The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1998 SE 5 speed
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that live in the GTA,

After Sherman & System_error recommneded this place, I decided to take my old stainless steel Genie cat back system from a Civic and have them fabricate a custom exaust. It is a tiny tiny shop that can only fit one car but I was quite impressed with their work!

They basically chopped off the old piping from my resonator & muffler and customized the centre pipe for me. He takes great pride in his work and took him two hours to fabricate the centre pipe/new hangers.

Not only was the job was excellent but I truely believe it has made a significant differece performance wise. I feel more lower end torque ( I was actually expecting lose it) and even better pull at the mid to top end. No, I didn't dyno it or anything but you just know when the car is pulling harder! All this and my set is very quiet thanks to the Genie resonator.

I ended up paying C$170.00 cash for the entire job using using 2.25 SS piping and SS weld.

I recommend this place to anyone in the GTA as long as you are not looking for a mandrel bend work. If you want mandrel bend, I think you would have to go to Brullen like Drew did.

For those interested:

Alex's Expert Exaust
114 Sinnot Road Unit 15 (Birchmount & Eglington)
Tel 416-750-4015
Owner: Alex Chavez
email: [email protected]

Thanks again Sherman for telling me about this place.

·
*Donating Member* Senior Member
3,664 Posts
Mods should sticky this because this place kicks ass and lots of ppl ask about a shop in Toronto that does this for a good price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thats awesome... So do you think they could help me out with a custom Cat-back for my 02 Alty? Because there are not many good cat-backs out there for my car...

·
belongs -> @ltimas.net
428 Posts
sure they can

but is your alty a v6?

if so then i guess u will expect to pay a little bit more
coz you will need to pipe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks alot..
Yea I am a V6 but I dont mind paying a little more for really good work... I have been waiting to hear of someone who could do a custom cat-back for me... this is great...
I just e-mailed them about it and hopefully I will get a reply...

·
Banned
2,096 Posts
theres crush bending
and then theres mendrel bending
its like a type of bending to increases performance i believe?
maybe smoother to reduce exhaust resistance

·
*Donating Member* Senior Member
3,664 Posts
crush bent is cheaper becuase its easy to do...it leave small bumps that can restrict maximum air flow...Manderal is the opposite in both ways...it give optimum flow of air without any snags within the piping to slow air mov'mt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the help...
how is mandrel bending done??
Crush bending explains itself...
You mention someone went to Brullen... where is that? And do they do the same work as Alex Experts Exhaust...
Sorry about all the questions... just want to put together a really good Cat-back system...
Thanks again,
Spike

·
BUCK FUTTER
1,675 Posts
Mandrel bending... I know how its done, and I can visually see it in my mind, but its kinda hard to explain. The pipe is put into a device that is curved on the bottom side of the pipe holder, and has steel rollers on the top side of the pipe holder. When the mechanism is activated, the steel wheels will slowly move down the track they're mounted against and force the pipe to flex into the shape of the bottom holder. Yeah, thats kind of hard to imaging, but it works.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Mandrel bends are stretched so the interior is absolutely smooth.

I don't know how much it is to do a 2002. Not sure if richard has done any yet. If you are the first he'll give you a bit of a deal. Altimaluk and I were the first gen 1 and gen 2's to go in so I think we got a deal cause our cars were used as templates from them to ship stuff around the world! Mine was $750 out the door.

www.brullenexhaust.com

Brullen Exhaust Systems Inc.
110 Denison Street Unit #3
Markham, Ontario
L3R 1B6
905-415-7733

Tell him you found him through altimas.net and
Andrew(drew), Henry(altimaluk), and Joe(taz) all say he does good work!

BTW, you will want the quiet setup!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
oh, I got all stainless steel. it's just the tips that are polished though! THey paint and back the muffler, resonator and mid pipe.

I'm glad I have the SS tips though. I backed over a concreat block and scarped it again yesterday at my softball finals. The first time was at a buisness depot and the stinking curb had a dip at the edge and the back end just dropped. I'm gonna try to smooth and buff it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thats sounds like they are pretty good... but I guess I would have to go with all there products too... I would not be able to use the HKS Titaniums I have would I??
Thanks,
Spike

·
1998 SE 5 speed
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was talking to Richard at Brullen before I ended up with Alex's expert exhaust.

Yes, Brullen can do a custom exhaust for you if you bring in your own muffler and/or resonator. I was initially going to get it done at Brullen for C$300 - 350 (mandrel bend) using painted SS center pipe like Drew.

Just give them a call. He was very friendly & helpful when I called for a quote.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks a lot... this has been a big help... I have been looking for someone to do this but I did not know where to look... I hope to meet up with you guys at the next meet...
Thanks again,
Spike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts