The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently switched from an Accord EX to an Altima SV and here are some of my thoughts for anyone interested.

I am going to post my opinion on the two very nice cars. Keep in mind that I am 78 years old and comfort is foremost in my mind hence the swap to the Altima.

I like the side view of both cars equally well. The front view goes hands down to the Accord. The rear view would also go to the Accord except that I do like the idea that I can remove the Nissan emblem where I could not remove the Honda emblem.

I like the stock wheels on the Altima better than the stock EX wheels, but my wife liked the 17" Chrome look accessory wheels on the EX better. I might add they were pretty pricey.

I am no longer interested in handling and performance so people who are interested in that will totally disagree with me and rightly so. I don't drive hard so there is not much difference in the performance for my style of driving.

The CVT in the EX is quieter and seems smoother as well. This might show up even more if you like to drive aggressively.

The ride is where I selected the SV over the EX. The suspension is a little softer although I can still feel the joints in the road. It is the SV seats that really stand out to me. They are much more comfortable with the exception of the lumbar support which is better in the EX.

I don't pay too much attention to the interior so for me there is not that much difference. I did put the wood trim on the EX and that made it stand out much better than the SV, but my wife has put her foot down about me spending all that money on the SV again.

The glove box in the SV is much larger and can hold her SurfacePro quite easily. The center console is much larger as well. Part of that is due to the fact that the SV does not have the rear passenger a/c vents.

We are both on the small side so we have more than enough room front and rear. Tall people might have a little problem in the rear seat area. On the other hand the trunk in the SV is so deep I cannot even reach the back without crawling into the trunk. I also like that the SV trunk lid goes up high enough I don't have to worry about hitting my head on it. The SV also has the 40/60 split rear seats not that I have ever used them.

The cameras are what I miss most about the EX. The center screen is much larger on the EX than the SV screen and when you turn the steering wheel the lines on the camera would turn with the car. They do not on the SV. I loved the lane change camera on the EX. That is the thing that I shall miss the most.

The paint on the Accord was quite a bit smoother than the Altima paint. There is some orange peel in the Altima paint. The one plus for me is that the Altima white is not pearlescent. Thus easier to match and cheaper to repair. It will match my Frontier pick-up.

The hood on the Altima is way lighter which works great for a little old man like me. The gas filler door on the Altima seems more solid than the one on the Accord. It always moved around to the touch on the EX and did not quite line up with the body.

The Altima has a courtesy light in the door that shows red to the rear and white to the ground. That is a nice feature to me. The vanity mirror lights on the Accord are much better than the ones on the Altima. I may have to see if I can find some LED's for them.

The grill on the SV is painted and also the rear lower panel is painted to match the car. I had to pay to have that done to the EX. The Altima has dual exhaust and I had to add that to the EX. I do like the oval tips on the Accord better. The Altima has decent tips, but they left the exhaust pipe showing on the inside. I will be getting some double wall SS tips as soon as I can find the time.

The Altima came with deep tinted windows and I think I'll probably have that removed. I get reflections from the dash in the day time and I think I won't be able to see out at night. I try not to drive at night, but that is too much of a safety issue for me.

If I could just take the best from each car I would have a really nice car for me. I am probably forgetting something, but if I missed anything you were interested in let me know.

I knew that I would forget something. Neither my wife nor I are techies so we did not get the navigation or tech packages so I cannot speak about those. I also forgot the radio. To me the Accord radio was okay, but I only listen to talk radio. My wife did not like the Accord radio because there was almost no bass in it. The Altima definitely wins here.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The paint on the Accord was quite a bit smoother than the Altima paint. There is some orange peel in the Altima paint. The one plus for me is that the Altima white is not pearlescent. Thus easier to match and cheaper to repair. It will match my Frontier pick-up.

I am probably forgetting something, but if I missed anything you were interested in let me know.
Isn't the Altima White specifically called "Pearl White"? My white SL is definitely a pearlescent colour...maybe not with as much pearl as a three coat Cadillac, but it is definitely a pearl.
Does Nissan offer a "plain" white in the U.S.?, because the only Altima white offered in Canada, regardless of model, is Pearl White.

Based on the above, I don't think that the white touch up paint for your Frontier will match very well.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
I drove the Accord before I got my Altima I loved the drivetrain on the V6 model Accord (not a CVT) but there were deal breakers. 1. No option for cloth seats with the V6. 2. Ride was rough for 32k $ car, 3. To get the V6 you had to option up to 32k, my Altima SV 3.5 was only 25k $s. Honda lost my business on option packages alone.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't the Altima White specifically called "Pearl White"? My white SL is definitely a pearlescent colour...maybe not with as much pearl as a three coat Cadillac, but it is definitely a pearl.
Does Nissan offer a "plain" white in the U.S.?, because the only Altima white offered in Canada, regardless of model, is Pearl White.

Based on the above, I don't think that the white touch up paint for your Frontier will match very well.
Here they have QAB Pearl White and QAK glacier White which is what I have. No, the Frontier is not quite as pure white as the Altima.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove the Accord before I got my Altima I loved the drivetrain on the V6 model Accord (not a CVT) but there were deal breakers. 1. No option for cloth seats with the V6. 2. Ride was rough for 32k $ car, 3. To get the V6 you had to option up to 32k, my Altima SV 3.5 was only 25k $s. Honda lost my business on option packages alone.
The ride and the seats were the main reason I switched.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed the emblems from the rear of the Altima today and what a bear. That is the most and the toughest adhesive I have ever dealt with. This would be another area where the Accord is better. At least with the Altima I was able to remove the Nissan emblem and I could not do that with the Accord.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Technically a good adhesive is a good thing, in terms of long term durability I would think. I had no idea they offered two types of white for the Altima, mine is the pearl white, although a nice pure non pearl white would look great!

Thank you for your comparison between both cars, feedback from owners of multiple vehicles is more reliable than someone who randomly hates a certain brand lol. Welcome back!!!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Technically a good adhesive is a good thing, in terms of long term durability I would think. I had no idea they offered two types of white for the Altima, mine is the pearl white, although a nice pure non pearl white would look great!

Thank you for your comparison between both cars, feedback from owners of multiple vehicles is more reliable than someone who randomly hates a certain brand lol. Welcome back!!!
I was very excited when I was able to get the Glacier White. The pearl white on the Accord was okay, but I prefer the pure white. It will match my Frontier better and it is easier to match if you ever have to do any body repair work. It is also much cheaper.

WeatherTech makes a license frame with white trim on it and I am going to get one as soon as I recover from all of the upgrades I am currently doing. It was not a match for the pearl white on the Accord.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Keep in mind that I am 78 years old...
I had to read that part over again! Are you sure you didn't mean to write 28 years old? The types of mods you are doing are extremely atypical for a gentleman of your age :wink

Since you like comfort, though, I doubt that you will be rolling the fenders in order to clear your new 22" Wheels :grin

I only hope that I am still enjoying my motorcycle when I'm your age! Good on ya!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Kinda remember you...

Didn't you go from An Altima to the Accord, now back to the Altima again?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had to read that part over again! Are you sure you didn't mean to write 28 years old? The types of mods you are doing are extremely atypical for a gentleman of your age :wink

Since you like comfort, though, I doubt that you will be rolling the fenders in order to clear your new 22" Wheels :grin

I only hope that I am still enjoying my motorcycle when I'm your age! Good on ya!
That is the same thing I keep hearing from my wife.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kinda remember you...

Didn't you go from An Altima to the Accord, now back to the Altima again?
Nice memory. I bought a 2014 Altima SV 2 years ago, but when it came in they had drilled the front bumper for a license plate. I had told two salesmen, the finance guy and the sales manager I would not accept a car with the front bumper drilled.

The day the car came in they called me and when I went to pick it up there it sat with not only the front bumper drilled, but a dealers tag mounted. I refused the car and they did not offer to find another one. I went next door and bought the Accord.

The Accord was a nice enough car just too rough riding for my liking.

Reactions: Crisisx1

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Decent comparison.

The Nissan Altima 2.5 SL is more comparable to the Honda EX, though.
Actually the SV is the comparable car to the EX. The SL is comparable to the EX-L. I do not have the convenience package on the SV and I did on the EX. I passed this time so I would not have to have another moon roof.

I did add a HomeLink to the SV which would have been in the convenience package. I don't really care that much about the rest of the convenience package items.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's fine but I was comparing a basic trim without any add-ons.

A better comparison would be:

Altima SV = Accord LX
ALtima SL = Accord EX-L
Honda EX = NO comparable Altima trim level since the sunroof is NOT included as a Standard feature on the Altima as it is on the Honda EX.

Basic trim levels without Any options added.

The Accord EX has a sunroof while Altima SV doesn't unless you get it as an option so the comparison would be more appropriate then with the Altima SL except that it then adds the leather. Once you add the leather to the Altima, then the related Accord trim would then be changed to the EX-L to match the Altima SL.

It was easier when Honda & Nissan had ~3 trim levels each from years past instead of 4-5 trim levels today which don't match each other unless you add options, IF available, which has Not the case from Honda in which you got what is available based in the trim level provided.

You'd have to match it properly and closely enough in equipment options to get a good sense for price and trim comparisons.

FWIW... I own a new 2014 Altima 2.5 SL and did a similar shopping experience comparison with the Accord EX-L and I used to come from a Honda family.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice memory. I bought a 2014 Altima SV 2 years ago, but when it came in they had drilled the front bumper for a license plate. I had told two salesmen, the finance guy and the sales manager I would not accept a car with the front bumper drilled.

The day the car came in they called me and when I went to pick it up there it sat with not only the front bumper drilled, but a dealers tag mounted. I refused the car and they did not offer to find another one. I went next door and bought the Accord.

The Accord was a nice enough car just too rough riding for my liking.
I like your logic. Back in 1994 most of the dealerships around here (SW Georgia) were buffing the cars prior to final delivery. They were using dirty/worn out buffing pads on power buffers. This left very prominent swirl marks on the paint, especially on darker cars.

I told the salesman if they "buffed" the black '94 Accord EX I wanted, they would keep it. Apparently they got the message and the car was not touched.

Sorry the dummies screwed up your Altima. :frown

I'm a long time owner of many Hondas and was about to buy another Accord. However, since they went to a CVT and the seats are terrible , I bought a 2015 Altima S spec-ed back in October. (I'm 52yrs old and rock hard seats are not my thing). I'm hoping that since Nissan has had much more time to iron out their CVT issues that this one will be ok. I like the overall design of the Altima's interior more than the Accord, and to me the Altima is generally just a better looking and riding car.

Have you had any issues with your Altima yet?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's fine but I was comparing a basic trim without any add-ons.

A better comparison would be:

Altima SV = Accord LX
ALtima SL = Accord EX-L
Honda EX = NO comparable Altima trim level since the sunroof is NOT included as a Standard feature on the Altima as it is on the Honda EX.

Basic trim levels without Any options added.

The Accord EX has a sunroof while Altima SV doesn't unless you get it as an option so the comparison would be more appropriate then with the Altima SL except that it then adds the leather. Once you add the leather to the Altima, then the related Accord trim would then be changed to the EX-L to match the Altima SL.

It was easier when Honda & Nissan had ~3 trim levels each from years past instead of 4-5 trim levels today which don't match each other unless you add options, IF available, which has Not the case from Honda in which you got what is available based in the trim level provided.

You'd have to match it properly and closely enough in equipment options to get a good sense for price and trim comparisons.

FWIW... I own a new 2014 Altima 2.5 SL and did a similar shopping experience comparison with the Accord EX-L and I used to come from a Honda family.
For us not having a sunroof/moonroof is a plus. When you price the EX and the SV with convenience package the SV is still a little cheaper and that is why I think the EX/SV comparison is valid. In early 2014 when I was trying to buy a 2014 SV you had the option to order an SV with convenience package and no sunroof. I am not sure if that is still available or not.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like your logic. Back in 1994 most of the dealerships around here (SW Georgia) were buffing the cars prior to final delivery. They were using dirty/worn out buffing pads on power buffers. This left very prominent swirl marks on the paint, especially on darker cars.

I told the salesman if they "buffed" the black '94 Accord EX I wanted, they would keep it. Apparently they got the message and the car was not touched.
Accord. However, since they went to a CVT and the seats are terrible , I bought a 2015 Altima S spec-ed back in October. (I'm 52yrs old and rock
Sorry the dummies screwed up your Altima. :frown

I'm a long time owner of many Hondas and was about to buy another hard seats are not my thing). I'm hoping that since Nissan has had much more time to iron out their CVT issues that this one will be ok. I like the overall design of the Altima's interior more than the Accord, and to me the Altima is generally just a better looking and riding car.

Have you had any issues with your Altima yet?
I am still in the process of modding the car so we have not driven it much yet. I am 78 and I totally agree on the seats in the Altima. That is its biggest attraction for my wife and I. I still have several things on order for the car and will take it in Tuesday to have the Xpel installed and a darker upper windshield tint added. It came with a dark window tint and I am not sure I will keep that although it does look great, especially since I had the "B" and "C" pillars painted gloss black.

Other than the CVT being a bit more sluggish and a little louder than the CVT in the Accord I am not having any problems. I do miss the better cameras in the Accord.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts