The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried searching for a similar thread and couldn't find one........

so, check out the picture. left exhaust tip is higher than the right. It's kind of driving me nuts. Is there an easy at home fix for this?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
My 12 SR came like that from the factory. I took it back in and they adjusted them to even. If you backed into something, not so easy of a fix....

Yours looks bent where mine was just uneven. Hard to tell from pic

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I tried searching for a similar thread and couldn't find one........

so, check out the picture. left exhaust tip is higher than the right. It's kind of driving me nuts. Is there an easy at home fix for this?
Yep, same thing the muffler guys would do...big crow bar from underneath to adjust the exhaust hangers until it's approximately in the right orientation. Another common issue is that one muffler tip is further out than the other...usually caused by clipping one muffler on a curb and bending the Y pipe so it's slight off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, same thing the muffler guys would do...big crow bar from underneath to adjust the exhaust hangers until it's approximately in the right orientation. Another common issue is that one muffler tip is further out than the other...usually caused by clipping one muffler on a curb and bending the Y pipe so it's slight off.
Big crow bar? Do you mean basically pushing / bending it back in place, and not loosening any bolts? And if so, would you bend the right one up, or the left one down?

Sorry, total noob.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Some black magic here... You need to look at the hanger bars...those bent metal rods welded to the exhaust system components. You'll probably have to adjust more than one, but start with the ones closest to the bit that's out of alignment and start an iterative process. Or if you're lazy or live in winter for 6months of the year...do like I do...go see my friendly muffler shop and for $30 or so, an expert will throw it up on a hoist and tweak the alignment for you in 5 minutes...maybe get an oil change done at the same time and they'll do it for less/free while they wait for it to drain?

FWIW, it really helps to be able to look up at the entire system (ie up on a hoist) to figure out which bit to bend next...not fun on your back in the driveway and you'll probably need more elbow room to get enough leverage!

Don't just stick a pipe in the end of the muffler and try to fix it that way...you'll just be playing with the rubber shock mounts...you need to actually bend the metal rods to make it hang right.

Edit...just looked at the pic (sorry was busy earlier) you could have a bent pipe...in which case the muffler guy approach is recommended.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Some black magic here... You need to look at the hanger bars...those bent metal rods welded to the exhaust system components. You'll probably have to adjust more than one, but start with the ones closest to the bit that's out of alignment and start an iterative process. Or if you're lazy or live in winter for 6months of the year...do like I do...go see my friendly muffler shop and for $30 or so, an expert will throw it up on a hoist and tweak the alignment for you in 5 minutes...maybe get an oil change done at the same time and they'll do it for less/free while they wait for it to drain?

FWIW, it really helps to be able to look up at the entire system (ie up on a hoist) to figure out which bit to bend next...not fun on your back in the driveway and you'll probably need more elbow room to get enough leverage!

Don't just stick a pipe in the end of the muffler and try to fix it that way...you'll just be playing with the rubber shock mounts...you need to actually bend the metal rods to make it hang right.

Edit...just looked at the pic (sorry was busy earlier) you could have a bent pipe...in which case the muffler guy approach is recommended.
thanks doug, think I'll take it to the muffler guys then and get it done right. don't want to mess anything up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts