The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in need of some advice or suggestions here. Currently trying to get back on the road after rebuild. Question i have here is there anything incorrect with oil catch can setup I have? Should i not have the can lines routed into the intake manifold? Should i be using a different can?

The can is filling up extremely quicky without having drven the car but a few miles so far.
i’ve replaced the PCV valve but it doesnt seem to have made a difference.

any help here would be appreciated. Currently do not have any CEL codes although live data readings show short fuel reading running lean.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Hood Car Light Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
You don't run a PCV valve with a catch can. Either one or the other. And if you do not have fuel map setting ability then you will run likely lean enough to melt the motor over time. The catch can needs baffling before going mto it to save as much oil as possible, or the engine is not sealing well at rings to make more blowby which will greatly increase flow to catch can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't run a PCV valve with a catch can. Either one or the other. And if you do not have fuel map setting ability then you will run likely lean enough to melt the motor over time. The catch can needs baffling before going mto it to save as much oil as possible, or the engine is not sealing well at rings to make more blowby which will greatly increase flow to catch can.
so after turning on and idling for a good 20 - 30mins the live data streams show that the fuel trims are within normal ranges. No longer running lean…. But still getting too much oil in catch can.
Automotive tire Tread Rim Tire Gas

can you shed some light on why the PCV valve would be required to be removed. Or as you said one or the other when debating catch can install?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Uh, you have no clue.

Catch cans are what fuel dragsters use, they do NOT use PCV valves, When you hook to intake it SUCKS OIL out of the motor. Catch can up first where on earth do you think that oil goes????

Crankcase vents into catch can and any line off the can simply hangs down low to vent to atmosphere and goes nowhere near the intake. You'll find out how good your engine build work is, if lousy then the can gets lots of oil from excessive blowby.

Similarly lost on the lean thing too, the engine is in closed loop at idle and you will have no trouble there, the trouble comes when you go to full throttle which is open loop and only a preset fuel map for that, it cannot correct for fuel like closed loop does. Why the engine fries at higher loads and I assume what you were doing when you mentioned lean higher up in the thread--getting on it hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts