The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some Rota Subzeros which is 18x7.5 with 48mm offset.
I heard the larger the offset, the more the rim will tuck in.
i'm quite worried that it will look very ugly/strange if the rim looks too tuck in plus i also feared the chance of rubbing the inside fender as well.

So there's 3 questions:
a) Is 48mm offset too tucked in?

b) What can i do to lower the offset, hence make it more tuck out? (wheel spacers?)

c) If wheel spacers work, will it have any disadvantage?

Thx alot for the help.:(

·
Cool, Calm, & Collective
184 Posts
From my readings are offset range is from 34 - 45 mm. I don't know what 3 mm will do to the look but it might affect handling characteristics. I'm guess it would change the camber also. Spacers might help though. Just my .02c

·
The Reverend
413 Posts
You bought sport compact car wheels. . . . ie. narrow width with huge offset.

Lets examine:

Start by converting the wheel width to mm.

7.5 --> 7.5*25.4 = 190.5mm

Divide that by 2.

190.5 / 2 = 95.25mm

So if you had 0 offset you would have 95.25mm of rim on each side of the mounting plane, but you have a +48mm offset (which is alot for a 7.5 wheel on the altima).

To get the amount of width on the front side you subtract 48 from 95.25. Which is 47.25mm. To get the amount of width on the back side you add the 48 to 95.25. Which is 143.25.

So you new rim will be 47.25mm from the mounting plane. Compare this to the OE wheels.

I am going to assume 17x7+45mm (I don't know this for sure, so correct me if I'm wrong). If we do the same calculations we come out with 43.9mm of width on the front and 133.9mm on the back side. This would indicated that your wheels will stick out 3.35mm more. . . or ~1/8" more.

Whats the stock rim size?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BryanPendleton said:

Lets examine:

Divide that by 2.

190.5 / 2 = 95.25mm

So if you had 0 offset you would have 95.25mm of rim on each side of the mounting plane, but you have a +48mm offset (which is alot for a 7.5 wheel on the altima).

To get the amount of width on the front side you subtract 48 from 95.25. Which is 47.25mm. To get the amount of width on the back side you add the 48 to 95.25. Which is 143.25.

So you new rim will be 47.25mm from the mounting plane. Compare this to the OE wheels.

I am going to assume 17x7+45mm (I don't know this for sure, so correct me if I'm wrong). If we do the same calculations we come out with 43.9mm of width on the front and 133.9mm on the back side. This would indicated that your wheels will stick out 3.35mm more. . . or ~1/8" more.

Stick out? or stick in? Stick out would be fine.

·
The Reverend
413 Posts
taichi said:
Stick out? or stick in? Stick out would be fine.
Just like I said. . . "stick out" This is relative to the position of the OE rim, NOT the fender lip. In other words, I am NOT saying the rim will stick out past the fender by 3.35mm, but that the new wheel will stick out 3.35mm further than the stock wheel.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if it sticks out further, closer to the fender lip, then that's cool...
but i heard the bigger the offset#, the further apart from the fender?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
BryanPendleton said:
but that the new wheel will stick out 3.35mm further than the stock wheel.
Which is really insignificant considering mine "sticks out"
20mm further and makes for a great flush tuck.

Those Rota's with a +48et are going to look pretty
sucked in compared to mine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do u think i should use a wheel spacer to push out?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
taichi said:
Do u think i should use a wheel spacer to push out?
I've never been a big fan of spacers, that's why
I do my homework before buying wheels.

Try doing a pre-fit before you decide to go with
the spacers. Who knows, maybe you'll like
the fit.

·
$11K til Pink Slip!
632 Posts
BryanPendleton said:

Lets examine:

Divide that by 2.

190.5 / 2 = 95.25mm

Whoa! BryanPendleton, that is some helpful stuff here! I mean, it's amazing how its so simple, once you see it mathematically. I love you man! Thanks!

·
Merry Christmas!
611 Posts
Good info here guys, so would a better choice have been the 45mm offset?

hope everything works okay taichi... really looking forward to see those wheels on your car...

·
Registered
938 Posts
The wheel may stick out more because of the 1/2 inch bigger width over stock but it will aslo stick in more, subract the 3mm difference from 1/2 inch. What I would be concerned with is the tire rubbing on the strut housing. It will probably be ok, ket us know how it works out!

