The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have the bose stereo and ive heard that adding an aftermarket HU requires you to change all the speakers too...i find it hard to believe, but for right now i am considering using the pd-2 to add and amp and sub from AudioLink. I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with this product.

·
ItalianStallion
325 Posts
no expierence with that particular company, but alot of people would say that the 100 dollers you spend on the link would just about pay for a pair of speakers. If you have to buy two two channels to hook 4 speakers it is $200 (or 150 if you get the 4 channel) sometimes that is more than what some people would spend on speakers alone and they would just assume get new speakers that hook up old bose ones to new h/u .
Kinda seee some peoples logic? its not can it be done? its is it practiacal for the cost? and personally id rather have all new speakers amyway imo

·
Korner Kutter
40 Posts
You will have to replace the speakers because they are powered by the radio, the bose amp on the rear deck is for the 6x9;s only which are crossed over at 80HZ to produce low end.

You can add a sub/amp and keep the interior speakers by using the high-level adaptor supplied with your amp, and tap into the rear speaker wires. The tapped into the amp ACC for my amp remote wire(This is what I have now).

To change the radio requires new speakers because of the ohms that bose uses for their speaker/amp combo's.

I was told all this by a Pro-Installer who bought his wife a 3.5.

I am running a Kicker12L7 off an RF 500.2(700rms) right now, but I will upgrade to a JBL BP1200.1 for the 12L7 and use the 500.2 for Infinity Kappa Components (6.5 for front, 5.25 for rear, if you didn't already know).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh, ok..i was thinking about running off the rear level inputs, but was wondering how the sound quality was going to be...does your setup sound good with the inputs for the amp as speaker level inputs?

The whole ohm thing...i never thought about that, i had to change all the speakers in my mother's olds ciera wagon cause they were 10ohms when i changed the hu:)

thanks for some info

·
Korner Kutter
40 Posts
it sounds ok off the rear levels leads, but it leaves something to be desired. It is just fine for a temporary fix to me, until I decide If I want that Pioneer CD/DVD/ player with the built in monitor or the new Premier CD/MP3.

I can't wait to get some comps, but I can't do that until I have decided on an HU.

·
Out of post-whore rehab..
767 Posts
CLE_NastyNupe said:
You will have to replace the speakers because they are powered by the radio, the bose amp on the rear deck is for the 6x9;s only which are crossed over at 80HZ to produce low end.

You can add a sub/amp and keep the interior speakers by using the high-level adaptor supplied with your amp, and tap into the rear speaker wires. The tapped into the amp ACC for my amp remote wire(This is what I have now).

To change the radio requires new speakers because of the ohms that bose uses for their speaker/amp combo's.

I was told all this by a Pro-Installer who bought his wife a 3.5.

I am running a Kicker12L7 off an RF 500.2(700rms) right now, but I will upgrade to a JBL BP1200.1 for the 12L7 and use the 500.2 for Infinity Kappa Components (6.5 for front, 5.25 for rear, if you didn't already know).
Ummmmmmmm, NO. The only thing you have to do when installing an aftermarket head unit is on the wiring harness (to adapt from stock to aftermarket) is hook up the remote wire from your new head unit to the remote wire in the wiring harness........ THAT IS ALL!!!! don't let anyone stick it to ya. I called a "pro stereo shop" and they told me that noone makes install kits for the new Alty. Then I called best Buy and guess what???? They had an install kit and wiring harness (didn't need the harness though, but whole other story). I have 3 10's and my system bumps with all my stockies hooked up.:D Not trying to be a dick or anything, just people will take you for what they can get out of you.:angry2:

·
Korner Kutter
40 Posts
boominstereo said:

Ummmmmmmm, NO. The only thing you have to do when installing an aftermarket head unit is on the wiring harness (to adapt from stock to aftermarket) is hook up the remote wire from your new head unit to the remote wire in the wiring harness........ THAT IS ALL!!!! don't let anyone stick it to ya. I called a "pro stereo shop" and they told me that noone makes install kits for the new Alty. Then I called best Buy and guess what???? They had an install kit and wiring harness (didn't need the harness though, but whole other story). I have 3 10's and my system bumps with all my stockies hooked up.:D Not trying to be a dick or anything, just people will take you for what they can get out of you.:angry2:
What the hell are you talking about? Did you even read the original question. Read the question first then make comments!

·
767 Posts
CLE_NastyNupe said:

What the hell are you talking about? Did you even read the original question. Read the question first then make comments!
Yes I did...... If you noticed (which you obviously didn't) :rolleyes: I was telling Rok that he DIDN'T have to change all the speakers and whoever you talked to had no fucking clue! So I must have typed in some other language, because you posted without reading everything.

·
Korner Kutter
40 Posts
boominstereo said:

Yes I did...... If you noticed (which you obviously didn't) :rolleyes: I was telling Rok that he DIDN'T have to change all the speakers and whoever you talked to had no fucking clue! So I must have typed in some other language, because you posted without reading everything.
Nobody told "Rok" that he had to do anything! I said what an installer suggested for me to do!

Once again read the original post.....children.

·
767 Posts
CLE_NastyNupe said:
Sure, didn't tell him to do anything..... You can't even read YOUR OWN posts!! Just a piece of advice, kno what you're talking about before you post.... You make yourself look more and more like a dumbass everytime you hit the submit button.

·
Korner Kutter
40 Posts
So what you are saying is that if you replace the HU with an aftermarket HU you will not have to replace the speakers?

If so, you know something that I and everyone else with a 02' with the Bose system on this forum does not know.

·
767 Posts
CLE_NastyNupe said:
So what you are saying is that if you replace the HU with an aftermarket HU you will not have to replace the speakers?

If so, you know something that I and everyone else with a 02' with the Bose system on this forum does not know.
Correct. Let me give you details. I have a Kenwood H/U KDV-6017 (something like that). With that H/U (or any for that reason) you connect the remote wire from the headunit to the remote on your new wiring harness (and amp remote if you have one). It's that easy! I wasn't trying to be a dick, I was just trying to tell you that there is no reason to swap all your speakers if you don't have to:D

·
Korner Kutter
40 Posts
That's pretty cool. I appreciate that now that we are on the same communication page! So the new HU will power the Bose speakers?

This will speed up my selection of a new HU. BTW, how did you find out?

·
767 Posts
It was actually easier than I thought. That's why I was saying whoever you talked to didn't know what they were talking about.

I first installed my H/U and got no sound out of the speakers.

Basically, the problem we have is the 2002 is new, so all the info about them takes some time to get around. I called a "reputable" Car Audio store here, and asked if they knew how to hook it up. The guy asked me "how are you installing it, there is no install kit on the market?". I told him I got my install kit at Best Buy and he told me to "call them, maybe they know". So, that's what I did. I have the steering wheel controls, so I thought with the 3 plugs in the stock unit, maybe there was a different harness for the Bose system. Nope..... same harness used in the 95 and up. He told me just to hook up the H/U remote wire to the Reomte wire on the harness...... and BAM!!! It all works, and you can tell an extreme difference between the stock and the aftermarket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.