The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a 2002 Altima 3.5 manual thats been giving me problems for a while now. The thing runs strong and only has 110k miles on it. The problem started on a road trip where when it's warmed up, it loses a lot of power in acceleration.

I replaced I believe one of the o2 sensors months ago, which was said to be a common problem, but nothing. Along with the power loss, it was making a loud hiss when driving so I went under and removed the front pipe with both flex pipes. It had two small holes rusted into the pipe so I plan on replacing that for around 150.

I have low expectations that replacing that part will do nothing more than get rid of the hiss, so my next step would be the 02 sensors. Is there any help out there on how many o2 sensors there are and locations on a 2002 3.5? If so, which ones are more known to go bad? If replaced and problem isn't fixed, what the next approach would be?

I'm trying not to dump too much cash into this car, seeing that the value isn't all that high for the year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi there, I have a 2002 Altima 3.5 manual thats been giving me problems for a while now. The thing runs strong and only has 110k miles on it. The problem started on a road trip where when it's warmed up, it loses a lot of power in acceleration.

I replaced I believe one of the o2 sensors months ago, which was said to be a common problem, but nothing. Along with the power loss, it was making a loud hiss when driving so I went under and removed the front pipe with both flex pipes. It had two small holes rusted into the pipe so I plan on replacing that for around 150.

I have low expectations that replacing that part will do nothing more than get rid of the hiss, so my next step would be the o2 sensors. Is there any help out there on how many o2 sensors there are and locations on a 2002 3.5? If so, which ones are more known to go bad? If replaced and problem isn't fixed, what the next approach would be?

I'm trying not to dump too much cash into this car, seeing that the value isn't all that high for the year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Correction, it was the Mass Airflow Sensor I had replaced, not an o2

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello fellow 3.5SE owner.

Your car has four O2 sensors, 2 for each bank of cylinder. So there's 1 upstream sensor before the precat and 1 downstream sensor after the precat. So one set of upstream/downstream sensor in the front of the car by the radiator and another set in the rear by the firewall. When ordering parts they always go Bank X Sensor Y, where Bank 1 is the firewall side. So Bank 1 Sensor 2 would be the firewall side, downstream sensor. Sensor 1 would be the upstream one.

Anyway, if it was the O2 sensors going bad they should set the check engine light off. Starting off with the basics, whens the last time the spark plugs were changed? They play a huge part and are usually only good for a max of 100k miles. Each cylinder also has a coil pack that sits on top of the spark plug, these can go bad as well causing crazy misfires and loss of power. I'm at 130k on mine and had to replace 3 coil packs so far.

Is the check engine light on?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts