The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been caught off-guard by the auto locking feature?

I was getting ready to load some stuff into the Altima, and it got me. The car was in my garage but locked. I hit the unlock twice to unlock all the doors, and I heard them unlock and saw the lights flash. Then I was gathering up my stuff to load into the car, and when I had it all ready and walked over to the Altima…I heard the doors lock. Sure enough, they were locked when I tried them. I figured that it was some kind of built-in feature, but nevertheless it made me feel like the car saw me coming and locked the doors. Spooky:eek:

Yep, it states this feature in the manual, but I didn’t bother to read it cover to cover when I got the Altima.

It is a neat feature, but I wonder how many people realize that the Altima does that.
-Kevin

·
Registered
65 Posts
I haven't had my Altima auto-lock before. I leave all the doors unlocked in the garage every night and in the morning, they're still unlocked when I open the driver's side to get in. Is your key fob hitting against something?

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
when you unlock the Alty using the key fob, if you don't open a door within a minute or so, it relocks. This is in case you accidentally hit the unlock button when the fob was in your pocket or something.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Afty said:
when you unlock the Alty using the key fob, if you don't open a door within a minute or so, it relocks. This is in case you accidentally hit the unlock button when the fob was in your pocket or something.
Woohoo

*tallies up another one for "cool things my car does"*

I'll test it out later on tonight.

·
older then dirt
50 Posts
yes, mine has the auto -lock feature too,
if it's locked w/ alarm and you unlock it with
the remote, you have only a short time to open
the doors before re-sets its self,. then.... if you
drive the car and then get out and " NOT LOCK it "
it will not lock it self... then your car will get ripped off
by some PUNK and you'll be crying!! :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the manual said it waits for 5 min, but I sware it was less time than that. I will have to time it. (I wonder if my Pathfinder does the same thing?)

I did not even have the remote on me when it happend guys...the auto-lock IS a feature of the Altima; however, I have set the panic alarm off when putting the keys in my pocket. That big square Nissan key hits the Panic button just right to push it in. I have learned to arrange my keys on the back side of the remote before I jam them in my pocket.

Anyway, I thought it was funny that the car freaked me out. :)

·
AE '00
356 Posts
Cool!!! I didn't know that it did that. I'll have to test this out tonite. Most of the time I've accidentally set off the panic alarm and scared everyone who's around the car, not to mention waking the neighbors up early in the morning. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Speaking of autolocking, have any of you guys have this happen to you? Right when I put the car in drive I hear the car make the sound like its locking all doors but it never does. I know in other cars they have an autolocking feature once you put the car in drive. Does our cars do that? I couldn't find it in the manual.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,809 Posts
yes

cedman said:
Speaking of autolocking, have any of you guys have this happen to you? Right when I put the car in drive I hear the car make the sound like its locking all doors but it never does. I know in other cars they have an autolocking feature once you put the car in drive. Does our cars do that? I couldn't find it in the manual.
Mine does it too

·
Registered
96 Posts
cedman said:
This is the ABS self test, I also thought it was the doors locking when the car was still new, but then I noticed the door locks were not moving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cedman said:
I believe what you're hearing is the ABS checking itself, making sure everything is operating properly.

Regarding the auto lock feature, I too have NEVER encountered this. I leave my car unlocked in the garage all night and every morning it remains unlocked. Is there some way to activate/inactivate this feature? OR maybe the car just knows when and when not to lock itself. That would definitely be a cool feature! :p

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
Again, in my experience the auto lock only occurs when you unlock the doors using the key fob but don't open a door. After about a minute the doors auto lock, assuming that you didn't intend to unlock them if you haven't opened a door yet.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,809 Posts
Let me help you lazy bastards

Turn to page 3-6 in your manual. Start reading under
Unlocking doors, right underneath the pic of the remote. All of your questions will be answered.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.