The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Knightshado said:
He was on his way home. I had him tow it to my place, we found a replacement saturday and started work on the car about 6pm and finished at 1:30am. worked non stop.

have a look.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Knightshado/
Ya not good not good at all. I heard a bang loud as a car reck I got lucky and costed into a parking spot. I located a tranny in the bronx junk yard we went to pick it up saterday around 4 got back to my Bro's place and we started work on the car finishing around 1230 , 1 am.

She's Back and she is Fast!!!!!

Love that Borg Warner BIg Bro thanks again!!

·
what is in a name?
2,731 Posts
shit looks crazy...damn!!!

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
wow that is nuts for it to just pop open like that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
waynehead05 said:
damn that's wierd. I threw a rod yesterday and i didn't hear anything untill i came to a complete stop.
ya i thought so also my brother and i swaped in that tranny when we did auto to manual conversion about a month ago i got it from a junk yard unknown miles and i did not know the condition of the car it came from it might of had some damage that we did not know about depends on what happend to the car it was in. I hope it dose not happen again! :D

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
there has been a lot of altimas having catastrophic failures this past week.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
dam that sucks. how in the world did you do that? my buddy beat the bag out of his tranny and all he did was mess up the clutch but deffinitly did not blow a hole that size in it. atleast you got it fixed

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
yeh the lovely seco clutch. lol never buy 1 . i made the mistake

·
!!Official Per4mance!!
305 Posts
wow, thats insane.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey has anyone here ever had a shop rebuild your tranny I'm asking because I dropped my big bros tranny this morning and took it to the shop to be rebuilt and was wondering how much to expect. I could not find another tranny in any of the junk yards in any of the 5 boro's of NY anyway just wondering.

chuck34gboro, I wish I could it would of saved me some cash lol.

And for the seco Clutch kit It was not bad but it seemed flimsy and it felt very sponge at first I liked it because this is my first 5 spd but after feeling the Borg Warner Clutch the seco seems really sh!ty.

As for the tranny I hope I don’t pop the one I’m using now!
:)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
^for rebuilding, i'm actually looking into buying a rebuild kit and doing it myself. hell, i built an engine and am now swapping an auto for a 5spd. it can't be much harder than that can it?

the question for me will be downtime. i miss driving the blue car alot and i'm starting to hate my dad's big ass bonneville. i may have to find a used one at a junk yard for pretty cheap.

kettnerc rebuilt his tranny, i may ask him how to do it.

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
Looks like you lost the spider gears and thrust bearings on the diff. This is probably due to high rpm clutch drops and low oil levels.

The trannies weakest link is the diff. When it goes, it GOES. That poor case is just cast aluminim so it just gives away like a wet paper sack when the hardened gears push on it.

Obviously the tranny was abused.

Randy

·
Boosting again!
1,897 Posts
RGAZ is correct. Your spider gears in the differential dislocated. That's usually cause by REALLY hard shifts or drops and little to no lubrication (low tranny fluid?). The previous owner may not have ever change the fluid or may have run it low and thus the damage was started while he/she was driving it. You just got to see the end result! :)

As for rebuilding the transmission, it's not that difficult if you are reasonably skilled. It's about the same difficult as a motor, but on a smaller scale. If anyone needs help (chuck), just let me know. I'd be more than happy to chat on the phone or whatever about it.

As for the comment about how lots of crazy catastrophic things are happening to Altimas lately, it's because we are all getting into crazier things. Remember like two years ago, only one or two people had ever done a swap. It was still a mystery to most people when I started mine. So many people said it can't be done, but some of us pioneers took the challenge and now everybody is going for it - and that's a good thing. Once we all become more competent in our vehicles and start to do more and more amazing mods, the support we receive from aftermarket companies and custom shops will grow. This can only lead to bigger and better things. Fred has already hit 350+ whp and there will be more of us within the next year. Can you imagine that one day not so far off, there may be many of us with 200+ whp? I think it'll be here sooner than we all think.

With that I say, happy modding!

·
Registered
20 Posts
kettnerc said:
As for rebuilding the transmission, it's not that difficult if you are reasonably skilled. It's about the same difficult as a motor, but on a smaller scale. If anyone needs help (chuck), just let me know. I'd be more than happy to chat on the phone or whatever about it.

Thanks Kett & Rgaz thanks for the good feed back.

Kett I was wondering did you need special tools for the rebuild I heard there a lot of diff tools to get for it what did you use. What about the press for the bearings what did you use to get them off and then back on?

Thanks again :)

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
kettnerc said:

As for the comment about how lots of crazy catastrophic things are happening to Altimas lately, it's because we are all getting into crazier things. Remember like two years ago, only one or two people had ever done a swap. It was still a mystery to most people when I started mine. So many people said it can't be done, but some of us pioneers took the challenge and now everybody is going for it - and that's a good thing. Once we all become more competent in our vehicles and start to do more and more amazing mods, the support we receive from aftermarket companies and custom shops will grow. This can only lead to bigger and better things. Fred has already hit 350+ whp and there will be more of us within the next year. Can you imagine that one day not so far off, there may be many of us with 200+ whp? I think it'll be here sooner than we all think.

With that I say, happy modding!
My far is pretty much fully modded except for a turbo. I made the comment because im in the same boat as a lot of others on here talking about blowing something on the motor or trans. I should have my new motor in tomrrow with 41K on it. i just thinks it weird that all these different cars are having this happen within 2 weeks of each other

1 - 20 of 28 Posts