The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. We just got a 2014 Altima and ours doesn't have the remote start option but when I was checking the Nissan website it shows I can add it to my car.

My question is, is this the same thing that is factory installed or an aftermarket kit where I would have to have two key fobs? From what I've seen on the website it shows a factory Nissan key fob that as the remote start button added to it. I'm sure the kit comes with replacement fobs if it's a factory option add-on. I don't want an aftermarket kit I would like it to be what you would be if it were already installed from the factory. I've been driving a loaner car from the dealer and the loaner had the remote start option added to it.

Any info would be great Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey everyone. We just got a 2014 Altima and ours doesn't have the remote start option but when I was checking the Nissan website it shows I can add it to my car.

My question is, is this the same thing that is factory installed or an aftermarket kit where I would have to have two key fobs? From what I've seen on the website it shows a factory Nissan key fob that as the remote start button added to it. I'm sure the kit comes with replacement fobs if it's a factory option add-on. I don't want an aftermarket kit I would like it to be what you would be if it were already installed from the factory. I've been driving a loaner car from the dealer and the loaner had the remote start option added to it.

Any info would be great Thanks
My SL's came with remote start, but I remembered finding this when I was looking for something else, New 2013 Altima Sedan Remote Engine Start Kit Must Be Programmed at Dealer | eBay . The installation instructions are here, http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_1/diskdocs/1/T/R/1TR26.PDF .

While the installation doesn't look difficult physically, the fobs need to be linked to the car using CONSULT and the keys need to be cut at the dealer, so it may make sense to pay them to do the whole job.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I do not believe remote start is factory installed, it's dealer installed.
Same as the OEM spoiler.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In Canada, as an example, my 2.5 SL included a factory remote start. But compared to after-market options I find it next to useless.

1) Range is very limited - approx 197 ft as per the manual.
2) To remote start you must first press the lock button, then the start button. Most after market units that I know of will lock the doors in the process of starting the car, if the owner was foolish enough to leave them unlocked.
3) After 2 remote starts, the car has to be started the regular way before it can be remote started again. Sort of defeats the purpose, especially in this climate in the winter.

So I would go with an after-market unit.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the S model and did this upgrade search e-bay for a oem remote start kit and that consist of 2 key fabs and a hood latch.
I installed the hood latch myself just bolt on and plug in ,its a safety feature so you cant remotely start the car with the hood open.
Go to your local nissan dealer and have your 2 new fobs programmed now your done and ready to use the remote start feature.
Have been enjoying this feature during the hot summer months pre cooling the car or starting from inside the house.

·
Registered
370 Posts
In Canada, as an example, my 2.5 SL included a factory remote start. But compared to after-market options I find it next to useless.

2) To remote start you must first press the lock button, then the start button. Most after market units that I know of will lock the doors in the process of starting the car, if the owner was foolish enough to leave them unlocked.
3) After 2 remote starts, the car has to be started the regular way before it can be remote started again. Sort of defeats the purpose, especially in this climate in the winter.

1. I get the range is lacking comparatively
2. Plenty of people leave doors unlocked. My car is parked in a garage so I leave the doors unlocked.
3. Likely a safety precaution in case the car is in an enclosed structure like a garage. Could kill you with CO gas potentially.

·
Registered
272 Posts

You silly Cannucks..

#2 is there so that you don't accidentally start the car in your pocket, it's one extra step you have to do in order to get the car started.

Think lock screens for phones, or even the "Press 1234 to Unlock" back in the day before flip phones in order to prevent butt dialing.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

1. Never found the range to be a problem. It has always started for me, even with other cars including vans in the way.
2. What's the big deal about this? Are you too lazy to press one extra button which take 0.2 seconds (if that).
3. This does not seem to be true. This morning at 530 AM I remote started it before going to work. At lunch break I remote started it. When I left work I remote started it. I went to a barber shop to get a hair cut, when leaving, I remote started it. Today all I have used is remote start, 4 times. I plan to remote start it again tonight, which will make it 5 consecutive remote starts without starting the car by depressing the brake pedal and pushing the start button.

Reactions: StoliFTW

·
Registered
35 Posts
3. This does not seem to be true. This morning at 530 AM I remote started it before going to work. At lunch break I remote started it. When I left work I remote started it. I went to a barber shop to get a hair cut, when leaving, I remote started it. Today all I have used is remote start, 4 times. I plan to remote start it again tonight, which will make it 5 consecutive remote starts without starting the car by depressing the brake pedal and pushing the start button.
It is true. It only allows two CONSECUTIVE remote starts without driving. You can make as many cumulative starts per day as you want as long as they each follow a "press start while holding the brake" activation after a remote start.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It is true. It only allows two CONSECUTIVE remote starts without driving. You can make as many cumulative starts per day as you want as long as they each follow a "press start while holding the brake" activation after a remote start.
Please explain to me why anyone would want to remote start their car more then twice in a row without driving it?

The car stays on for 10 minutes after you remote start it. Why would you want your car idling 20 minutes? Even in snow weather conditions, it's not good to let your car idle for that long.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As per the manual page 3-26 "a maximum of two remote starts, or a single start with an extension, are allowed between ignition cycles." That was indeed my experience last winter - 2 remote starts then I had to start it 'manually' before I could remote start again.

I'll have to experiment again over the next couple of days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please explain to me why anyone would want to remote start their car more then twice in a row without driving it?

The car stays on for 10 minutes after you remote start it. Why would you want your car idling 20 minutes? Even in snow weather conditions, it's not good to let your car idle for that long.

I wouldn't, but obviously, someone would since they listed it a disadvantage.

It was a true statement which you disputed.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
As per the manual page 3-26 "a maximum of two remote starts, or a single start with an extension, are allowed between ignition cycles." That was indeed my experience last winter - 2 remote starts then I had to start it 'manually' before I could remote start again.

I'll have to experiment again over the next couple of days.
Each remote start is 10 minutes long.

Why do you need to idle your car for 20 minutes? Your only doing damage to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
^^^^ I Don't!!
All I am staying is, as per the manual, after 2 remote starts I cannot remote start the car again until I have 'manually' started it. Put another way If I remote start it this morning and drive, then again this evening and drive, next time I have to 'manually' start it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
^^^^ I Don't!!
All I am staying is, as per the manual, after 2 remote starts I cannot remote start the car again until I have 'manually' started it. Put another way If I remote start it this morning and drive, then again this evening and drive, next time I have to 'manually' start it.
You can start it as many times a day as you want as long as you have driven it following the "press start while holding the brake" procedure. You cannot remote start more than two times in a row, or remote start and extend more than once without going to the car and a "press start while holding the brake".

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
^^^^ I Don't!!
Wrong. I remote started it 5 Times yesterday. Without manual starting.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Every time you got in the car after a remote start you had to press the brake and push the button or the engine stops - that constitutes a normal start - resetting the remote ability. Two consecutive remotes is all you get - a safety issue for those of us with attached garages.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Every time you got in the car after a remote start you had to press the brake and push the button or the engine stops - that constitutes a normal start - resetting the remote ability. Two consecutive remotes is all you get - a safety issue for those of us with attached garages.

When I get in the Brake + Start will flash. The dealer showed me how to simply press the start button on the dash twice and I can drive off. Maybe this works with the factory remote starts ? Mine is a dealer installed aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts