The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, im driving down the road and my whole car starts cutting out, like its running out of gas. Then all of a sudden it kicks back in for a couple of seconds, than does the same thing over again. Ill pull the s.o.b over and i look at everything, looks ok, and i try and start my car again.
NO START
So then i concluded it was either my battery, or alternator. So i had my friend come over and test the battery, its dead. So we jumped the car, and let it run, and it died again about 2 minutes later. So after that we knew it was the alternator.
1 day later
I buy a new alternator, put it in, jump my car, everything is fine and dandy.
2 days later
My car is being stupid again, its doing the same thing it was doing before. So i think to myself, maby the battery wasnt able to fully charge cause it ran too low, maby i killed it. I buy a new battery and everything is fine again, and im on my way.
2 days later
It starts doing the same thing again, and this time im ripping my hair out cause i am now so fed up with this thing im ready to go trade in my car. So that night i take the alternator out cause i thought i may have gotten a bad alternator, and i take it to checker and they test it and its dead. They said i may have killed the alternator by not charging the battery to full strength before the new alternator had a chance to work. I then get another alternator, put it in, and now everything has been good for a week. Lets see how long this lasts

moral of the story: Charge your battery before you start your car if you get a new alternator.

-nick

·
where is that cone from
38 Posts
I'm not sure your parts store's policy. Usually parts like alternator and starter comes with warrenty, and the guy behind the counter don't care if you blew it or it is a defect. I hope you didn't have to pay for the 2nd one

·
ASE certified wiseass
174 Posts
If you guys don't know this...

Don't buy an alternator from Autozone. They sell crap alternators. Every one I have seen bought from there has been crap. Your best bet is to find a small local shop that will rebuild the original one. It may cost more and take a day or two, but it will last as long as the first one.

Just some advice.

Randy

·
Chrome Rider 2010
137 Posts
thanks man,
now you tell me...just bought one from AUTOZONE but still haven't put it in..

·
Rally U13
896 Posts
i'm surprised sassan hasn't busted in... he would know what to say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.