The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Haulin' the Family
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a new set of KYB struts in my car....I noticed it veers to the right a bit. Obviously needs an alignment now.

I know lots of places offer 4 wheel alignments. But as far as I could tell, there is nothing adjustable on the rear. Right?
So that means I only need a front end alignment. I shouldn't have to pay for a 4 wheel.
I know that is often a rip off tactic they throw at ya. Any ideas on this.
I have to take care of it in the morning so advice would be helpful...thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whenever I changed my steering boot, I was asked to do front wheel alignment only? Is that adequate enough or I have to do all four wheels.....

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Go back to the rears and re-mount the strut towers. Loosen the top 3 bolts, have someone pull the strut assembly outwards from the wheel well, and tighten the 3 bolts. That should help a lil.
I'm still waiting to get my alignment done...No abnormal wear yet on my eibach/kybs.
Jay

·
Haulin' the Family
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one more question

I called some shops this morning. they said I need to a 4 wheel because they measure the front based on the back. I don't see anything adjustable in the back! I looked and looked. Just seems weird. Of course you measure based on the rear, but I shouldn't be charged for that right? But if you guys say there is adjustments for the rear I'll take your word for it.

Another thing....when lowering a 93-97 altima, do you need adjustable camber plates or anything? If so where would they go? How low can you drop an altima before you start to have a problem with abnormal tire wear?

·
11,384 Posts
Camber bolts will be just fine. Camber plates are nice, but they cost around $300, while the bolts are like $40.

Yes, the front end alignment is based off the rear, and vice versa.

The rear is adjustable, I promise. The camber is adjusted with the lower bolts on the strut, there are 2 of them. The toe is adjusted with the 2 bars that go fron the center of the car, and atach onto the hub. Look on either end of the bar...they are both threaded.

Both sides of the car are adjustable.

·
11,384 Posts
Some people had tire wear with lowering springs, and some didn't. My advice, get the camber bolts when you lower the car...Install them, and that way, you can have the camber adjusted when you get it aligned after lowering it, rather than waiting to find out you are wearing your tires and having to do it again.

Rick made a good point a while back, alot of people think the camber is wearing their tires, when in fact the toe being off is a huge factor.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Peterson said:
Some people had tire wear with lowering springs, and some didn't. My advice, get the camber bolts when you lower the car...Install them, and that way, you can have the camber adjusted when you get it aligned after lowering it, rather than waiting to find out you are wearing your tires and having to do it again.

Rick made a good point a while back, alot of people think the camber is wearing their tires, when in fact the toe being off is a huge factor.
The toe huh? So camber is when the insdie tread is wearing faster than outside. Camber is even wear, and caster is when the car doesn't straighten out after a turn right?
Jay

·
11,384 Posts
Yeah, a lowered car usually wears the inside edge of the tire due to too much negative camber.

Yeah, the caster will affect how the suspension moves and how the car will straighten coming out of a turn...good point.

Toe in is where the tires point in like this: / \ , the top being the front of the car, and toe out is this: \ / , again the top being the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm looking at the fsm and seeing how toe could be affected by ride height. I'm not understanding it. Can u explain the effects of lowering on toe?
Jay

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
Hey... this is good... the basics of alignment and lowering.... I think this should be FAQ'ed

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Peterson said:

Toe in is where the tires point in like this: / \ , the top being the front of the car, and toe out is this: \ / , again the top being the front of the car.
And if you're lucky, in the back seat you'll see this
(o)(o)
and this
( | )

:D

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
kierandill said:

And if you're lucky, in the back seat you'll see this
(o)(o)
and this