The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to simulate the Alty 2.5S 5spd performance in CarTest2000 Automotive Acceleration Simulation software since mags seem to only be interested in the 3.5. This simulation package is pretty accurate for the most part, but the databases aren't even updated yet so what I did was "make my own Alty" by starting from another car:

1) Start from the 2000 Maxima SE model
2) Dial in Alty weight and dimensions.
3) Enter in 2.5S/5m gear ratios and final drive ratio
4) Adjust engine HP/TQ specs and displacement
5) Couple of other things (tire sizes, drag coefficient, etc...)

Results: Simulated 2.5S 5spd

0-60 mph: high-7's
1/4 mile: high-15's @ 89 mph

That's pretty damned good for a 4-banger. That would be about dead even with my Accord V6/auto while the Alty would also be getting better fuel mileage.

Questions

1) What is the 2.5S's redline?
2) Does anyone have the gear ratio's for the auto tranny's?
3) Does anyone have a reliable source for the gear ratio's for both MT and AT?

There's an old post here that says the ratio's but I don't know if they're 100% accurate or not so I'm not sure. The reason I ask is because the Alty wouldn't quite pull 60 mph in 2nd gear with the ratio's I had. Normally manufacturers set the ratios so that 2nd gear can clear 60mph and avoid having another shift (couple tenths penalty) added into the 0-60 time. If 2nd can in fact clear 60 mph then the 0-60 time for the Alty 2.5S/5m would be low-7's in stead of high-7's.

Here's the ratio's I found/used:

1st: 3.416:1
2nd: 1.944:1
3rd: 1.258:1
4th: 0.947:1
5th: 0.772:1
Final: 4.133

Can someone verify / confirm these?

Steve

·
Altima Freak
221 Posts
I believe redline on the 2.5 is 6600. I don't know about the gear ratios. Someone here does have the Electronic Service Manual, which does have all the specs in it.

I wonder what 2nd gear goes up. How about 2.5 5 speed drivers?

·
Destroyer of Sidewalls
46 Posts
Redline is 6100, and the rev limiter kicks in right away. 2nd gear seems to top out somewhere around 58 or so (hard to say, I'm usually watching the tach), but given the optimism of the speedo, it's probably more like 55mph. I think given the power to weight ratio, the car would be capable of something like a 7.5 second 0-60, but having to shift to third to get to 60 would add a few tenths, so it's probably more like 7.7-7.8sec. Just guessing, though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Updated Numbers

Okay, it seems that the gear ratios are accurate then. With a redline of 6100 and the 2nd gear ratio set as is, CarTest2000 gives a max speed in 2nd of 55 mph. +3 mph speedo error for a 58 indicated sounds "ballpark" to me.

So that means that a shift to 3rd is now required to get to 60mph, but the bad news is that it also means a shift to 4th is required to get through the 1/4 mile.

Shift Points are: 31, 55, 86, 115.

Updated 2.5S/5m Performance Estimations

0-60 mph: 8.2s
1/4 mile: 16.03s @ 87.5 mph
Street Start (5-60 mph) (1st gear): 8.0s
30-50 mph passing (2nd gear): 2.7s
30-50 mph passing (3rd gear): 4.4s
50-70 mph passing (3rd gear): 4.4s
50-70 mph passing (4th gear): 6.35s

If these simulation results are accurate then that's EXCELLENT performance for a 4-cyl. The car would most likely beat my Accord V6 as the Alty has better passing times and street start numbers.

The bad thing is the gearing, though. With an extra shift required to get to both 60 mph and the 1/4 mile, the car won't do that well in any of the "magazine world" performance benchmarks, but the real world performance of it (what counts the most) is very very good :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there anybody even interested in the 2.5S/5spd ?? lol :D

I guess they're all going after the 3.5 (for good reason too). The 2.5/5spd is a sleeper :)

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
I thought your post was interesting. Given the power to weight, your numbers seem about right. For reference, Consumer Reports got 9.0 seconds 0-60 in a 2.5 auto. They don't brake torque so their numbers are usually higher than real car magazines.

·
Altima Freak
221 Posts
Ooops. You are right. I just checked the photos on my site. I looked in the PDF owner's manual and it showed 6600. That must be the V6?

autox02altima said:
Redline is 6100, and the rev limiter kicks in right away

·
Registered
79 Posts
altypaul said:
Ooops. You are right. I just checked the photos on my site. I looked in the PDF owner's manual and it showed 6600. That must be the V6?

nope, V6 redline is 6750. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts