The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are priced to sell at $35! They can be ordered here. The description says it all:
  • Increase Horse Power & Torque
  • Enhance ECU Efficiency / Engine Performance
  • Stronger & Faster Starts
  • Smoother Idle
  • More Responsive Acceleration
This is a four wire 4 gauge grounding kit designed specifically for the 3.5 Nissan Altima. Because these are ground wires, we chose to offer this kit only in black. We also follow a different philosophy than typical grounding kits, in that every wire does not snake back to the negative terminal of the battery and onto a large cumbersome distribution block or disc.

One cable runs from the negative terminal of the battery and to the chassis, two run from the engine to the chassis, and one from the transmission to the chassis. The runs are short and direct to keep the installation clean, simple, and problem-free.

We use extra-heavy 4 gauge 100% fine stranded oxygen-free copper cable with die-crimped ends covered with a black heat shrink tubing. This kit includes the necessary bolts and nuts andis recommended for use with aftermarket intakes.
More info and ordering can be done here:

http://www.activetuning.com/products/atpid9

·
Administrator
4,411 Posts
Dave, sorry for the newb question...but can you (or anyone else) please explain how a $35 grounding kit can render the following benefits:

Increase Horse Power & Torque

Enhance ECU Efficiency / Engine Performance

Stronger & Faster Starts

Smoother Idle

More Responsive Acceleration

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
CHP4LiFe said:
Dave, sorry for the newb question...but can you (or anyone else) please explain how a $35 grounding kit can render the following benefits:

Increase Horse Power & Torque

Enhance ECU Efficiency / Engine Performance

Stronger & Faster Starts

Smoother Idle

More Responsive Acceleration
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0401cae_hyper/index.html

http://www.sunautomobile.com/

And from another forum:

RE Grounding on digital systems

When an electronic system uses digital logic, it relies on Boolean Algebra to "branch" electronic flow based on the laws of Logic. The short answer is that the path to ground is switched rapidly to control electron flow within the circuit.

When there are various paths to ground, a "Ground Loop" or "Feedback Loop" situation is created. In this situation, a signal seeking a path to ground may travel hundreds of miles within a second of time seeking a path to ground to dissipate.

For this reason, it is crucial for all digital circuits within a subsystem (Car) reference the same ground. Different ground paths create a "difference in ground potential" in which the signal's ground is reached at different times. In the case of the Cruiser, with all the different controllers that are networked to the PCM, precise grounding is crucial; anything added into that networked system (read accessoires: fuel management, engine control, audio, etc.) must reference the same ground used by the network. You will find an entire witring "Bay" at the PCM dedicated to ground for this very reason.

Toasters and hair dryers don't rely on critical ground paths. Digital systems depend on a Precise Ground Path (note the non-plural spelling; as in one path to ground).

To get more perspective, talk to someone who does computer networking; specifically UNIX networking via Serial links. If they are worth their salt, they can elaborate (at length) on the need for precise grounding where digital sugnal paths are concerned.

The very short answer: Enhanced Grounding (properly done) can only improve performance, reliability and consistency.

Given that reply, also consider that there is nothing available to the general public that cannot be improperly used, improperly installed, or manufactured from cheaper components to cater to a market share that considers price only as criteria for purchase.

If you do decide to enhance the grounding system, do it properly with quality components using high quality connections and terminating hardware. (This is where the snake oil determination process comes in.)

·
35 ALTIMATIC
519 Posts
Taken from Nissan Performance Mag...

All electrical circuits consist of a source and a ground. The chassis is the ground for cars and all electrical circuits are tied to it. Engine performance relies on how well electronic components are connected. OEM systems are adequate for the job but use small gauge wiring which over time, tends to deteriorate. Grounding kits are meant to guarantee a clean ground to the battery and a better electrical circuit, letting sensors and electronics operate quicker and without as much resistance or noise. Much like when your speakers have interference and are static sounding, the culprit is usually a bad ground. Good grounds are important but are the kits worth the money? If you’re car or electrical experience still includes handholding, it’s an alternative to DIY but with a crimper and bigger gauge wires, you could reground the wires yourself. I recommend using 4 gauge, high audio grade 1666 strand count, 99.99% oxygen free copper wire for the best conductivity. It doesn’t need to be a shielded wire since it doesn’t carry a signal. Newer engines probably don’t need to be re-grounded as their connections have not likely deteriorated. The world rally championship cars use grounding kits and they typically have more advanced electronics where it is most important to have the least amount of impedance in the circuit for accurate and efficient sensoring.

Hope that helps. :)

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
I'm as skeptical as anyone and I noticed a difference when I installed mine over a year ago. A local 3.5 owner drove only 6 blocks to a convenience store and back immediately after we installed his set tonight and he said the car felt smoother and popped back less through the exhaust when decelerating. If you already have a grounding kit on your car post up and let everybody know what you think !

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
If these were blue wires, I'd be all over them.
If these sell OK maybe I'll add some more colors soon. Red is out of the question though so don't ask. I refuse to sell red ground wires!! :)

·
35 ALTIMATIC
519 Posts
Altimat said:
If these sell OK maybe I'll add some more colors soon. Red is out of the question though so don't ask. I refuse to sell red ground wires!! :)
lol I know where you're coming from with that! ;)

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,218 Posts
Will it make my transmission shift harder:p

Nice product at a great price!!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
sorry for the other newb question in advance....why no red? Because it usually denotes a negative terminal?

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
panteedropper said:
sorry for the other newb question in advance....why no red? Because it usually denotes a negative terminal?
No because red is positive. So if some monkey at Sears replaced your battery he might hook your grounds to +12V and make a big mess.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts