The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I bought a set of aftermarket fog lights for my 2013 Altima SV, which was already pre-wired. I want to use the switch that came with the set because I don't want to have to buy the combination switch. I need to know which cables to splice from under the steering wheel. Can somebody help me identify them? Thank you.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
There are no wires to splice under the dash...that's so 90's ;) The combi switch (like a touchpad) is read by the BCM (body control module) which we'll call computer #1 ...which talks over your car's network (CANBUS) to the IPDM (intelligent power distribution module) in the engine compartment, which we'll call computer #2 AND fuse/relay box #1 . Your prewired plugs are fed by the IPDM power and controlled by the fog relay located therein.

In short, if you don't buy the combi stalk switch, your only option is wiring direct from your switch to your relay to your lights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
d0ugmac1, I read somewhere that if I get the combi switch and then ground the lights directly, I would be able to turn them on even with the high beams, because what the combi switch does to turn them off is unground them. Is this correct?

·
6,365 Posts
d0ugmac1, I read somewhere that if I get the combi switch and then ground the lights directly, I would be able to turn them on even with the high beams, because what the combi switch does to turn them off is unground them. Is this correct?
If you have long skinny fingers and long skinny arms, and or a sadistic bent when it comes to dismantling your car.... you might have a look at EXL-13, you'll see that you could place your custom switch across Output5 and Input4 wires of the BCM to simulate the effect of the stalk switch. There will also be wiring at the stalk switch that could be similarly spliced as the BCM is seriously buried deep up behind the cluster gauges.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The high beams are controlled independently of the fogs, high beam state should not change the state of the fogs...assuming you are using the combi stalk switch+BCM+IPDM to provide power to fogs.

If you have long skinny fingers and long skinny arms, and or a sadistic bent when it comes to dismantling your car.... you might have a look at EXL-13, you'll see that you could place your custom switch across Output5 and Input4 wires of the BCM to simulate the effect of the stalk switch. There will also be wiring at the stalk switch that could be similarly spliced as the BCM is seriously buried deep up behind the cluster gauges.
'Wiring at the stalk switch that could be similarly spliced as the BCM is seriously buried deep up behind the cluster gauges', is what I meant before when I talked about splicing cables below the steering wheel. Sorry I did not say it well. Thank you for your help. I will let you know if I am able to do it.

·
6,365 Posts
Cool. Let us know how it turns out...could be the Nissan Hack of the Month :)

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
In short, if you don't buy the combi stalk switch, your only option is wiring direct from your switch to your relay to your lights.
There are some situations where you may want to splice, though. I spliced both in the engine compartment and under the dash so that my fog lights could be used as DRL (splice into a "hot when on" wire to send a signal to a relay so that the fogs are on when the car is on). I also spliced into the taillights so that when the DRL fogs are on, the taillights are also on (not sure why that isn't a DOT requirement).

But you certainly can have a fully functional set of lights and a switch without splicing into anything.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
The high beams are controlled independently of the fogs, high beam state should not change the state of the fogs...assuming you are using the combi stalk switch+BCM+IPDM to provide power to fogs.
I seem to recall that high beams turned off my fogs. But that was before I made my modifications, so I have no way to verify it.

·
6,365 Posts
I seem to recall that high beams turned off my fogs. But that was before I made my modifications, so I have no way to verify it.
Yep, I was wrong :surprise Stock/IPDM fog's go off when high beams come on-Gen4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts