The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took car in today for Service Engine Soon light. Light went on last
Saturday. Could not get car in till today. After 4 hours of testing and re-testing, the techs at Nissan, not at the dealer (they seemed clueless) came up with the problem and solution. It appears that the Purge Volume Control Valve went bad after only 5600 miles. This valve controls the air/fuel mixer while the engine goes from cold to hot. I did not notice any difference in performance while driving with this light on, so it doesn't appear to be too critical. But that warning light sure was annoying for the past few days. Anyways, the code pulled was P1444 for anyone who is dealing with this idiot light that seems to plague some of our cars. I've attached the dealer invoice. I hope it will assist any future problems of this matter.

G

·
This was the problem that I had with my car which resulted in starting the lemon law process. Here is what the service manual said it does.

This system controls flow rate of fuel vapor from the EVAP canister. The opening of the vapor by-pass pas-sage
in the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve changes to control the flow rate. The EVAP
canister purge volume control solenoid valve repeats ON/OFF operation according to the signal sent from the
ECM. The opening of the valve varies for optimum engine control. The optimum value stored in the ECM is
determined by considering various engine conditions. When the engine is operating, the flow rate of fuel vapor
from the EVAP canister is regulated as the air flow changes.
COMPONENT DESCRIPTION
The EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve uses a ON/
OFF duty to control the flow rate of fuel vapor from the EVAP canis-ter.
The EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve is moved
by ON/OFF pulses from the ECM. The longer the ON pulse, the
greater the amount of fuel vapor that will flow through the valve.

In my case, when they changed this part, after two obd-II driving cycles it came on again. The tech from nissan spent 8 hours trying to figure out what was wrong. I had fuel tanks change, they took everything apart and put it back together at least 8 times. Although they fixed the problem they think it was actually some corrosion on one of the metal connection line for the vent line which resulted in a minor pressure loss in the evap system during the obd-II test cycle. This cycle has not impact on the drivability of the car but is there to check the intergerety of the emissions system.

If the tech told you it controls the air/fuel mixture when cold, I think he/she was giving you a load of crap. The cold start valve does that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pcsgrp, That is quite the information you posted. Your are very detailed. As I stated in my post, those techs at the dealer needed to consult with the the big shots at Nissan to find and fix my problem. That is why they probably tried to give me the laymans terms, and evidently those were even wrong. They must be trained not to go into detail and just stick to the easiest explainations. By the way, how many miles did you have on your car when your idiot light went on? Since you and I share the same problem, I'm sure there will be more to follow.

G

·
My light came on within one hour of my picking mine up on the first day of ownership. They tried 8 or 9 times to fix it and finally someone from Nissan came and it took him almost 8 hours to find the problem. In the interim , they changed most of the evap system, put in a new fuel tank, changed some stuff up front and of course the gas cap! Although they changed the vent purge valve, the lingering problem was some corrosion on one of the lines so the clamp wouldn't hold pressure in the system when it did the self test. If your light comes on again after two obd-II driving cycles, have Nissan send a guy named Mike from the NJ office.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A common flaw with Purge Valve solenoids is that they tend to go bad i you top off your tank alot . My neighbors 2002 Trailblazer had a similar piece go bad after she topped off an extra 2.50 into her tank. i know that sounds like a lot but these things are sensative. What this sensor does is measure the amount of evaporative emissions that are being released from the fuel system and recirculates them accordingly.

A lot of 1996-2000 ES300's have a similar problem. but it affects the Evap vacum Manifold and not the actual solenoid or senosr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.