The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Since it's the season for ice and snow, my (as I'm sure others as well) antenna is constantly getting "frozen" down, and will not move. I'm wondering if there is some sort of internal device which stops the antenna from trying to raise itself after a certain amount of time? If not, if the motor is constantly trying to raise it, will it cause damage to the motor/antenna in the long run?

basically, will a frozen antenna cause the motor to burn out? Or does it stop itself after a certain amount of time?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Either it will burn out or the plastic gear part will break or strip. You can probably unplug the motor for now so that it doesn't run at all.

Others have also metioned that if you lube the mast it will work better. Try WD-40 or some lithium grease (?)

·
o werd
2,688 Posts
i got the same prob, but i think my shit got bent too. you can hear when the motor is trying to raise it up or down and it's not running when it stops

·
Registered Member
175 Posts
On almost Every first gen i've ever seen the antenna has malfunctioned. Mine used to work but of course like most others mine too messed up. I'm just gonna shave it. IMO antenna look kinda tacky anyhow.

·
VTEC V6
211 Posts
Mine never fails... I live in GA, so it never freezes. Works perfectly.

·
Speed Ricer
1,198 Posts
never had a problem with mine not going up, but i also mainly listen to cd's and my alpine doesnt raise the antenna when u play cd's. if i do listen to the radio and its hella cold out it just doesnt go down all the way the first time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
So far mine is fine , w/ I usually do , it might sound cheesy , but I usually bring a bottle of hot h2o in the morning and just pour it on the ice developing around the antenna and key area and I usually get result's .

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[email][email protected][/email] said:
So far mine is fine , w/ I usually do , it might sound cheesy , but I usually bring a bottle of hot h2o in the morning and just pour it on the ice developing around the antenna and key area and I usually get result's .
good idea...I'll have to try that

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
that will develop rust on the inside of your locks, dont do that. just buy that product that unfreezes the locks on car doors. i think its called like free-lok or some shit

·
Nissan Chick
166 Posts
Any water that gets in your locks can eventually rust, it just depends on the environment your alty's in. If you live where it snows it is likely to rust as the water is staying in your locks and antenna, but if you live in a warm place the water eventually decipatates and your locks are like normal. Pouring water ocassionaly on your antenna won't hurt it. But if alot of water builds up in your locks and antenna you could have problems down the road.

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
lived in Maryland when I owned my first gen and never had any probs with the antenna.

Also, You should never pour water anywhere on your car (with exception of when you are washing the exterior:p). If you are going to pour something, use alcohol. It evaporates alot quicker.

·
L4D2 Rage!
1,818 Posts
Okay my antenna just went bad yesterday, this weird noise starts going on, and at first i had to actually push the antenna down alittle and it will go by it self, but after a while that didnt work , is there any way you can fix this problem besides buying a new one.

·
Glowin' Authority
253 Posts
YokoShima said:
Also, You should never pour water anywhere on your car (with exception of when you are washing the exterior:p). If you are going to pour something, use alcohol. It evaporates alot quicker. [/B]
Not for nothing but will alcohol not hurt your paint/wax? I always thought that was a bad idea...

Also my intenna quit working because it somehow got bent...im probably gonna get yelled at for saying this, but is there a post on how to replace the intenna?

·
1st Gen SE Lover
2,520 Posts
I've never had a problem with my antenna, but I also never let it go up when I'm driving fast so it won't get bent or be under too much stress.

It's worked so far.

Replacing it isn't too bad from what I've read in the FSM. I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere.

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
vaglow said:
Not for nothing but will alcohol not hurt your paint/wax? I always thought that was a bad idea...

Also my intenna quit working because it somehow got bent...im probably gonna get yelled at for saying this, but is there a post on how to replace the intenna?
Alcohol won't hurt your paint. It's not strong enough plus it evaporates rather quickly so it's not there long enough to cause any damage.

Pick up a Haynes maunual. Really handy to have, and it'll walk you through on how to replace the antenna.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts