The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While washing my car last weekend, I noticed that, as has been mentioned here, I'm already getting way too many small chips in my hood. The car only has 6500 miles on it, and that's pretty much unnaceptable. I know it's a black car, and I expect to have some visible chips in it, but at this rate, there will be more unpainted area there than paint within the first year.

My question is, has anyone complained to a dealership about this and had something done about it? Paint is supposed to stay on the car.

·
Switched to a Maxima
200 Posts
I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about that. My father has a black 2003 altima and his is the same way he has 30K on it and the front end looks all chipped up from bugs and rocks. He covered it with touch-up paint but it's still noticable in some areas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
same problem here on the emerald green. altough im taking it back to the dealer today because I have found out that body work has been done to the hood. According to the bodyshops Ive talked to its the worst paint they have ever seen.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Nissan's paint quality on a scale of 0-10 = -2

You can always get a bra, but bras are a pain in the a$$, they trap dust so you have to take it them off every week and clean'em.

Bras most often flop when you speed, very irritating, and inorder to make sure they dont you have to put it on real tight and you'll end up with marks along the edges.

After a while you'll notice a paint difference between the area covered and the rest of the hood, not good.

You can go with an invisible 3M bra, protects like a regular bra, but almost invisible, and u never have to take it off, but very expensive.

You can also get the hood repainted and double clear coated making it stronger against chips.

Nissan dealers know all about that i'm sure and if you're lucky they'll tell you they'll touch it up for ya, If you're lucky but they're not going to offer to paint it, i doubt that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheDesertFox1942 said:

You can go with an invisible 3M bra, protects like a regular bra, but almost invisible, and u never have to take it off, but very expensive.

You can also get the hood repainted and double clear coated making it stronger against chips.

Nissan dealers know all about that i'm sure and if you're lucky they'll tell you they'll touch it up for ya, If you're lucky but they're not going to offer to paint it, i doubt that.
I have thought about the 3M bra. But the expense is an issue. I'm not expecting them to repaint it It would be nice, but I'm sure I'll just get the "All black cars have this problem" line.

The plan is to basically just go in and complain until the offer to do something. It's just really burns my ass that it looks like this so soon. Maybe after a solid year, but 3 months is regoddamndiculous.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DesiEGO said:
Nothing they can do, get a clear 3m bra or something.
The thing is, is that the damage is already there. So just covering it up with the clear bra doesn't really solve the current problem, it only prevents future chips.

Ultmately, I would like them to either repaint or replace the hood (ya right!) and then I would suck it up and get the Clear bra. But, even if they could touch it up and then I could cover it, I'd be happy.

·
Switched to a Maxima
200 Posts
i doubt they would do something like that. If i were you just touch up paint it. Buff it out with wax and put the 3M bra. There aint much to do unless your willing to spring for the new paint job. The dealer won't do jack .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not take it to a body shop and have them fix up the front and add extra coats of clear?
This will be my most likely outcome, but I figure why not at least try the dealership first.

After my purchase, I got a letter from the service dept of the dealership. The letter was to welcome me blah, blah, and it said basically that they would bend over backwards to ensure my complete satisfaction with them and with the car. I have that letter in my glove box, and will show it to them if they ever give me a hard time.

Keep in mind, that I really don't expect anything from them. Gotta give it a shot though. I'm just looking at the paint as if it were any other part of the car. In my opinion, it's defective. If there were other parts that were defective, they would hopefully be addressed. That's all I'm thinkning.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yea, I have a black 03 alti and it is sickening how air can scratch my car up from driving through it. Lots of rock chips on the hood and embedded bugs in the front bumper too. It has got me thinking about getting the whole car painted again or just getting rid of the car. If I didn't get as much compliments as I do it would be gone now.

·
Bad Boys are Back!!!
12,088 Posts
J Schmoe said:
The thing is, is that the damage is already there. So just covering it up with the clear bra doesn't really solve the current problem, it only prevents future chips.

Ultmately, I would like them to either repaint or replace the hood (ya right!) and then I would suck it up and get the Clear bra. But, even if they could touch it up and then I could cover it, I'd be happy.
I understand but body paint caused due to ships is not civered under warranty for not only Nissan but any other manufacturer. I know now they do it for a reason.........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
540 Posts
If its that bad i'd just get the whole car repainted a gunmetal color it wont be as noticable i have a black 05 havent noticed any thing yet, my parents black o4 TL has chips and stuff too I think its just a part of having a car you cant avoid it.

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
I just got through polishing my smoke and when looking at the front bumper I was horrified. So many chips and dings from my daily commute into boston. Its to the point that I don't even bother really washing of polishing the front cause it will look like sheer crap no matter what I do. I figure i will get it repainted after I graduate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DJKhan85 said:
I just got through polishing my smoke and when looking at the front bumper I was horrified. So many chips and dings from my daily commute into boston. Its to the point that I don't even bother really washing of polishing the front cause it will look like sheer crap no matter what I do. I figure i will get it repainted after I graduate.
That's where most of my chips and scratches are from too. Rt. 93 is a bitch AM or PM.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well, if there is a positive side to it, at least the friggin hood is aluminum and won't allow it from rusting. But the worst side of it is SO WHAT IT'S ALUMINUM - IT LOOKS LIKE SH#T and we still have to get the f#ckin hood painted.
My car is black and the chips stands out white. You touch it up and it looks like the messles and it does'nt matter how good of a job you do. It's touch up paint!!
Hey, how about the bumper. It's got more chips the the hood. My 93 Mazda 626 (before it got totalled) was 1000% spot free from chips or dings. My 2000 Maxima has very few chip and it's 4-5 years old. Nissan's paint SUCKS. We all now that. But frustration will get the best of us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts