The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Barkless Dog
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to first and second generation Altima owners -

Did Nissan alieinate its previous Altima audience/enthusiasts by pushing the new larger 2002 Altima against the Camry and Accord size?

Will younger Altima buyers gravitate towards the Sentra SERV or the new Altima?

Will the new Altima become a real performance car to openly be modified?

I do not see a lot of modified Camry's

·
Official Troll
3,031 Posts
Did you get your promo package from Nissan in the mail yet? When you do, check out the '02 brouchure and the cd-rom.

And remember.... Nissan is revitalizing their image of being sporty, sleek, high performance cars. Look at the Max. Max's are openly tunable.

Camry's are reliable soccer mom car's. Now Toyota is trying to make the Camry acceptable to take to the opera. I don't think you're going ot see modded Camry's.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
15,220 Posts
well think of it this way.. Altima was a grocery car geared to small families i guess..

The new one increases its size, and lets it still be a family car, but gives "dad" the power he longs for from a sports car he gave up when he got married....

Younger folks can take the Sentra, and older folks the Max and infiniti...

·
Banned
0 Posts
victor said:

The new one increases its size, and lets it still be a family car, but gives "dad" the power he longs for from a sports car he gave up when he got married....

speaking from experience? :D

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
don't think a sentra can compete with camry and accord for family sedan. Maxima isn't a fair comparison cuz it's pseudo luxury...should run with 3series bimmer for example. What's left? Altima. It's still going against camries and accords. so what's the problem? Nobody's alienating anybody.
Jay

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
15,220 Posts
djsassan said:

speaking from experience? :D
unfortunately.. no... Not a dad yet, and the only car I had was a 92 Cavalier RS 5-spd.. looked better than many new cars..

was killed by a 1G Altima, Dec 24, 1998. 4 days after returning from my wedding. :mad:

but mostly, isn't it alwsy the case where the dad gives up his small car for the sake of the family?

·
7,727 Posts
victor said:
that's why my cousin in law bought a odyssey for the family and a boxster for him and his wife.

·
The Saga Continues......
1,210 Posts
I think that the altima was great back in the day. They were very affordable ranging between 14g and 17g. Now with the big boy option being at around 25g, it's hard to say that people will stay with it. After all, there are quite a few cars out there better for the buck. Gonna be tough. They should've tried to keep it around 20g. Then it would be all good. But still.....I WANT A NEW ALTY BAD!!!

·
Official Troll
3,031 Posts
victor said:
.... and older folks the Max and infiniti...
"older folks".... hahahahaha.... tell that to the guys on Maxima.org

You got to remember that this will eventually be the Maxima replacement, and the Max is moving uptown.

So we're going to see this merging of the Altima enthusiasts and Max enthusiasts.

stillen23 said:
I think that the altima was great back in the day. They were very affordable ranging between 14g and 17g. Now with the big boy option being at around 25g, it's hard to say that people will stay with it. After all, there are quite a few cars out there better for the buck. Gonna be tough. They should've tried to keep it around 20g. Then it would be all good. But still.....I WANT A NEW ALTY BAD!!!
But 25k, you're talking about the V6. What do you expect? People have been long complaining about being beat in an Altima by other cars and been complaining the lack of a V6 to have that extra power over the other guy.

If you really want to make a fair comparison, then compare the 1st and 2nd gens to the 4-cyl 3rd gens. Did anyone get there promo in the mail and looked at the brouchure???

Look at everything you're getting, even for the 4-cyl....

A rear suspension that is an adaptation of the Skyline.
Lightweight, less friction aluminum engine.
Variable intake.
Variable capacity muffler.
Quieter timming chain.
Keyless entry with windows down button.
Trip computer that calculates everything.

·
hard on equipment
862 Posts
Yeah, I don't think anyone's being alienated either. The price tag on the new Altimas is very competitive with Accords and Cam's, even the V6 price tags. And in my mind (call me a NISSANFREAK hehe) the Altima offers something different, from styling to engineering. The new Altima is just a little more grown-up than the ones we're used to.

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
akima said:
A question to first and second generation Altima owners -

Did Nissan alieinate its previous Altima audience/enthusiasts by pushing the new larger 2002 Altima against the Camry and Accord size?

Will younger Altima buyers gravitate towards the Sentra SERV or the new Altima?

Will the new Altima become a real performance car to openly be modified?

I do not see a lot of modified Camry's
I don't see alot of [email protected] Camry's either...

·
Barkless Dog
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am getting the feeling that the original Altima was a sporty good handling smaller -mid sized car aimed at younger people who enjoy performance, unique styling (which the first generation had) and a good price. It fit into the size car that people like to costomize, not much piont of hot rodding a large family car even if it is a performance car. The Maxima buyers as stated above are usally older guys who enjoy performance, but want a bigger comfy leather lux ride.

The new Altima does have the performance pieces to keep young and old interested. But being a larger vehicle does fit more with a buisness or family life style who still like a sports car and not a boring mobile.

If I were younger and had to make a choice I would look at the WRX, Sentra SERV or the Mazda Protege Mp3 or 5. their size is for young people and for performance. You do not need all the room the new Altima has, that is unless you plan to fil lit with sub woofers, not children.

Therefore I believe that the new Altima is for a lot of the younger owners on this site in about five or ten years after a bushel or two of children or those who have to tote around business people. The sentra SERV is for the younger performance buyers.

The new NIssan is for performance people of all ages with vehicles broken down by age and situation(kids etc)

Thats why I see Nissan alienating younger previous Altima owners, but not totally because of the SERV. THe Altima has jumped ship to Maxima type owners!
My gawd!!!!!

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
15,220 Posts
flarearrow said:

"older folks".... hahahahaha.... tell that to the guys on Maxima.org
not meaning old fuddie duddies... just those that can afford a (2001 pricing) 20K+ Max over a 15K+ Alty will generally be older than an Altima driver, if you throw out the old ladies that skew the Altima median age... :D

·
Barkless Dog
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the siver backs in my hood are the drivers

·
Be very afraid...
4,573 Posts
I don't think they've alienated us. In fact, I like the attention we're getting now, even if it is a completely new and different car.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
akima said:
I am getting the feeling that the original Altima was a sporty good handling smaller -mid sized car aimed at younger people who enjoy performance, unique styling (which the first generation had) and a good price. It fit into the size car that people like to costomize, not much piont of hot rodding a large family car even if it is a performance car. The Maxima buyers as stated above are usally older guys who enjoy performance, but want a bigger comfy leather lux ride.

The new Altima does have the performance pieces to keep young and old interested. But being a larger vehicle does fit more with a buisness or family life style who still like a sports car and not a boring mobile.

If I were younger and had to make a choice I would look at the WRX, Sentra SERV or the Mazda Protege Mp3 or 5. their size is for young people and for performance. You do not need all the room the new Altima has, that is unless you plan to fil lit with sub woofers, not children.

Therefore I believe that the new Altima is for a lot of the younger owners on this site in about five or ten years after a bushel or two of children or those who have to tote around business people. The sentra SERV is for the younger performance buyers.

The new NIssan is for performance people of all ages with vehicles broken down by age and situation(kids etc)

Thats why I see Nissan alienating younger previous Altima owners, but not totally because of the SERV. THe Altima has jumped ship to Maxima type owners!
My gawd!!!!!

the altima was never meant to be a pocket rocket type car.... it was a grocery getter, and with the third gen, it's now an even better grocery getter...

i'm 19 now. and i chose to have an altima. i wasn't forced to have it. am i a "rare" breed? yes...

the altima has always been the four cyl to compete with the camcord 4's... so it's always competed against the camry and accord....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts