The Nissan Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1996 200sx SE-R and i CANNOT find any good aftermarket mods for it. Like absolutely nothing. I want a cat back exhaust, at least a budget friendly one yet there is nothing. Barely any parts for this car. Anyone has the same issue or knows a website or something?

·
Registered
1997 200SX base 5-speed
74 Posts
It's even worse for me because I have the lowly 1.6L. But the SR20 should have plenty of support. eBay has headers and cat backs etc. There is a website called "Gspec" that specializes in these older Nissans. There are still turbo kits available too. Don't forget to search for "Sentra" parts from the same years because they have the same engines and chassis and are a much more well known car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They dont got cat backs on ebay. Only headers. Also the front half of the car of the 200sx is a sentra but the back half is a different car. I doubt any sentra exhaust system will fit unless some modifications is done. Also i search up on GSpec, they dont got much either. Also Where the go to place for a short throw shifter?

·
Registered
1997 200SX base 5-speed
74 Posts
There was a lot more stuff available before the covid fiasco. A lot of businesses/sellers didn't survive. I got my short throw on eBay. There were hundreds of them, exhausts, coilovers, strut bars, intakes etc. etc. I was able to get a stage 2 clutch kit, aluminum radiator, and many cool parts for super cheap. Now is a different story. You can have an exhaust built at a muffler shop. That's easy for them. Pick your muffler/tip and have them do the piping.

The 200sx and the Sentra are both B14 chassis. They are the same in every way mechanically and suspension wise. Just some differences with the 2 vs 4 doors and some trunk/trim parts and interior affected by the door differences.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn covid fck everything up huh. I barely got this car like 2 weeks ago and still trying to get it ready to go (runs and drives just needs a couple of things). Could Master Muffler do something like that? Or does it got to be an acutal auto shop for like custom things. Idk much about master muffler except that they are common here where im at. I just want a straight pipe from the cat back. No resonator, no muffler. Probably throw in a cherry bomb cause fck it lmao.

·
Registered
1997 200SX base 5-speed
74 Posts
Stop in and ask them. Muffler shops carry pipes and mufflers and have benders/welding equipment. I think custom exhausts are easy work for them. I recommend Magnaflow for the muffler and keeping a resonator. The obnoxious ricer scene is played out. No one is impressed by a slow turd farting down the road in an ear piercing fury. A prius will pass you as you have it floored lol. Resonators do not hinder performance at all and neither do properly designed mufflers. Just my suggestion, you can do what you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You right bout that. I would buy a genuine catback exhaust from a well-known brand if i could. But some are damn too expensive. Ill do some investigating on that. What short throw shifter you bought? I order on off of ebay( the only one on ebay) cost me like roughly $50 and i just hope it works as intended and dont break on me. Whats your experience on yours so far?

·
Registered
1997 200SX base 5-speed
74 Posts
I have one of the cheap eBay ones too. They are a knockoff of the B&M shifter kit that is no longer made. Mine's holding up well. Got it when it was $25 for the kit a few years ago. I also replaced the linkage bushings at the transmission with poly bushings to make for a very positive tight shifting experience.

I just remembered, if you do have your exhaust replaced, keep the resonator you mentioned. On mine it was a downstream catalytic converter. Yours may be too. Something you want to keep on hand just in case as emission laws continually tighten. Here in Cali, not only do you have to pass smog to register each year, you have to pass to even sell your vehicle. Other states are going to this too. You may wish you held onto that thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im in Utah so im glad it isnt as strict as cali. If i need to, i can always go to tooele (a city in utah). That county doesnt require emissions if i remember correctly. A lot of people go there to not go through emissions. Got one last question. What parts or components makes a shifter feel smooth, firm, easy to shift? My is loose on one side and firm on the other. Im guessing its the shifter ball but i aint sure.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
I got a 1996 200sx SE-R and i CANNOT find any good aftermarket mods for it. Like absolutely nothing. I want a cat back exhaust, at least a budget friendly one yet there is nothing. Barely any parts for this car. Anyone has the same issue or knows a website or something?
Try this:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i saw the stock one too. Prob just get a custom or weld my own. Where you get your linkage bushing? I bought some red ones call energy something (suspension i think? I dont remember) on rockauto and ebay. But they look too big and thick (no **** lmao) but tbh i never tried it out to see if they fit.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Yeah i saw the stock one too. Prob just get a custom or weld my own. Where you get your linkage bushing? I bought some red ones call energy something (suspension i think? I dont remember) on rockauto and ebay. But they look too big and thick (no **** lmao) but tbh i never tried it out to see if they fit.
If you're talking about rubber exhaust pipe hangers, check out this web site:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No lmao thank you tho. I meant like the shifting linkage bushing. The gear stick feels loose on one end (where 1,2,3,4 gear are) and firm on the other end (5th and reverse). It doesn’t have that springyness thing ya know. Sometimes i “shift” into 3 but its still in neutral cause it isnt in third.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts