The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Altima SE with 76K miles. For about the last month, I have been awoken between 2-4 AM by the lights and alarm going off on my car for no apparent reason. I asked the dealership what to do, they said take all batteries out of the keyfobs. I did and it still occurred. I was also told the car's battery could be the culprit. I replaced the battery and it still happened. I have resorted to disconnecting the battery at night which is obviously a ridiculous solution. Is there anything else that may be causing this? This is causing problems with neighbors and I have lost hours of sleep over this. Could the alternator be a cause? PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Something must be drawing power while the car is off. Your not leaving any interior lights on at night while the car is off? That happened to me. Do you have any mods?

·
Boomer
1,691 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me and it turned out to be a malfunctioning trunk release mechanism which was replaced. It was sending and electrical signal to somewhere, indicating the trunk was open or being opened. This all occurred after I set the alarm and went inside. Obviously the alarm was functioning properly in that it sensed the trunk being opened without the key, thereby triggering the alarm. Check the idiot light that appears in your gauge cluster for the trunk release and see if it's on. Just a thought...

LJ::wall:

·
Über
7,173 Posts
Something obviously must be triggering the alarm to go off. Check all the door locks, trunk switches, etc.. Or it could be something as simple as a dome light or other interior light making it go off. Now you mentioned something about between 2-4 am. I'm curious maybe its a cat or something thats messing with it?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I see 2 possibilities. Malfunctioning alarm or something is actually setting it off.

The stock alarm doesn't have a shock or motion sensor so its not a cat or anything of that nature...basically the only way for the alarm to be set off is by someone opening either a door or the trunklid wihtout disabling the alarm first.

The alarm can only be set by either using the key to lock the doors or by pressing the lock button on the remote. Any number of owners (more so of early 3rd gens than later) have had gremlins that automatically lock the doors and set the alarm for absolutely no good reason, this sounds almost like the next logical malfunctioning step. There was a thread about 4-6 weeks ago from an owner who had resolved the mystery locking problem on his own car, the solution might help you...IIRC it was a problem with water in the door getting the door lock solenoid wet and shorting it out, thus triggering the lock mechanism and arming the alarm. Do a search and you should be able to find it.

I can't see how an interior light or alternator could be affecting this. The lights are triggered by a switch ont he door though so the switch could be the culprit...but definitely not the light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. My next step is to check the door, trunk and hood sensors since I have no idiot light indication and no mods. factory alarm, etc... This board rocks bye the way!!!

·
OIF VET
176 Posts
Solution

I had a 2nd gen that would do this and it would upset everyone in the barracks I lived in very very much. As tdoyle said...mine was in the door lock module. When the alarm is going off...before you turn it off with your key fob check and see if any of your doors came unlocked. If they did then you know it is in the the door lock/window module. Do not go buy a new one...take it out get a can of the air duster and clean it out. (This is with the module taken apart) Then coat the module in dielectric grease! This worked for me...good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks all. My next step is to check the door, trunk and hood sensors since I have no idiot light indication and no mods. factory alarm, etc... This board rocks bye the way!!!
Sorry, i know this is an old topic... but i am having the same problems with my 2002 2.5SL. anyone know how to check the door switches and trunk switch to see if they are bad?

Still having the alarm randomly go off. New Interstate battery, new batteries in key fobs. Goes off randomly if locked or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
  • I am also having this problem except I own a 07 Titan the "stock after market" alarm has been removed and I have disconnected and reconnected my battery. My fob no longer works so it's not that either. We are going to disconnect my battery until we can get answers on how to make this stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts