The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A recent car magazine did a comparison of midpriced sport sedans. Price was 30k+ and mandatory stick shift. Bimmer 330i won though I woulda given it to the IS300 if they had the proper tires.

Anyways, in the sub 30k catagory, who else contends w/the Altima? Here's my rundown in no particular order. However, I think the first 4 I listed are definitely cars that are capable of performing and hauling.

Maxima
Altima 3.5
WRX
Lexus IS 300 5-Speed
Sentra SE-R Spec V
Sentra SE-R
Jetta 1.8T
Jetta 2.8
Impreza RS
Altima 2.5
Passat 2.8
BMW i
Neon ACR
Olds Alero GL2
Sonata
X-Type 2.5

Jay

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
Mazda MP3
itchypussy lancer

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
is300

akima said:
Mazda MP3
itchypussy lancer
Not a sub 30kcar. More like 35K

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
All nice but the Neon ACR, hell no it's Dodge let someone else buy it.

Olds Alero GL2. feels like it has 60k on it when it is new.

Sonata well I think we all know.

X-Type 2.5 looks cute but don't know how much Ford is in it:angry2:

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
ThurzNite said:
Anyways, in the sub 30k catagory, who else contends w/the Altima

Lexus IS 300 5-Speed

I thought IS's were a little over 30K?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Ry-IS300

Just went to edmunds and priced one out with the same options that i got in my 3.5.

MSRP 3.5 $29,088.00
MSRP IS $35,562.00

Good golly mis Molly.....I have the auto, so i priced it accordingly. Is is 30PLUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to own a 99' Jetta VR6 so I'm gonna ask.....Why the Jetta 1.8 turbo??? Get the 2.8 VR6 instead....21 more hp (201 which is good for a 2800lb car) with no turbo lag. The VR6 is also available with a 6spd manual...and way under 30k (24k MSRP fully loaded).

Kevin

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kvou812 said:
I used to own a 99' Jetta VR6 so I'm gonna ask.....Why the Jetta 1.8 turbo??? Get the 2.8 VR6 instead....21 more hp (201 which is good for a 2800lb car) with no turbo lag. The VR6 is also available with a 6spd manual...and way under 30k (24k MSRP fully loaded).

Kevin
Heh, dunno how I forgot that one. Thanx for the reminder. The thing that gets me is the generally higher cost of parts for the VW's. The body shop near me says parts are expensive compared to the Japanese cars.

wild willy: who said anything about auto? The magazine and I both stated that cars must have manual transmissions. Heehee. But I agree...you can get an IS for under 30k, but you're not gonna get all the options. The only important one is LSD anyways!

Jay

·
Registered
113 Posts
ThurzNite said:

Heh, dunno how I forgot that one. Thanx for the reminder. The thing that gets me is the generally higher cost of parts for the VW's. The body shop near me says parts are expensive compared to the Japanese cars.

wild willy: who said anything about auto? The magazine and I both stated that cars must have manual transmissions. Heehee. But I agree...you can get an IS for under 30k, but you're not gonna get all the options. The only important one is LSD anyways!

Jay
Yeah, thats true....if you have to go to the dealer its very expensive....I had to get some of the special pink coolant to make the low coolant light go off, and I couldn't find the coolant anywhere but the VW dealer...for $16 a gallon! :eek:
I loved the Jetta....like a poor mans IS300...lol...meaning similar the same size, body style, and power....but a hell of a lot cheaper. The VR6 pulls hard all through the powerband....its a 15 degree angle V6 for more torque. I had mine for 2 years and it was a great car, but it didn't have a chance once I drove the Alty. :)

Kevin

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Jay

I know u said 5 speed, I compared my apple to their apple, take away the auto u are still almost at 35k with all of the goodies.........I like my goodies.

Try to find an IS with no options for under 30K........I bet it will be harder to find than the Alti. Really doubt there is much of a market for a stripped IS, call me crazy.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Jay

wild willy said:
I know u said 5 speed, I compared my apple to their apple, take away the auto u are still almost at 35k with all of the goodies.........I like my goodies.

Try to find an IS with no options for under 30K........I bet it will be harder to find than the Alti. Really doubt there is much of a market for a stripped IS, call me crazy.
my bro was telling me IS's are pretty rare...something like 10,000 were made last year. I don't know how many options they have. Why can't it be like the TL where the only option is NAV?
Jay

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
JAY

I looked at the IS when they first came out.....they would not come off the sticker, not even a nickle. So I have an Altima that i actually like better and have 10 K in my pocket and 40 plus hp or so. very glad I did not buy at that time. Plus it was way too small

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
378 Posts
I guess the Impreza RS could be put in there too, if the plain lancer is in there. That car did pretty well in a recent magazine comparison with the Jetta, SE-R, some others.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
robmarch said:
I guess the Impreza RS could be put in there too, if the plain lancer is in there. That car did pretty well in a recent magazine comparison with the Jetta, SE-R, some others.
Agreed...dunno how I left that out. I guess I was just trying to hit up the best model of a certain line. My bad.
Plus u can actually test drive an RS w/o doing a credit check first. haha.
Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts