The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
c'old man winter
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 95 altima with automatic, and 113,000 miles.
perfect (scarily it's really like brand new(now a believer in the reliability of nissan and the ka24de motor)). I'm a mechanic and I've kept the car in good shape and did the maintenance on it myself, etc. car is compeltely 'stock', with 0-mods - just a special audio system I installed and calibrated myself using SPL, and various tracks.

was thinking about getting a 95 maxima SE with 5 speed manual, has 160,000 miles. its in good condition. the bad things, after i inspected it(somewhat breefly- i wanted 30 more mins with it but the owner was busy that day) were two codes in ECU, 0707 0304, which are o2 sens and k.s. sensor. i think the 0707 is prb the real thing , and the knock sensor was just tripped off, since that has happened in the past with different probs on the altima (the knock sensor just likes to be a code whenever there is another problem HAHA who knows why). also, the car has been regularly filled with Regula gasoline with 87 oct and i believe it's supposedto be 91 or higher. so maybe there is gradual damage to car from knocking, and i dont know how much actualy life there is in engine. engine ran smooth, actually shocking smooth, kindof reminded me of a jet engine turbine acceleration... weird. driven many many many cars, but almost none are THAT smooth. the driver's side axle seemed lose in the spot where it connects to differential. I heard a slight whining sound on take off in 1st gear.

should i get max, and enjoy and over time modify for more perf. or keep altima and modify for more perf, since i hear max has less handling, and the ka24 in altima when turboed gets like the same hp as the maxima when it's supercharged...?????

thanks -
Pass

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
Keep the alti. It is paid for. "Ride'em til' they die" is my motto!

·
1994 nissan altima
425 Posts
if you had a 5-speed altima, you wouldn't even ask. maxima's are smooth, i like them a lot. i would stick with the paid for car also. and if you get a new car, get one with less miles than your other one. of course your a mechanic, so it's different for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd stick with the Altima... if its giving you nps then it makes no sense to move to a different car with hella more miles and problems :)

If you wanted to go to a Maxima with say <60k then I'd go for it !

·
c'old man winter
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tha alti is uhhh 'slow' and im tired of shifting it all the time(4spdautomatic)... and i derive pleasure from driving stick shift. it makes driving more interesting... and ill be driving a whoolle lot this semester ..... wahh wahh im a baby.. and i don't know what to do...
yes i did think i should just ride it till it dies... but , there's something else: gas is not here forever, and cars may have special rules in the future, especiualy if kerry is elected and stuff. my guess is another 4-8 years, and the nthings will be VERY different. so , my point is, im trying to enjoy the most out of cars while they're still around : ) and since im driving alot taking courses to get my business degree, i figure perfect: get a fun car, and you ll be really 'max'imizing your time on the road: )

and to the one person, the stick shift altima is 'that' great to you?
ive driven it. it's EXACTLY like the automatic....

·
4 cyl of fury
179 Posts
Sounds like you made your mind up without us. A Maxima is a great car, decently fast and quite smooth accelerating. I drove a '97 5 speed and it was amazing to say the least. Wish I had money for one though, otherwise I might not be driving the Altima.

·
Something Like A Pimp
1,077 Posts
I would look for a 95-99 Infiniti I30t. The 5spd from those had LSD. All Max engine mods fit on the I30's. The HP/Dollar ratio is great on the Max's and I30's. You can have 60+ HP to the wheels for less then 1k in mods. Y-pipe (20-22 Hp for 160-200 bucks) MEVI( 40-43 HP for 400 bucks).

·
Something Like A Pimp
1,077 Posts
MEVI = Middle Eastern Variable Intake. It's a different intake manifold (originally on middle eastern maximas, hence the name "middle eastern variable intake") that has a dual plenum design. Basically, it shortens the length of the runners at higher engine speeds to create more power at high rpms. I don't know all the technical details, but here's a thread on the org that has a bunch of info and links about the MEVI.
Tech info on MEVI

·
c'old man winter
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for answering my question on the mevi thing. sercondly, im going to go to thatl ink, but i jsut wnted to say that that's quite interesting that there'sa middle east version haha ht hat has a dif thing on it haha weird.. ok, now im going to the link

·
c'old man winter
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
apparently, you would need to really abuse the engine to utilize the new-foudn efficiency at high rpm. why is this from middel east? why isn't it just turning itself on at high rpm, so that low/mid range torque is not affected?

are maximas stock able to handle 5500 rpm - 7000 rpm without safety and longetivity issues?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts