The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alternator noise with my xtant amp and I've had a couple of other cheap amps do it. Before when I used a rockford and jbl amp there was no noise and now that I Upgraded to a xtant amp which is twice as much, I get it again. I have the power cables running through the driver side and the rca's running on the passenger side. I was wondering if I changed the wiring to monster would that fix it. or just monster speaker wire. I'm also considering buying one of those boxes to get rid of the alternator sound, but I believe I have it hooked up right so that there shouldn't be any alternator noise. Also do I need a bigger alternator because my music seems to always get louder whenever I turn off my piaa driving lights, I have a .5 rockford cap which should elliminate such problem too. I'm not sure what to do, help.

·
Banned
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
currently I have pheonix gold rca's, 2 gauge pos and neg wires from a hardware store, and just any some 15 gauge wire for remote. The amp is 300 watts I think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
noise

Ok. The first rule of thumb is you always want to run the power wire on the same side of the car as the battery. So in your case you should run the power on the drivers side only. All of the power distribution from the factory is on the drivers side so if you run the rca cables on the same side, you are running low level signal paralell to 12v which is bad. A lot of times you can get away with it if you have nice cables like Monster Cable and Stinger.
Your other problem could be a ground problem. When you have a ground loop it means the ground of your radio and the ground on your amp are not the same value of resistance. One of them is weaker. Make sure your radio is grounded really well to a piece of metal because the harness does not have a ground. Make sure you scrape the paint off of the metal before you ground the amp. And make sure you bolted it really tight. (especially with the thick cable you are using.
Another thing to try is get a spare rca cable and throw it up and over the seats from the radio. This will tell you if you have a bad cable. Let me know if you make any progress. You have one of the shittiest problems to solve when it comes to sterios. Be thankful you don't have a BMW!!!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts