The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Well here's my story. Have a 96 GXE and live in Maine where it's nice and COLD.

Alty has been running rough when I start her up for a couple months now. I just rev it up to 3K and she usually settles down to a nice normal pur. It does this rough start 90% of cold starts, and usually 50% on warm starts (after the car has been sitting for a while, but is still warm). This rough running only occurs for about 30 seconds to a minute. It really never does it while driving (once the intial roughness wears off).

So it's been a pain to deal with. Well this morning I went to pull out of a parking lot and it just died. No real shake or roughness just dead. It started right back up and I went about my business. Later in the day, I was going up a hill and it started running rough and irratic and just shut off dead. (it never did this before, usually only when first starting her up).

Unfortunately, she never did restart. I had to get it towed in.

Any ideas?

Water in the gas? Does this occur naturally in cold parts of the country?

Thanks guys.

·
1,373 Posts
Whe was the last time it had a tune up?

If it is water in the lines then the water is frozen cause of the temps and could be clogging up the gas lines....if you get her running again throw some gas line antifreeze in there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a full service dealer tune-up last summer... new everything.

Today was above freezing temps (40 degress or so) I wonder if that had something to do with this.

What if it's not water... what could it be?

·
1,373 Posts
Well im not sure what else it could be.....If there was water in the lines and it had been cold enough for a long enough period of time and the water was somewhat frozen then it all melted today then there would be too much water in the tank...thus causing the rough running......

It just seems to me that the engine is not getting the amount of fuel it needs.......maybe the injectors are clogged? It could be a number of things....sorry i cant help out more....but maybe others have ideas.

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
well guy, could be many things. but since you do live in maine it is very possible to have water freezing your gas lines. i live in ny and i put gas line anti freeze in my car about 4 months ago and just 2 weeks ago. but if its not that i would check the battery, its connections for corrosion, (had really bad corrosion on mine) if you have corrosion carefully disconnect the party and remove the pieces that connect the wire to battery and soak them in warm water with baking soda, repeat as need until clean. it could also be fuel pump/distributor/maf/air filter. or even something like the pcv valve which is a bitch on the alty. either way you shouldnt give up on the car. lets us know what happens.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it has plenty of battery power.... I tried cranking on it for over an hour (a few times every so many minutes not to burn up the starter).... I tried turning the ignition on and off (without starting it) to prime the fuel pump a few times. Still nothing. WHen I gave up it still had plenty of battery power.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NISSAN DEALER VERDICT: Distributor

DEALER COST FOR PART: $517.47 + LABOR

Thank god it's still under extended warranty coverage. (expires this month... yikes!!!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts