The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my air bag light on the dash started blinking about 2 days ago..its just blinks all the time when running..thinking about having it all disarmed by the dealer anyway..anyone had this problem b4? thanks

·
4,020 Posts
You may be able to reset it, however a blinking airbag light indicates a malfunction, which in turn means it is possible during an accident it will not deploy. Your dealer will not actively disable your airbag unless you have a medical reason (at least they shouldn't as it is against the law). Personally I like the idea of having a working airbag incase I get into an accident, yes it may hurt, but it's better then your face hitting the dash or windshield.
In short, lesson to learn here is don't **** with airbags, they can go off if you don't know what you're doing and if they're malfunctioning (indicator lamp flashing) get it serviced professionally.

·
"Mr.DxD"
53 Posts
Recall doesnt effect the light . Thats so it doesnt blow the passengers head off into the backseat when it blows (too strong) . Problem is probably the SRS Control unit . $800 something dollars for the part . Or you could have a bad door switch . If ti cycles to many times after you turn you key it will throw the system into self diagnosis maikng the light flash . If it has a Control unit code get used to the flashing or get your Credit card out cause it aint cheap to fix ...

·
Registered
512 Posts
search. there's something about pressing the door knob sensor 10 times withing 5 seconds or something. I had the same problem, did that thing and it worked.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
alosamitla said:
search. there's something about pressing the door knob sensor 10 times withing 5 seconds or something. I had the same problem, did that thing and it worked.
I had that same problem. If i recall correctly, you turn your key to the on position (dont start it), then press the driver's door light switch 5 or 10 times within 5 seconds of the key being turned to the ON position, and it should reset the sensor. i know there is a explaination on here, so just do a search

·
4,020 Posts
OK, so you reset the ECU (not the sensor), basically bypassed the error that was occuring in your airbag system. Sounds to me like a dumb idea.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
If you have entered the diagnosis mode by using the procedure above, then the airbag will not deploy b/c the airbag will only deploy in user mode. You have to turn it back to the user mode.

My guess will probably be that you have a bad door sensor, or the spiral cable is bad.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
^because you are in the diagnosis mode. I will stay this way. It thinks that is it going to be repaired.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
^ I did that to mine, and it hasnt come back on. and if it was in diagnostic mode, it would have reset itself to start flashing when i had the battery disconnected for over a week.

·
"Mr.DxD"
53 Posts
All there doing is erasing the codes in the system or taking it out of self diag which is doughtful thats what it was . These cars have bad SRS control units 93/94/95. Once the control unit fails again the light will come back on . So long as the light is off the air bags are orperable.

·
4,020 Posts
Spddracer said:
All there doing is erasing the codes in the system or taking it out of self diag which is doughtful thats what it was . These cars have bad SRS control units 93/94/95. Once the control unit fails again the light will come back on . So long as the light is off the air bags are orperable.
Would you bet your life on it in an accident, or would it be wise to have it checked out...life or spend a little money...life or spend a little money, I'm going to have to go with spend a little money on this one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
good luck. If you knew u werent going to use our answer or whateva why post? You should have just taken it to the mechanic or dealership and spend the "little" money. I bet you after they tell you how much they're going to charge you'll run.

Edit: Just went back up and saw that you're not the one who started this thread.

·
Back with second verse!
198 Posts
I've had that bugging problem on my 00alty, bothers me like hell, ran out when I heard the "10 times within 5second trick" and it worked, thanks bro!!

Quick question though, somebody made a post a while back about the "service engine light" and i tried it, but was not effective, does anybody know how to disactivate it???

you guys probably saw my thread about the "O/D OFF" light flashing too (lol) trust me my car is like a christmas tree when it comes to the panel.

-manny

·
Registered
32 Posts
it seems as if using the 10 times with 5 seconds trick simply disables the light because u are in diagnostic mode, right? So it really doesn't sole ur problem. I would like it to be in regular mode and not blink, but then again, that would require more $$$ to be spent, correct?

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
To tell you all the truth, the most common thing that wears out in the airbag system is the spiral cable. This part moves with the steering wheel, so if you drive/steer hard, it can cause it to go bad. Also you can replace this piece yourself! Just take the airbag off the steering wheel, and there it is. Just unplug it, and put a new one on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
96 Nissan Altima

It's not even a year when i bought this car at the used car dealer, when the airbag started blinking. Could not figure it out since it has never been used. Wondering how much it is going to costs me to get it fix or should the nissan manufacturer are the one who should be taking care of this stuff since this is safety features. Please help!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts