The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2 lazy to post an avatar
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I want to install an air intake on my '01 Altima. Question is if the intake sucks up water or snow (live in Canada... snow is plentyfull) will it screw up the intake or the engine or does it make no diff.
Personnal experiences welcomed of course!

Thx.

Why do riced up Echo's keep on wanting to race me.... what are they thinking !!! ;)

·
Die Trying
2,554 Posts
water is definately bad for the engine. It will lock up and the engine will be worthless. I've had my CAI on here in FL, where it rains all the time in the summer, and not one problem. True, i drove a little cautious, but no probs. If you're that scared, just an AEM air bypass valve for $40. It's sort of a little insurance policy.

·
Hiiiigh Rollin!
130 Posts
well if i were you be sure and dont get cold air intake because there is a very good chance you would suck that all up get a warm air its a lot eaiser a lot less expensive and is in the engine bay soo it cant suck water or snow and yes if you did suck up something even dirt that goes through the filter can permanantly damage your engine and water and snow will cause the engine to sieze up and all you can do after that happens is get a new engine and i know they arent cheap i have a warm air intake and i love it its loud when i get on it and quiet when casually driving and if you ask me they cold air makes no difference soo id go with WAI just PM me if ya have any Qs -Jon

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i have had NO problems with the cai. remember..if you do put the bypass valve on, at WOT, you'll be sucking in air from the valve and not the filter in the bumper. kind of defeats the purpose of the cai. besides..they only recommend you having the valve on the street and off on the track..i wonder why.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you worry about snow, then chances are, it's cold enough that you shouldn't need cold air intake.

The bypass valve has been reported to be sucked into the throttle body by few honda owners. 1 engine got ruined and the owner sued AEM. Now they come with neat "we're not responsible" stickers. Use it at your own risk.

Peace,
Nitrox

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
the bypass valve i got was in the batch that was recalled. they sent me a small clip that would hold the grey valves in place.

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
95GXE said:
well if i were you be sure and dont get cold air intake because there is a very good chance you would suck that all up get a warm air its a lot eaiser a lot less expensive and is in the engine bay soo it cant suck water or snow and yes if you did suck up something even dirt that goes through the filter can permanantly damage your engine and water and snow will cause the engine to sieze up and all you can do after that happens is get a new engine and i know they arent cheap i have a warm air intake and i love it its loud when i get on it and quiet when casually driving and if you ask me they cold air makes no difference soo id go with WAI just PM me if ya have any Qs -Jon
^
Today's winner in the "Write the longest sentence" contest!
:D

I would be really suprised if anyone on here has ever had any genuine experience with hydro lock. As many CAIs as are rolling in this club, and not one incident. At least from sucking in thru their CAI. You would literally have to submerge the end of the intake. Just a little wouldn't do it. Remember, it has to go thru the filter, and then enough of it has to end up in one cylinder exceed the combustion chamber volume. That's more than a little road spray.

·
2 lazy to post an avatar
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CAI vs WAI

Actually im not all worried about the road spray... which intakes should be able to take, it's more the snow storms id have to drive thru at 120Km/h on the highway. How much of the snow will the intake pick up and spew into my engine? Or will it just all get stuck in the filter?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Re: CAI vs WAI

Altime'01 said:
Actually im not all worried about the road spray... which intakes should be able to take, it's more the snow storms id have to drive thru at 120Km/h on the highway. How much of the snow will the intake pick up and spew into my engine? Or will it just all get stuck in the filter?
just get regular intake instead of a cold air intake. You won't have anything to worry about, they're cheaper, and people say they give more power.

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,662 Posts
there was that one guy whose brother in law drove his alty around in a flood and didn't know he had a CAI and it screwed it up, didn't hydrolock but it was bad if I remember...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts