Trans and Nissan know more than we do about their housings. im not saying all housings are made for both the halo and the xenon but the altimas are stated on their.

listen to the man they're different. i gurrantee you. the back of the housing is the same and the plastic part on the inside iss to. the reflector is the different part. nissan did this to be more cost effective.

Jay knows his stuff man. and so do I. it's illegal to put Xeon in a non-Xeon car period.

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
HotBody07 said:
read the back of the housing. it says h1 and 2dr and has the lil approved logo on there. which means nissan would not beable to get the headlights approved for use on the US roads unless the beams where directed correctly.
This 2dr must be only on the OEM HID housing cause I dont see it on mine..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts