The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to the track tomorrow, and i was wondering if that would help me do any better...???? if so, can someone gimme some directions on how to do it? i put my stock NGKs back in too, someone told me the Bosch +4s SUCKED so .... anyways how do i advance my timing

·
Registered
155 Posts
get a timing light. then loosen the two bolts on the distributor and turn it counter clockwise a hair or two. Dont take off the bolts though! just loosen them to turn it.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
takinturns_likewhoa said:
get a timing light. then loosen the two bolts on the distributor and turn it counter clockwise a hair or two. Dont take off the bolts though! just loosen them to turn it.
ok loosen the distibutor cap and turn WHAT counter clockwise?

·
Girl-Moderator
4,061 Posts
What do you advance it to? Can you drive like this all the time or is it something you should just do for track purposes? what things does it affect?

·
Former Alty Owner
1,213 Posts
WARNING!

If you don't know what to turn don't attempt this.. it will seriously put a damper on your power if you turn it toooo much.. Go to someone who knows and has experience doing this.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
yeah , if you dont know what to turn, take it to a mechanic. Most mechanics will do it for around 10-15 bucks.

Also, as long as you dont advance it to much, it wont hurt anything and you can drive all week long with advanced timing. It will even help out your mpg a little.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there anything i should notice right away when i adjust my cap and then start it up?

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
Listen closely.

If you play with the advanced timing you need to do two things:

1. Use a higher octane of fuel. 89 is fine.
2. Listen to your engine talk to you.

If you advance the timing you will have a higher chance of getting predetonation or enigne "ping". this is your engine saying "help me, help me, you are killing me." in a quiet voice.

You will most likley get ping under heavy loads, i.e. bogging down gears, climbing hills, etc. or in very hot weather.

You can reduce ping by going to a higher octane fuel, but sometimes you can go too much.

I can give you an old-school way of advancing timing but it is not the best.

1. Mark the dist location with a marker across one part that is the dist and another stationary part.
2. loosen and Advance (turn towards front of car) about 1mm.
3. Drive the car with a heavy load bogging the gears and listen to the engine. IF you hear a new knocking noise go back to the garage.
4. If you have knock, turn it back to the firewall half the distance you went forward. If you didn't hear knock, advance it 0.5mm more.
5. Repeat 3 and 4 until the car doesn't knock at all. Beware, every knock is bad for the engine.
6. Make sure you have higher octane fuel.

The right way to do this is with a timing light.

Remember, if you don't trust what you are doing, don't do it.

Randy

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WHAT exactly am i gaining by advancing my timing, and am i losing or possibly endangering anything by doing this?

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Siizzzoooo said:
is there anything i should notice right away when i adjust my cap and then start it up?
First off, you'll be turning the entire distributor, not just the cap.
Second, you'll be doing this with the engine running already, since that is what the timing lite is for.
Third, you'll need to use higher octane for any of this to be of value, since otherwise the knock sensor will kick in and retard your timing and you'll have less power than before.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
01LTD said:
If you have a 2000-01 it can't be done, not sure about the older years though. Laterz.
why can't it be done on 00-01's?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts