The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot decide which clutch I should get?
on CA.com it says stage II is not recommended for street use, but Stage I is only recommended for small shots of nitrous. I run a 125hp shot all the time. You guys think I should get the stage II? Obviously stage III is way too much :D

Getting this and the flywheel installed probably next weekend after my leather is installed :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
mayb you should hit the sti or evo forum cuz they go through clutches alot more than we do. i have read alot about clutches on the evo forum. its good info....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey dude you got the phillips HID 6K kit? Awesome kit huh? you didn't have that last time I saw you right?
 

·
My little champion...
Joined
·
4,966 Posts
altimized02 said:
I cannot decide which clutch I should get?
on CA.com it says stage II is not recommended for street use, but Stage I is only recommended for small shots of nitrous. I run a 125hp shot all the time. You guys think I should get the stage II? Obviously stage III is way too much :D

Getting this and the flywheel installed probably next weekend after my leather is installed :)
Hmmm... The STOCK clutch is handling your 125 shot fine. ACT clutches are usually BETTER THAN STOCK, so what gives? I would believe that any aftermarket clutch would be better than stock.

While you're in there, get a lightened flywheel as well... It helps the revs climb quicker, so overall it makes an incredible difference.
 

·
X-Mod
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
Be careful with aftermarket clutches/light flywheels, and don't buy more clutch than you absolutely need. A friend of mine had a clutch/flywheel in his SE-R and that thing was on or off. Every launch was a tire screeching neck snapper, or the car stalled. Beware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah thats what I was worried about. I've heard the Stage I is really nice, and yeah it
a harsher engagement than stock but the stock clutch is a sissy clutch man so I'm sure I would love stage I. So yeah I'm gonna go with stage I. I'm betting the Stage II clutch is really aweful for driving around town. Especially since sometimes I just want to take it easy in my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
My friend has a stage 1 and it is not to bad but takes awile to learn how to launch, I think the stage 2 would be much harder..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well there is a group buy for exedy, spec, and act flywheels and clutches right now so I'm gonna do that, if anyone else is close to replacing their clutch I'd get in on this.
 

·
A+, MCP
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm considering buying ACT clutch kit. The problem with JW is it must work with JW's flywheel as well. With labor that'll cost around $1k. That's a bit too much. How much do you guys pay for the installation with either ACT or JW? My gf brother's friend asked for $200 for just installing the clutch (not flywheel.) Isn't that a good deal?
 

·
My little champion...
Joined
·
4,966 Posts
HKNinja said:
Hi guys,

I'm considering buying ACT clutch kit. The problem with JW is it must work with JW's flywheel as well. With labor that'll cost around $1k. That's a bit too much. How much do you guys pay for the installation with either ACT or JW? My gf brother's friend asked for $200 for just installing the clutch (not flywheel.) Isn't that a good deal?
Great deal - DEAD THREAD!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HKNinja said:
Hi guys,

I'm considering buying ACT clutch kit. The problem with JW is it must work with JW's flywheel as well. With labor that'll cost around $1k. That's a bit too much. How much do you guys pay for the installation with either ACT or JW? My gf brother's friend asked for $200 for just installing the clutch (not flywheel.) Isn't that a good deal?
Thats a GREAT deal, but why not do the flywheel too? Once you take the clutch out its a matter of 10 more minutes to change the flywheel out
:lol: Don't do ACT do JWT clutch or Spec they are better than ACT and are proven good clutches in this particular car. At the very least get the JWT stage 1 clutch that is a REALLY nice clutch. THe JWT stage 2 is just INCREDIBLE
 

·
You'd lose.
Joined
·
4,937 Posts
Spec makes good clutches, but (at least in the LS1 world) if you don't get the X-Pad clutch, e prepared for chatter.

For us, stage 1 is an upgraded stock-type clutch (never heard of anyone running one), stage 2 is for small mods, stage 3 is suitable for an intake/exhaust car up to something running 450rwhp. The stage 3 is a pretty on/off clutch, and when you get into that much clamping power (350-450rwhp+) you really want that. The upper clutches, stage 4 and 5, are race only. Supposedly the stage 3 is a daily drivable clutch, even though it's pretty on/off, it's not a neck-snapper.

Don't know if Textralia makes stuff for you guys, but they are the BEST. Definitely worth looking into.
 

·
A+, MCP
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Well, it's not that I don't want flywheel, but the price together is just way over what I'm willing to pay for. My Alti is my daily driving car and I want faster clutch engagement to accomdiate my short shifter but I don't want an extremely hard-to-drive car. $ is the big issue. I think my OEM clutch is running thin coz the engagement point is getting higher and higher. That's the main reason I started looking into a replacment clutch, and since I'm going to change it, I want a performance clutch, not extreme high performance. Afterall, it's a 2.5, not G35 Coupe. :)

altimized02 said:
Thats a GREAT deal, but why not do the flywheel too? Once you take the clutch out its a matter of 10 more minutes to change the flywheel out
:lol: Don't do ACT do JWT clutch or Spec they are better than ACT and are proven good clutches in this particular car. At the very least get the JWT stage 1 clutch that is a REALLY nice clutch. THe JWT stage 2 is just INCREDIBLE
 

·
You'd lose.
Joined
·
4,937 Posts
HKNinja said:
Well, it's not that I don't want flywheel, but the price together is just way over what I'm willing to pay for. My Alti is my daily driving car and I want faster clutch engagement to accomdiate my short shifter but I don't want an extremely hard-to-drive car. $ is the big issue. I think my OEM clutch is running thin coz the engagement point is getting higher and higher. That's the main reason I started looking into a replacment clutch, and since I'm going to change it, I want a performance clutch, not extreme high performance. Afterall, it's a 2.5, not G35 Coupe. :)
It's not just the clutch that determines the release point, it's also your master cylinder. A new flywheel won't make your car any less drivable, and if you stick with the stock flywheel, it'll need to come out to be resurfaced anyway.

Uf you're not worried about having a hard-gripping clutch, just buy an OEM and put it in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats why the JWT is so great, the stage II is still organic so you can still slip it a bit (not much but you learn how to do it) Where spec stage III which is the equivelant to the JWT stage 2 is a 3 puck i think which is on/off.

Yeah if you ever plan to run anything but just bolt ons like nitrous, supercharger, cams etc. get a stage 2.
 

·
You'd lose.
Joined
·
4,937 Posts
altimized02 said:
thats why the JWT is so great, the stage II is still organic so you can still slip it a bit (not much but you learn how to do it) Where spec stage III which is the equivelant to the JWT stage 2 is a 3 puck i think which is on/off.

Yeah if you ever plan to run anything but just bolt ons like nitrous, supercharger, cams etc. get a stage 2.
Stage 3 is ceramic, 6 puck. There's some clutches guys have put in that actually grab so hard at WOT, it causes the other driveline parts (specifically, the rear axle) to decide to go boom.
 

·
A+, MCP
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Hey CvlEngAltima,

Well, I guess my master cylinder is fine and the clutch is probably wearing out. The $200 is including resurfacing the flywheel. The problem with flywheel is not the drivability, but the price.

As I mentioned, I want a harder clutch but still good for everyday driving. I know the higher stage clutch are basically on and off for track driving, not good for street. Not ready to break my nack on the way to work, yet.

CvlEngAltima said:
It's not just the clutch that determines the release point, it's also your master cylinder. A new flywheel won't make your car any less drivable, and if you stick with the stock flywheel, it'll need to come out to be resurfaced anyway.

Uf you're not worried about having a hard-gripping clutch, just buy an OEM and put it in there.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top