The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I know my alternator is going out on me, and it will be very soon before I am stranded in 15 degree weather because of it. So I decided to get it fixed yesterday while I had a little bit of time. I went to AutoZone to get another alternator, had to pay $250 for it including the core charge. Took the car to the mechanic, agreed to $50 for install, which I thought was little high for an alternator, but what the hell, it needed to be done sooner than later. Go to the OSU game with bro, then come back to get the car. Car won't start for nothing. Matter of fact, no power to the interior of the car at all. The only thing electrical that worked was the headlights. I tell the mechanic a fuse is blown somewhere. "No no, you bought a cheap alternator that shorted your system." I keep arguing that its a fuse, and I start going through everyone of them on the inside of the car. Finally, the head mechanic comes over and asks why my car turns over but won't start. In Spanish, we discuss everything, and he says I am right. He went straight to the engine fuse by the battery, pulled it out, and threw it at the other mechanic. Walked over to another Altima, grabbed a fuse, popped it mine, and bingo. Told me to next time let him do any work.

Go back to AutoZone with alternator #1 to return it and get my $250 back. They offer to refund $170, the cost of the alternator, but not the core. I argued with them for like 10 minutes, but they refused. I said fine, gimme my $170 so I can leave, because I was supposed to be at work 10 minutes ago. So I grab my alternator and start walking off with it. "Hey you have to leave that here!" I said no, thats the point of the core charge. "OHHHHHH man, we didn't know what you meant blah blah blah." What the hell ever. It was not a fun experience overall.

And the part I wanna know is, why didn't I get any warning lights that the alternator was going? It was weak enough that the car would lose all power for a few seconds.

·
Dad
316 Posts
both my lights went on - and fyi I called the auto parts store and got pretty much the same price - then called a local shop and got it for 200 installed!

·
10,373 Posts
djsassan said:
there is a warning....both brake and battery lights come on.
Yeah, that's what *should* happen. Damn, sorry about th ebad experience with the alternator. I'm glad everything is running well now.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
djsassan said:
[B It was weak enough that the car would lose all power for a few seconds. [/B]
I don't understand that part. Are you saying you would completely lose power or there was a dip? There's a battery to supply power when the alternator is not.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: alternator

kenshi said:
I don't understand that part. Are you saying you would completely lose power or there was a dip? There's a battery to supply power when the alternator is not.
well, all the lights would shut off, the car would just die, for a second, then come back on.

Then tonight, the battery and brake lights come on, with the new alternator in. I guess the new one still has probs (since they are not really new, but instead rebuilt). However, it is not consistent. Also, when I rev the engine past 1700 RPM, the lights go off. WTF?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Auto Tech
1,027 Posts
ya that happened to me while driving, you'll notice your car's interior lights dimming when ur driving, ur music starts gettin crackly, guage lights get dimmer and dimmer, digital cd player lights get dimmer and dimmer, then battery light comes on, then cars slows to a hault, and the engine croaks....you're walkin from there buddy...hah that sucks

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Priced one this afternoon at PoopBoys - $115 plus $95 core.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kierandill said:
Priced one this afternoon at PoopBoys - $115 plus $95 core.
this is the only one with a lifetime warranty.....and I have a stereo, so I am sure I will use it.......last time, it took 3 tries until I got a good one.....maybe this is the same deal.

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
3,816 Posts
A Pep Boys or Autozone alternator is garbage. It's designed to break down after 20,000 miles.

I went through 5 alternators in my Corsica . It didn't help I had a system but WTF. 5 Alternators???? I'm gonna buy a dealer alternator or most likely get mine rebuilt when it dies.

Because of this post I actually started calling around and got some quotes for a Alternator rebuild. It's about $100 for a 14.5 volt rebuild... (If they have the parts).

Here's the problem. The stock alternator is between 12.5 and 14 volts and they say about 50 amps. You want a alternator to be 200-300 amps. This of course is for high powered systems. Now the volts aren't the real issue, it's the amps and they can't increase the amps. You have to buy a high output alternator from Stinger or someone like that. So if your alternator dies get it rebuilt.

If you want to find a place near you that rebuilds Alternators?
Go here.
http://209.247.222.10/yellowpages/s...e=yp/distancesearch.htm&ck=&adrVer=-1&ver=5.1

Type "Alternator" for the search and your address.
Then try "Generator" for the search.

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
3,816 Posts
Here's the problem Sassan.

Those Alternators die often. Yeah they have a liftime warrentty but you still have to have it installed. That's where they get you. Since you don't know how to install one that's $50 you have to pay someone else. By your 3rd one you already paid for 2 Alternators.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DeRaNgEd said:
Here's the problem Sassan.

Those Alternators die often. Yeah they have a liftime warrentty but you still have to have it installed. That's where they get you. Since you don't know how to install one that's $50 you have to pay someone else. By your 3rd one you already paid for 2 Alternators.
I know how to do it.......not hard at all......I mean, its an alternator.......its the time and tools issue..........and I think I am just gonna get a bigger cap to settle my issues

1 - 18 of 18 Posts