The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
New 08 Altima Hybrid owner here. Car came equipped with 215/60/16 tires (Michelin Primacy MXV4) mounted on 16" Alloy rims. I recently picked up a set of 370Z rims with Yokohama Advan Sport tires (225/50/18) for cheap. Installed and happy with the look; the ride unfortunately became more stiff (as expected) as well as decrease in mpg (from 35 to barely making 32 if driving very carefully). The motor kicks in much faster as well (I assume due to weight/load) At current gas prices, it is not a big deal but I am looking for an advice to options I have.

Stock 16" rims (aluminum) with Michelin tires weigh 42.4 lbs (inflated at 34 psi). I was able to find a spec which claimed Michelin MXV4 tire in that size weighs 22 lbs.
The upgraded 18" Nissan 370Z rims with tires weigh 54.4 lbs (At 37psi). The Yokohama's in that size according to TireRack weighs 29 lbs.

Therefore, the difference of 12lbs/wheel (54.4-42.4) is split 7&6 lbs between tires (29-22) and wheels (per wheel/tire). If I were to install the Low Rolling Resistance tire (similar to Continental TruContact weighing 23 lbs, the difference between tire weights would be just 1 lbs. I realize that Yokohama is more of a summer max performance tire and Continental is All-Season Touring tire (with much better thread wear 800 UTQG vs 180 for Yokohama's) and thus the performance might not be the same.

Wheel/Tire Size comparison (size/offset/etc) based on the old and new (hope this helps)

Question: Would the ride be not as firm/bouncy with the Touring tire? Would the mpg improve (how significantly?) Or is it all dependent on the width and diameter of the tire and weight/LRR is not as important. Should I consider 225/55/18 for a softer ride? Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well the reason for the ride to be more harsh than before is because of the tire series you have. With 50 from 60 series tires there is no enough cushion to absorb the impact of every bump also additional contribution is the wheel size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured. So would putting 55 tires help the ride? How would it effect mpg? Do Touring all-season tires usually ride better/softer then summer performance? Does weight matter at all or is it all about width/diameter and traction of the rubber that effects power/mpg? Sorry for all the questions, not sure what to do here. I saw few folks here upgrade to 18th and was hoping to hear their stories... Anyone? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well it may help, using a 55 series tires would be more tolerable compared with the 50 series. About the mpg, the design of the tread my contribute in saving mpg, just like with Goodyear with their Duraplus and Nitto tires Motivo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts