are those welded in or bolted down? i hope they aren't just stuck in there

·
founding father
1,709 Posts
i think he said they were kinda stuck in there like a shower curtain rod

·
U13 Drifter
548 Posts
good lord...the way i drive i wouldn't be suprised if it popped out around every corner. Is there now way the bar could be modified to actually bolt down or weld onto the body? i haven't looked at that area much in the car so i'm not sure

·
Alcoholic
372 Posts
i dont think these should be considered as rear strut bars.. but maybe as crossbars or something.. cuz they DO NOT hold the struts together.... heehee.. i dont doubt that it woudnt work.... it would be much better if it was bolted though.. well.. some1 should make brackets so u can bolt em to the car.. then yeah den it be dopez

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Consider it a brace.

You could definatly weld or cut metal to make a bolt up bar but do you really WANT to do that? If you race autoX those mods would put you into street prepared or higher while this bar is legal in STS.

So far the 20+ braces in use on sentra SE-R'S have not budged even on the track with race tires.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Could you get a pic on how they stay on there!!!!!
-Smacko

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hehe...that's my 1st gen! Yay!
Anyways, we went for a test drive doing high speed hill/mountain driving with curves. It feels like the rear of the car from the axle back is 1 unit. Less flex. It's not a huge diff cuz our frame down under is pretty stiff and our cars aren't ... uh... superduper enough to cause flexing (i think). I've spoken to many 4th gen Maxima owners who use rstb and they say it's barely noticable when you're going at high speeds (read: not daily driving) (I know they have diff suspension...I'm just looking for something with similar frame).
PT is going to willow springs this weekend so he'll give a better writeup. I'm waiting for dec 8 autox and also to drive the car alone (had a passenger for the test drive).
Jay

·
candy is dandy.
3,298 Posts
man,ive had that reat stb for like 6 or so months now.just get the matrix stb and drill holes on the brackets and bolt that bitch down.45.00 and you got your rear stb.can you give us some specifics on this stb? like what brand is it? or did you just do what i did? get a matrix stb and drill it out??????

·
Registered
837 Posts
Answer and Questions :
...1fastaltima ..the bar he is using doesnt mount on top of the strut itself ..it acutally behind it ..its like a shower curtian ...altho i have my doubts on how it can really tighten up the rear also what is that bar made of ? ...question for Vtec ...do you have your back seats in your car with the Rstb Matrix ?

·
Banned
563 Posts
hey nismo happy thanksgiving ..hows my ride ? did you get the manifold bolt up yet? well im going to have my family dinner and i call u up tonights ..maybe we go out to the fair ....laters

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Ok guys, I'm @ my parents' place in South Pasadena for the weekend. If anybody wants to check out the car and take it for a test drive, please email me! I can meet up on Sat and Sun.
Jay

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
vtec killer said:
man,ive had that reat stb for like 6 or so months now.just get the matrix stb and drill holes on the brackets and bolt that bitch down.45.00 and you got your rear stb.

I was going to make the bar like that but then I wondered how it was going to bolt up securely after I drill the holes (please dont tell me you used screws). I thought I might have to take the shock out to put the bolt through and tighten it down. I wondered if the bolt would hit the shock or if while drilling I might gouge the shock shaft. The other alternative is to cut the metal at the top of the tower and then use a traditional style bolt to the top STB.
I dont know if you race at the track or autoX but if you drill or cut the metal you will be in a class with some verrry fast cars and you might as well have a roll cage and then you wouldnt need a bolt on bar at all.
So I developed a bar that does 95% of what a bolt on bar does with no drilling or cutting instals in 5 minutes using 1 tool AND is legal in the lower race classes.

can you give us some specifics on this stb? like what brand is it?

The bar is made by "Random Thoughts Racing" in San Diego. It is 1" solid 6160 aluminum and the ends are zink coated and rated to 5000lb. It weighs about 3.5lb. It does not interfere with the pass through.

or did you just do what i did? get a matrix stb and drill it out??????

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
random thoughts said:

I was going to make the bar like that but then I wondered how it was going to bolt up securely after I drill the holes (please dont tell me you used screws). I thought I might have to take the shock out to put the bolt through and tighten it down. I wondered if the bolt would hit the shock or if while drilling I might gouge the shock shaft. The other alternative is to cut the metal at the top of the tower and then use a traditional style bolt to the top STB.
I dont know if you race at the track or autoX but if you drill or cut the metal you will be in a class with some verrry fast cars and you might as well have a roll cage and then you wouldnt need a bolt on bar at all.
So I developed a bar that does 95% of what a bolt on bar does with no drilling or cutting instals in 5 minutes using 1 tool AND is legal in the lower race classes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts