The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 2015 nissan altima with on 21,123 miles and every time I depress the peddle and push the start button the car won't kick over. I can hear the car trying to start up but the engine doesn't kick over. Ive read that it could be a sensor in the peddle. What do y'all think might be the problem?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Flat battery is my #1 guess. Will it start if you get a jump start?

·
Registered
243 Posts
This happen to me before, nissan replace the battery with a new one for free. Think it was at ~20k miles too. I had free towing but instead just got a jump from a friend and went straight into the nissan dealer.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Yeah I would first test the battery. Places like AutoZone and Discount Auto Parts do a test for free. Not sure if a battery would be under warranty at a Nissan dealership.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ok i have a 2015 nissan altima with on 21,123 miles and every time I depress the peddle and push the start button the car won't kick over. I can hear the car trying to start up but the engine doesn't kick over. Ive read that it could be a sensor in the peddle. What do y'all think might be the problem?
Similar thing happened to me like a month ago where when I push the ignition button the car would try multiple times to start and could not.

After having it towed to my nissan dealership I got a call back saying that it was the Fuel Pump! My car is a 2014 with oh 18k miles on it.

And according to my dealership was only the 2nd altima on the national record to have the pump go bad. I was told that the pump is chrome plated an a piece of the chrome may have flaked off and blocked the filter.

Either way it was replaced under warranty and car starts fine now every time. Just something random to consider. Good luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Have you tried starting it with your foot on the gas? Ours was stuttering/sputtering once, and that did the trick. Hold it to the floor and press the button.

·
Hal in Va near D.C.
147 Posts
My no start was due to very hard brake pedal after resting a few hours.
I needed to press really hard on brake to get it to start

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses I got it towed last night and it is at the shop right now so hopefully I can get it fixed today

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shop called and said that everything is working fine and that since they couldn't find anything wrong i gotta come out the pocket $125 unless it happens again by the time I come and pick it up tomorrow

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Shop called and said that everything is working fine and that since they couldn't find anything wrong i gotta come out the pocket $125 unless it happens again by the time I come and pick it up tomorrow
@ 21k miles, you're under warranty... why are you paying anything? Unless you took it to an independent shop and not a Nissan Dealership.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If this is the dealership you need to dispute the charge with customer care. The computer on the car should have a record of a failed start I would think. If you took it to an independent shop you're SOL.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If this is the dealership you need to dispute the charge with customer care. The computer on the car should have a record of a failed start I would think. If you took it to an independent shop you're SOL.
the car wont save any freeze frame data unless a fault code was generated.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What do you base your assumption on? This car has a push button start why wouldn't it be recording failure to start as a trouble code?

·
Registered
591 Posts
What do you base your assumption on? This car has a push button start why wouldn't it be recording failure to start as a trouble code?
failure to start does not always set a trouble code. let's say your car is out of gas and it wont start, it wont set a fault code in the computer and yes there have been instances were the fuel gauge read wrong especially on the nissan frontier/xterra/titan/armadas. a faulty brake switch will cause a car not to start with the push button system which also does not set a fault code. on the 07-12 altimas that had the infamous faulty steering lock actuator malfunction which caused a no start also did not set fault codes. when the first batches of faulty steering lock cars came in, we had to plug in the nissan consult and monitor a list of switches and actuators and see what they were doing when we tried to start the car before figuring out it was a steering lock. a faulty brake booster which caused the brake switch not to illuminate caused a no start. ive been through the paces working at a nissan dealer. there isnt a fault code for every problem, it's not that simple. it's a simple fault code in the car's computer telling you exactly what the problem is. if it was that simple, there would be no need for mechanics, everyone would be able to fix a car

·
Registered
286 Posts
failure to start does not always set a trouble code. let's say your car is out of gas and it wont start, it wont set a fault code in the computer and yes there have been instances were the fuel gauge read wrong especially on the nissan frontier/xterra/titan/armadas. a faulty brake switch will cause a car not to start with the push button system which also does not set a fault code. on the 07-12 altimas that had the infamous faulty steering lock actuator malfunction which caused a no start also did not set fault codes. when the first batches of faulty steering lock cars came in, we had to plug in the nissan consult and monitor a list of switches and actuators and see what they were doing when we tried to start the car before figuring out it was a steering lock. a faulty brake booster which caused the brake switch not to illuminate caused a no start. ive been through the paces working at a nissan dealer. there isnt a fault code for every problem, it's not that simple. it's a simple fault code in the car's computer telling you exactly what the problem is. if it was that simple, there would be no need for mechanics, everyone would be able to fix a car
First off I've been working on cars for almost 20 years so I know what I'm talking about. The OP described a car that cranked and cranked but didn't catch, that may be a no fuel situation but seeing as how the shop started it I can eliminate that possibility. As far as actuators, neutral safety, or anything along those line the car will not try to crank so none of that has anything to do with this issue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
In 2004 I had a 2003 Buick Century with 18000 miles that had a mystery problem. I spent about 6 months in the shop attached to an OBD 2 getting to the root of the problem with my neighbor who ran the dealership service department and his neighbor who was a tech there. They were able to tell that I had done 6000 rpms at 30 miles an hour a month before I had been to the shop. If that 2003 Buick ECM computer collected that much data I would just bet that a 2015 Nissan is able to collect data too. And your check engine light does not have to come on for that data to be there and be readable.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
In this day and age...your ECM is smart enough to tell you what you want to hear (VW), or not tell you (Nissan CPS).

·
Registered
591 Posts
In 2004 I had a 2003 Buick Century with 18000 miles that had a mystery problem. I spent about 6 months in the shop attached to an OBD 2 getting to the root of the problem with my neighbor who ran the dealership service department and his neighbor who was a tech there. They were able to tell that I had done 6000 rpms at 30 miles an hour a month before I had been to the shop. If that 2003 Buick ECM computer collected that much data I would just bet that a 2015 Nissan is able to collect data too. And your check engine light does not have to come on for that data to be there and be readable.
you have to understand not every manufacturer follows the same system of storing information, while i understand you gave an example of how a General Motors car system does that, i know first hand nissan does not. maybe a nissan dts who can access to the so called "blackbox" can get some of those specific readings, but those reading are not accessible to a regular dealership employee or anyone outside the manufacturer/insurance/LEO. we are able to get freeze frame data from when the fault code was set or we can monitor live readings, but nissan diag software cannot pull readings from a month ago off the computer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts