The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any information on this, if any?

2014 Nissan Altima Poor Mpg: 6 Complaints

Compliant link poster states: "I started out getting 38 mpg. Now I am lucky to get 29 or 30 mpg. The dealership informed me that Nissan was working on a module that was located under the dash. Apparently there is a problem with the current installed control module. The module should be ready sometime in 2015. How wonderful".

I am one of the rare few who have had nearly no problems outside of the preventative recalls but my MPG has always been generally below the stated EPA average (yes, I know EPA is "ideal" environment under no load).. but my average MPG in suburban area is around 25-26mpg.. that's below the city mileage let alone a happy medium between city and highway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
SoCal traffic, pretty good. the mpg control says i'm getting 33.2 but realistically think it's approximately ~30 mpg.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I could use 'the new module' for sure. I drive the car super nice always hoping for even mid 30s mpg and never get close. And I've tried to adjust many common issues like tire pressure, etc. I love car and bought it based on the estimated mpg, but it has far from delivered so far at 19k miles. Hopefully there is a simple fix on the horizon. Thanks!

·
Registered
488 Posts
SoCal traffic, pretty good. the mpg control says i'm getting 33.2 but realistically think it's approximately ~30 mpg.
I to live in So Ca I was averaging 32.9 now I'm down to 32.4 not sure why, I know they change fuel types here for winter/summer & like you said if I do the math its more like 30mpg , enjoy the millage in this car & the power and confort too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've been collecting mileage data since 1998 and I've had 4 brand new cars since Nov 2008. The consistent factor in mileage loss is a temperature below 45F and speeds above 75mph, in the 2013 Elantra speeds above 50mph because the engine was too small for the highway speeds and long steep hills on my 100mile daily commute.

·
Registered
286 Posts
what you think the mpg lost would be on a scion iA?
If you're asking me, I've found that it's a factor of the cars total weight with you and the cargo vs the horsepower the engine produces at the rpm which it will be when you are doing 70 (or whatever speed). The elantra had 130hp, weighed 2600lbs and had a displacement of 1.8L. The other 3 cars had 2.4 or 2.5L, all 3 weighed 3100 to 3400lbs. If you click the link to my fuelly below you will see that the 40mpg claimed Elantra didn't get any better mileage than the 3 midsize sedans with much larger engines because it cruised at 3500RPM at 70mph while two others did 2000RPM flat land at 70mph and this 2.5L Altima does about 2700RPM flat land at 70mph. In fact the Elantra couldn't keep 70mph in 6th gear up Antire hill outside of St Louis on Hwy 44 which is a long steep hill notorious for causing issues for tractor trailers. The 3 larger engine but heavier sedans went up without a hint of struggle.

That said I'm all highway. A little bit of city and the subcompact would have won.

·
Registered
243 Posts
so the CVT is doing it's magic =)! how do they get such high highway numbers =( sounds like a scam.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I tried to edit this and it wiped out everything I said.

Anyway the lowest gear ratio on the CVT is .33:1 and the other cars had a gear ratio of around .75:1. There are other ratios that determine how many times the wheel will turn for how many times the engine will turn but that alone is a big difference.

As far as whatever you're talking about a scam I don't know what you're saying.

·
Registered
286 Posts
They have an EPA Highway estimate of 40 miles per gallon at 55 miles per hour. However Hyundai had to admit was actually only 38 at 55 miles per hour because they cheated. However the EPA said where the f is the highway only 55 miles per hour so they changed it to now be 70 miles an hour testing for the highway estimated mileage starting in a couple of years.

Reactions: Jin

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
They have an EPA Highway estimate of 40 miles per gallon at 55 miles per hour. However Hyundai had to admit was actually only 38 at 55 miles per hour because they cheated. However the EPA said where the f is the highway only 55 miles per hour so they changed it to now be 70 miles an hour testing for the highway estimated mileage starting in a couple of years.
jeffh,

I don't know where you obtained your info, but here is how the EPA fuel mileage testing is conducted.

Read the Detailed Test Information, click on each box for more info. You will see that the top speed in testing is 80 mph.

Detailed Test Information

·
Registered
286 Posts
Congratulation you can google and repeat. I'm well aware of that website I've seen that website now why don't you read it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Congratulation you can google and repeat. I'm well aware of that website I've seen that website now why don't you read it.
I have read it, and I understand it. That is how I know that you posted incorrect information on EPA mileage testing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have read it, and I understand it. That is how I know that you posted incorrect information on EPA mileage testing.
It says exactly what I just said. No why don't you stfu and leave me alone because I'm not in the mood for your shit today you never contributed to a single thread all you do is try to argue with people.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There it is

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It says exactly what I just said. No why don't you stfu and leave me alone because I'm not in the mood for your shit today you never contributed to a single thread all you do is try to argue with people.
If you want to post incorrect, non-factual information, that is fine with me. The link I provided has the facts.

Here is but one inaccuracy. You said "However the EPA said where the f is the highway only 55 miles per hour so they changed it to now be 70 miles an hour testing for the highway estimated mileage starting in a couple of years."

EPA says "For 2007 and earlier model year vehicles, only the city and highway schedules were used. Beginning with 2008 models, three additional tests are used to adjust the city and highway estimates to account for higher speeds, air conditioning use, and colder temperatures."

So, one can see that the higher speed, up to 80 mph, has been used since 2008, not "starting in a couple of years" as you said.

Because of the improper testing procedures, the brands were forced in 2012 to lower mileage estimates by 1 to 6 miles per gallon for a raft of model year 2011 through 2013 Hyundai and Kia.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yep you got me I'm totally wrong about that thing you just proved I was correct about. I didn't have the numbers exact and I didn't have the papers in front of me but I must just be trying to mislead everyone. Seriously dude why are you bothering me. You never ever ever ever contribute to the thread you just come in and start shit. I wish there was some way to block you from my phone because you're truly a despicable argumentative little shit.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yep you got me I'm totally wrong about that thing you just proved I was correct about. I didn't have the numbers exact and I didn't have the papers in front of me but I must just be trying to mislead everyone. Seriously dude why are you bothering me. You never ever ever ever contribute to the thread you just come in and start shit. I wish there was some way to block you from my phone because you're truly a despicable argumentative little shit.
I am truly sorry that I corrected your inaccurate information, I am not trying to bother you. I feel that I contribute a lot by providing links to what I post about; that way you or anyone else can verify what I post.

I don't disagree with your assessment of me, actually, that is the most accurate thing you have posted.

Have a good night.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts