The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got this car about a year ago it had hard shifting 1-2 when cold and shift flare 2-3 depending how hard you were pushing it anywhere from 300-1000rpm jumps.
So I searched and read the trans rebuild guide and found the band adjustment is easy to get to and the proper procedure is tighten to 4 to 5.8 inch pounds then back off 2.5 turns.
I didn't have the room on a sidewalk to do that safely. So I just kept pulling the intake tube and tightening the band partial turns at a time till the shift flare was gone. I went total 1.5 turns in just a guess.Car doesn't shift flare anymore and the 1-2 slam is less than before.

Here's videos of the procedure and results.

No one has posted how to do this and it is very easy actually.
Took me about 5 partial turns till it felt solid no jump.....for now will update if any issues arise. I have another car to drive and a junkyard trans is only $150 but this is easier and cheaper fix might give u more time to get another car or get a junkyard one put in.

"Procedure"

4th try
5th try

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I do stuff like that and even to cars with no band adjustments at all. You shim the band closer with whatever the situation calls for, I've gotten 20 more years out of a car by use of a thirty cent washer before. My Fords use a series of longer band bolts, I simply made a band adjuster for those where none existed before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I had a few other cars like a 85 Fifth Ave and the band adjust got it shifting smooth. The 05 Altima has been fine past few days. Getting used to not having to let go of pedal before 2-3 shift. Now just hold it steady and it shifts good.....

·
Registered
Kargirl Kellie “GTFOH” Can a DirtyGirl have some Fun?
5 Posts
Yeah I had a few other cars like a 85 Fifth Ave and the band adjust got it shifting smooth. The 05 Altima has been fine past few days. Getting used to not having to let go of pedal before 2-3 shift. Now just hold it steady and it shifts good.....
I have a very nice stock and my daily driver all white (all white paints lover) “CAN”’ ‘04 Altima SL 2.5 and ’06 Altima 3.5 Full Mod with a 2 tank digi set up. (It’s empty, I bought car added some exterior mods and changed out exhaust, never messed with nos so help down the line maybe from someone) on ‘04 just flushed about 2 weeks ago, had a low bass like whine and went along with speed. A slight 1-2once in a great while. But 2-3 every time. If I raced it no slips at all, fluid movement thriugh all gears. After the flush and additive.... worked great. Omg that fake foot shift to help with slip and after flush it was like I was driving a different car, took several trips to force myself not let off at that exact moment, as i also had mine for over a year before I did this flush. FYI, the old fluid looked like 100k burnt oil!! slightly lubricant water version With a true black signature!!, no hint of any other color.
The famous but. I redid my brakes, I didn’t know about the metaltabs that need to be in pad tabs to release them,we’ll help them, I drove home parked, next morning go to back out and my rh front was almost locked up. Took about 5 miles to get the pads to fully release, (fixed tabs later that day brakes are now touchy) during my 5 mile tractor pull, it was causing my trans to slip, so now those flares/slips are fully evident again, worse then before. Going to try this as I have no choice at this point. So loosen lock nut and then tighten just snuggly and then loosen back gradually until slips are reduced or gone, correct? (Forgive my grammar of my giant sentences) Thanks for everyone’s help these past 4 year, I have learned so much from this site alone 10-1 over any other site for Altima’s.. I come on and just read about other issues so I know what to do ahead of time and also so I’m not in panic mode at first!! Anyways I appreciate everyone of you along with some of the unique characters on here. Stay Safe and hug your Altima daily!!

0606BFD0-A49F-41C1-A991-094FBDE95F42.jpeg Don’t Forget to HugYour Altima Todqy!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I been creeping on here for about 4 years off and on, always found my answers never needed to register, but I had to comment on getting used to not fake foot shifting anymore, not fake but helpful release of gas pedal movement,lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just flushed about 2 weeks ago, had a low bass like whine and went along with speed. A slight 1-2once in a great while. But 2-3 every time. If I raced it no slips at all, fluid movement thriugh all gears. After the flush and additive.... worked great. Omg that fake foot shift to help with slip and after flush it was like I was driving a different car, took several trips to force myself not let off at that exact moment, as i also had mine for over a year before I did this flush. FYI, the old fluid looked like 100k burnt true black, no hint of any other color. The famous but. I redid my brakes, I didn’t know about the metaltabs that need to be in pad tabs to release them,we’ll help them, I drove home parked, next morning go to back out and my rh front was almost locked up. Took about 5 miles to get the pads to fully release, (fixed tabs later that day brakes are now touchy) during my 5 mile tractor pull, it was causing my trans to slip, so now those flares/slips are fully evident again, worse then before. Going to try this as I have no choice at this point. So loosen lock nut and then tighten just snuggly and then loosen back gradually until slips are reduced or gone, correct? (Forgive my grammar of my giant sentence)
I drive it everyday and it's still solid. I can actually go up hills without the jump 2-3.
I loosened the locknut 14mm with the wrench did quarter turn on the band tightened then drove the car and kept repeating. All u have to remove is the intake elbow(put it back on everytime) and be careful the starter terminal is live + power. The T30 tightens the band bolt. I did it 5 times (maybe full turn and a half)till it was no jump anymore. Drives like a normal car no more having to hold back or even worse was trying to pass someone or highway merge lol....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ll let you know how it goes, doing this tomorrow. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts