The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12 S2.5 Altima 74k miles
Does the Battery Current Sensor need to be recalibrated when you switch to an AGM battery from the stock flooded? The Optima isn't being recharged to full.

Charging voltage starts out at 14V, then drops to 13.5V within a couple minutes...then hovers around 13.1 - 13.5V. AGM battery is only charging to about 30%.

Seems a little young to have a bad alternator, and I've never had an alternator look almost normal like this. I read somewhere that when you install an AGM battery, you also need to recalibrate the Battery sensor due to the fact that AGM batteries require a slightly different charging method.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The battery current sensor is not adjustable; it feeds information through the CAN lines to the IPDM which then tells the IC regulator, that's inside the alternator; what voltage to use. All those components are sealed. The IPDM can be recalibrated for the AGM battery; you'll have to get a Nissan dealer to do this for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, our local Nissan dealer doesn't have the greatest reputation. And if it's that much trouble, I'll just switch back to standard batteries.

I bought a good battery/charging analyzer and keep getting a "low charging" result for the alternator. I've decided to take it in to a local auto electrical shop and have them verify whether it's actually the alternator or an incompatibility with the AGM.

I've just never seen a alternator 1) Act like this, 2) Go bad at such low mileage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts