The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted there amp to there deck lid, if so how do you like it? How hard was it and how is it working out for you if you have a custom subwoofer box below it. Pics would be very helpful as well

Registered
Back in my day, mounting an amp to the rear deck was discouraged because there was no room for the heat to escape. Heat rises, using through the heatsink (the top of the amp). If you mount the amp upside down on the deck, it prevents the heat from escaping.

Now, I haven't messed with car audio in about fifteen years, so technology may have changed since then.

Registered
Mounted my Alpine 500 to the deck lid ,just used tech screws , also easy to access ajustments that way .
Also did the same on my last altima.
The hard part is you kinda got to lay on your back when mounting to center correctly.
Depending on the size of your amp make sure the trunk tortion bars clear the amp
I have 2 10" subs in a closed box with a 500 watt alpine just enough for some hard base without straining the car electricly

2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
Has anyone mounted there amp to there deck lid, if so how do you like it? How hard was it and how is it working out for you if you have a custom subwoofer box below it. Pics would be very helpful as well
I put a powered sub in mine. Here are photos showing back and front view. I can fold down one side of the back seat to get to the controls.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ohhey/15574447219/in/dateposted-public/
Here is the back view
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ohhey/15140317104/in/dateposted-public/

I liked the "not too bright" sound of the factory speakers, they really have the perfect tone for me. It was just the low end that didn't sound full. A powered sub solved the problem for less than $200 installed.

The amp is inside the box mounted to the metal back plate and I haven't had any cooling issues even in the hot Texas summer. Seems to be designed to work in that location.

Registered
Wiring looks a bit messy in the pic, but you get the idea , currently im running the stock stereo so there is a line convertor for signal from the back speakers you see too
So this way you just pull the sub box and you have full use of your trunk to lower back seat if needed for hauling stuff

Registered
Hey calvin do you have any pics to share on your set up?
Posted a pic for you below if your planing on hooking up a sub to the Rosen car stereo it really rocks has good level and line ajustments in the headunit. Any thing over 500 watts your need to beef up the cars electronics or your lights will dim but @ 500 with 2 10s I have no issues

Registered
Good to have the fire extinguisher calvn.... My power wire from my line convertor rubbed a screw and grounded out, causing a fire in my trunk as i was pulling into my neighborhood. I did not have a fuse on the wire, therefore the wire caught fire. I smelled smoke in the cabin and started to race to my driveway to put out the fire in the trunk. I will be putting a fire extinguisher and smoke detector in my trunk soon.

Registered
After that story will recheck my wiring .
Amp is fuzzed at battery and no power to the line convertor
Hope the bass dont set off the extinguisher

Wiring looks a bit messy in the pic, but you get the idea , currently im running the stock stereo so there is a line convertor for signal from the back speakers you see too
So this way you just pull the sub box and you have full use of your trunk to lower back seat if needed for hauling stuff
:grin With the position of the box looks like the air from the subs will cool the amp a bit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@blue_storm i currently have a very similar set up as well. Its a 300 watt 10" powered sub by rockford fosgate. Also has a build in amp like yours except, my amp and controls are on the side of the box.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey calvin do you have any pics to share on your set up?
Posted a pic for you below if your planing on hooking up a sub to the Rosen car stereo it really rocks has good level and line ajustments in the headunit. Any thing over 500 watts your need to beef up the cars electronics or your lights will dim but @ 500 with 2 10s I have no issues

Yes thats just what im planing on doing, but im going for a full system upgrade, i currently have a 300 watt powered sub woofer in my trunk. Im going for a 4000 watt 6 channel amp, i also plan on upgrading my battery to an optima yellow top. For speakers im going with , 2x Car Audio 6.5-inch 2-way Coaxial Speakers w/ Polyethylene-Naphthalate Tweeters by Kicker, 2 DSC35 (41DSC354) 3-1/2" D-Series Coaxial 2-Way Car Speakers With 1/2" Tweeters by kicker, 2 Kicker DSC693 (41DSC6934) 6" x 9" Coaxial 3-Way Car Speaker With 1/2" Tweeter and 2 12" kicker sub woofer in a custom box.

Registered
In my 2010 altima I had a 1000watt sub with 2 12s closed box and a yellow top battery and it seriously straned the electrical system the hole car would dim when bass was hitting , had a capacitor too.
My mirrors would vibrate out of place every time I stoped

Premium Member
Drop a few fat bolts down your deck. Get a piece of wood and make a "shelve" for you amp to be mounted on. Hang that shelve on those bolts with washers/nuts/whatever. Adjust height.
Enjoy these benefits:

1. No heat issues as amps are mounted like they should be, not upside down.
2. Ease of reach.
3. Expansion possibilities if you ever decide to get more amps or a different amp.
4. You get get very creative with pretty show things like LEDs, logos or just make it very stealth and close to invisible.
5. Protection for your wires. Without a shelve they are all exposed to whatever bangs into them.

p.s. one CON here is that there will be a bit less cargo space with this.

Something like that:

Registered
Drop a few fat bolts down your deck. Get a piece of wood and make a "shelve" for you amp to be mounted on. Hang that shelve on those bolts with washers/nuts/whatever. Adjust height.
Enjoy these benefits:

1. No heat issues as amps are mounted like they should be, not upside down.
2. Ease of reach.
3. Expansion possibilities if you ever decide to get more amps or a different amp.
4. You get get very creative with pretty show things like LEDs, logos or just make it very stealth and close to invisible.
5. Protection for your wires. Without a shelve they are all exposed to whatever bangs into them.

p.s. one CON here is that there will be a bit less cargo space with this.

Something like that:

Sweet that would be the right way to do it.

Thanks.
And the Alpine amp has a remote bass knob that plugs in with a telephone 4 pin cord.
Placed it in the center arm rest right were your hand sets when driving for easy ajustment.
That's the one feature I wanted that didn't come with my sub. It took me a while but I now have it dialed in using the control on the sub box so "most" songs sound right. Still, it would be nice to be able to control it from the drivers seat. I guess with a little hacking I could add one, just need to extend the control with some shielded wire.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
This is the custom box im gonna be installing. Its made just for the altima. This way i ll be able to retain alot of my trunk space

1 - 20 of 23 Posts