The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, 2002Altima posted a great recommendation with pictures regarding the removal of the very restrictive front air intake which feeds the air filter box. A simple procedure which takes all of perhaps 2-3 minutes at the most. Well I was quite charged about doing this since it was so obvious that this was a serious restriction to prodigious amounts of airflow at serious RPM's. But since my car goes into the dealer to have the entire clutch petal assembly replaced (scrapping sound), I wanted to wait until after I got the car back until I did this so as not to endanger my warranty.

I couldn't wait. So last Saturday, I removed said restrictive device. I also installed my Phillips Premium 9005 hi-beam lamps. I have already installed Phillips Premium 9006's in my fogs. Much whiter and much brighter. Now with those and my Xenon's, I can really light up the road.. good thing since we have so many deer around here.

I live in a very small town about 7 miles outside of Manassas, Virginia. We have only one stop light and it is perfect for acceleration tests. Line up to the light and when it goes green, drop the hammer and you have 1/8th of a mile of straight road ahead of you. What I do is get the clutch all the way out and the engine up to around 2000 RPM, then I nail it. Before removing the intake, the front tires would JUST start to scuff the road surface (loose traction) in 1st gear. After removing the intake, the tires fully break traction and spin. That is not a factor of horsepower.. it is a result of an increase in torque. Also, before the change, you could just barely feel the secondary runners cut in after 4000 RPM. Now without the intake, it's similar to a 4-barrel carb. You can really feel them take hold. And the engine just keeps pulling right on up past 6000 RPM. The battery, inner fender, and headlamp housing tend to keep warm air from the new large opening. But then again, it's winter here so that could change in the summer months.

But even if the incoming underhood air is warmer, it would have been anyway with the restictive intake since that thing was hung right over and behind the radiator!

So I say do it!! You will definitely feel the difference. I told my service rep at the dealer (an OK guy) what I had done. He said that the the restrictive intake and the pinched exhaust were done to reduce the output of the engine from that of the Maxima.
Someone else on this site pointed that one out, too.

Thanks 2002Altima!

PVick
2002 Alty SE
Silver/Charcoal
214 CID V6
Manual Trans

·
Registered
2 Posts
Phillips Lights

Is there a simple way to adjust the height of the headlight beam?

I see that you changed your bulbs perhaps you came accross the adjustment screws in the process?

Thanks,

-Alan

·
Registered
60 Posts
there is a lil screwing thing on ur headlamp assembly.

·
Registered
884 Posts
pvick said:
A few weeks ago, 2002Altima posted a great recommendation with pictures regarding the removal of the very restrictive front air intake which feeds the air filter box. A simple procedure which takes all of perhaps 2-3 minutes at the most.

So I say do it!! You will definitely feel the difference. I told my service rep at the dealer (an OK guy) what I had done. He said that the the restrictive intake and the pinched exhaust were done to reduce the output of the engine from that of the Maxima.
Someone else on this site pointed that one out, too.

Thanks 2002Altima!
Thanks for posting your impressions! I agree, it does add a lot of fun to the driving! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys I also got rid of the stock air box and I felt some power at the wheels and I only have a 4 cyl. The drive at night is really nice out here in L.A ca. Winter is just perfect out here. The filter sucks up some nice cold air.

·
Registered
60 Posts
so wat u guys are saying is...
if u remove the air scoop on top of the radiator which guides outside air to ur air filter.. u gain more air inside ur hood??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.