The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
during cold days, 30-40 degrees, when engine is cold, loud grinding noise is heard when starting engine. Noise lasts about 2 sec upon engine ignate. My altima is 93 manual and I would like to get feedback whether this is starter problem or something else. Since car is ranning its 9th year, I am reluctant to spend $500+ before I now for sure what problem is.

Please reply if you experienced this.

Thanks,
Alex

·
donor cycle
8,475 Posts
could be flywheel, starter drive gear, or the starter just isn't disengaging in time...... might not be, but it's something to check out...

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
Probably just the starter , Nissans have had problems with starters ... And that is usually the first sign of problems , grindy noises when the starter is used , replace the starter , make sure the flywheel is checked also while the starter is out , but I would bet it is Ok ... my Moms 93 GXE has gone through 3 starters and the flywheel is still fine ....

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem in cold weather. It would make a grinding noise for 1-2 seconds after the startup. Got it replaced, never heard a sound since then

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ALtima Starter Grinding Noise

I don't keep the key in start position, I let it go as soon as the engine crancks. Based on postings from 95_XE and SHAWN seems it is starter problem (I assume when 95_XE said " got **it** replaced" he/she thinks the starter). As a matter of fact car died this morning, I turn key it is silent dead. I am waiting for the towing right now. If it is the starter went bad, seems it will cost me about $230 to replace it at Pep Boys.

I want to thank all of you for your quick response to my probem.

Alex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Starter Grinding Noise

I figured I can do it myself, but the problem is, the starter is at the bottom and it is accessable only if I get the car up or going under it, but not having good jack is my problem :(

Alex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Starter Grinding Noise

Just to thank everybody - I bought new starter, replace it and car is running fine now.

Thanks,
Alex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts