The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Out of post-whore rehab..
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Aftermarket H/U install in a 2002

It's been brought to my attention that I may have some info that no one else has. FYI, you CAN replace your radio and NOT replace all your speakers if you have the Bose System in the 2002's. All that has to be done is connect the remote wire out of the radio to the remote wire in the wiring harness. Any questions, let me know.:D

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
So this will switch on the amplifier(s). Do all the speakers have a separate amp, or just the rear deck subs? Is there an aftermarket harness adapter available for this? If not, how are the speakers wired? (line level to rear deck and speaker level to others, or line level to all?)

·
Out of post-whore rehab..
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Good question. This is what I know. The adapter harness is the same for all Altimas from 95 and up (including 2002s). There are 3 plugs on the back of the Bose stereo. 2 are the speakers, memory, pwr, gnd, etc. the other is the plug for steering wheel controls. Hook your harness up to the stock wiring (like any aftermarket adapter harness). After you have connected the applicable wires to each other, ensure the remote coming from your H/U (Head Unit/radio) (typically blue wire w/ white stripe)is connected to the aftermarket harness (wire should be the same). This creates a turn-on lead for the factory amp. I am assuming that all the speakers are connected to the 1 amp, because without the amp connected, you will get no sound out of any speakers. If you take a close look at the Bose amp, There is 2 plugs coming in and 1 plug going out. I assume that the 2 coming in are the signals for all the speakers plus pwr, remote, gnd, etc. The harness should be available at any car audio store, but I got my harness and install kit from Best Buy. Just so you know, I am currently running 3 10's w/ a cap, x-over, and 1000 and 800 watt amps. I will post pics when I get my damn pics from Kodak (I'm broke, so I don't have a digital camera or scanner).

T

·
0 Posts
Read the ESM service manual, everyone of you should have one by now. All the speakers are powered by the amp. The H/U does not power anything. Therefore all you have to do is cut the wires follow the instructions with code/color labeling according to the ESM and reconnect to a new Head unit. Depends on kind of new H/U, the remote might work or not. GG.:angel1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update on radio installation.
I recently installed and aftermarket HU in my 2002 SE without BOSE and can add a few tips.
First of all, all that is required to maintain the use of the trip meter via steering controls is to ground the light blue wire from the third connector. Second, to properly wire the antenna amp you will need to add approximatley 150 ohms of resistance from the HU power antenna lead to the antenna amp signal wire terminal 5 green wire on the factory connector. This will give the proper 5.5 volt turn on signal to the antenna amp. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Does the non-bose system have a stock amp? I have a non-bose altima and I did not connect the amp turn-on (blue/white wire). The sound is crappier than stock, but I thought that might be due to the stock 2ohm speakers running off an aftermarket HU. I plan on putting in an amp soon, but was just wondering if connecting the blue/white wires would make my sound better.

Also, the harness I got (metra) has a black/white wire (amp ground). I dont think my headunit has that wire. It has a black (ground), but I already used that wire.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently experienced this issue also on my 2011 Altima Hybrid. I wired the radio's harness into the aftermarket stereo harness and I could net get my radio to turn on. After reading this post I clipped the black cable and wrapped it around the top left screw that secures the dash kit into the car and my radio turned on and worked! The moral of this post is to ground the black cable onto some metal in the car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts