The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
looks cool

Yeah I read somewhere it's supposed to be a "performance enhancing" gated shifter, but other thank looking a lot cooler than most garden variety shifters out there and not needing that silly push button I don't know what it does

·
Registered
81 Posts
My opinion

There were at one time several law suits against car manufacturers whose automatic transmissions would "slip" into gear when the car was parked and supposedly in park. Occasionally the car would then run over somebody or crash into something resulting in the lawsuits. I think the gated shifter is simply a way to ensure that doesn't happen. Of course any good car company spin doctor will try and claim it's a "performance" feature. That's what they get paid to do.

OpalBlue ;)

·
M W S
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks opalblue, but that can't be it.
every car sold in the US has to have a safety feature that prevent the car from being shifted out of park without the brake being pressed. that's what the button next to the shifter is for, as an override of the safety feature, in case the battery is dead.

·
Banned
0 Posts
All I can think of is it looks better. Other than that, I dont think there is any performance enhancing features. But that 4-3 shift is made easier. I dont think that enhances performance, but it is fun to play with...

·
Registered
45 Posts
marks said:
every car sold in the US has to have a safety feature that prevent the car from being shifted out of park without the brake being pressed.
That's not totally true. Maybe the cars but, in the Chrysler minivan you do not have to push the brake pedal to shift from park. Just pull down on the lever. At least that's the way it is in my father in laws 96 Grand Caravan.

William

·
Registered
52 Posts
The gated shifter was "borrowed" from MB. In theory, it should allow you to shift manually up the gears one slot at a time and consequently downshift the same manner without skipping gears. In practice, it was MB's tranny that refused to shift at the correct time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The gated shifter is a nice touch... technically you should be allowed to "manually" select which gear you want to use. I have found this not to be the case. It only lets you limit the gear. Meaning, if you have the shifter selected to the first gear, then switch to two, the tranny won't shift to that gear untill it decides to, not when you select that gear. This is pretty annoying because I like the feeling of having more control of the car (I would've gotten the manual but the slushbox made more sense so my family could drive it if they ever needed to.) In general I have found the gated shifter easier to use opposed to conventional automotic shifters...mostly because one doesn't have to push any button to shift.

Dennis

·
Registered
81 Posts
by marks
every car sold in the US has to have a safety feature that prevent the car from being shifted out of park without the brake being pressed. that's what the button next to the shifter is for, as an override of the safety feature, in case the battery is dead.
Yea, but buttons sometimes stick or freeze "on". Kids and adults sometimes lean across or bump shift sticks not realizing they've moved it into an unwanted position. I had a grocery sack shift and push my Nissan Pickup out of gear once. Just because some law demands a design detail/safety feature doesn't mean it's a foolproof one. I suspect the gated automatic is a little bit anti-shift insurance and a little marketing and a little engineering. It could simply be that it is WAY EASIER to engineer an auto transmission to shift wthrough a gated pattern than a simple linear pattern. Probably saves parts/money and increases profits.

Could be! ;)

OpalBlue

·
Registered
52 Posts
The MB way of force up-shifting your tranny when you want it: to go from 1st to 2nd, shift lever to 3rd and back to 2nd. Same for the other gears. Too tedious, so I leave it be. When are they going to come out with Selespeed like the Alfa?

·
Bling Bling Player
654 Posts
1) No button on the knob.
2) Might be able to convince someone who doesn't look to hard it's a manual.
3) May allow easier selection of gears (I wouldn't know from much experience as my car has 3 pedals below)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.