·
Registered
938 Posts
It will fit, sorry for scaring you on the last post, people are getting 1inch wider wheels (8.5) to clear the struts with simular backspacing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thx for the info guys, i think i won't really know how things work out unless i put on the rims this weekend when they arrives.
I'll take pics, and post it up, let u guys update~:)

·
The Reverend
413 Posts
What I have been trying to do for the last several weeks is document people wheel installations. The two largest fits I have seen are 8.5+44 and 8.5+45. If we do the calculations this will tell us what we can tolerate as far as wheel-to-strut clearance and wheel-to-fender clearance.

8.5+44 yields 151.95mm on back and 63.95mm on front
8.5+45 yields 152.95mm on back and 62.95mm on front

What does this tell us. To date the largest front spacing I have documented is 63.95mm and the largest back clearance is 152.95mm. So as long as the wheel you are considering fits within these two numbers you should be fine.

Note: that these numbers do not consider tire size, rim design and manufacturing variances. Nor does it consider the camber of the wheels. Negative camber will buy you fender-to-wheel clearance, but cost you strut-to-wheel clearance, and vice versa. So the above number are not set in stone, but guidelines.

·
The Reverend
413 Posts
For grins lets analyze the acceptable offsets for a 7.5" wide wheel based on my "limits" I established above.

7.5x25.4=190.5mm
190.5/2=95.25mm

I said the largest front spacing would be 63.95mm, so lets subtract 63.95 from 95.25. 31.3mm

I said the largest rear spacing would be 152.95mm, so lets subtract 95.25 from 152.95. 57.7mm

so the acceptable offsets for a 7.5 wide wheel are about 31mm to 57mm. Off coarse we would not want a 57mm offset, as the wheels would be too "tucked" in the wheel wells.

You can do a similar analysis with any size wheel.

Enjoy,

·
The Reverend
413 Posts
pimpin'alty said:
what do you mean by tuck in or tuck out, anyone got any pics?
*shrug* I am not sure how else to explain it. Where you want your wheel front or tire front to be positioned is personal preference. Most people like a nice "flush" look when looking down the side of the car. I believe the following gentlemen have accomplished this very well:

http://www.altimas.net/registry/vehicles.php?vehicleid=1016
19X8.5+44mm

http://www.altimas.net/registry/vehicles.php?vehicleid=622
19x8.5+45mm

Now they are running 8.5" wide wheels, but you could very easily match the "flushness" with a 8", 7.5" or 7" or any size as long as the offset if right. If you look at the above gentlemens setups they have a front spacing of about ~63mm (see calculations above). The OEM 17" wheels have a front spacing of ~44mm. So if you "dial in" a front spacing of 44m then your wheels will sit in the wheel well just like the OE's. I would not run anything less than 44mm front spacing, as the wheels will look too "tuck in" or "sunk into the well". As you increase this front spacing (by decreasing the offset) you "pull" the wheel out of the well. You don't want anything higher than ~63mm or you risk interfering with the fender.

Here would be my recommendations for offsets on the following wheel widths for a nice flush look (wheel moved 10-20mm closer to fender than OE 17" wheels) (does not matter what the rim diameter is)

7" - 28-36mm offset
7.5" - 33-42mm offset
8" - 38-48mm offset
8.5" - 44-45mm offset

Use at your own risk. Keep in mind that this is based on a limited data collection. I cannot accept responsibility for any fitment problems you may occur by following these guidlines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great advice Bryan. I recently fitted in 17x7.5 wheels to better accomodate the Michelin Pilot A/S tires 235x50x17 tires I had got and which were ballooning out from the OE wheels. I live in Toronto and unfortunately did not have access to a large number of wheel options. First tried on a set of 17x8 wheels with a +34 mm offset and sure enough, the left rear tire rubbed on the fender, with 4x200lb persons sitting inside. So took those off. The shop unfortunately did not have a higher offset in that size and so I went for the 17x7.5s with a +40mm offset, and they have that nice flush look. The wheels are 11-12mm 'out' compared to the OE specs and they look just great without giving that low wide muscle car look.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts