The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for another anti-virus thread. I need to load anti-virus software on my new laptop. I've been using Free AVG for a while now. Anything out there better? I'm even willing to pay a little $$ if the software is worth it.

Recommendations?

·
VQ Powered Grocery Getter
1,581 Posts
I've always had luck with oem Norton Antivirus.
It's cheaper than the box store price and most computer shops sell it.
Doesn't seem to steal the system resources like other programs.
Sometimes to update other software i disable it for 15 minutes to prevent any conflicts.
Also run Microsoft Security Essentials as backup. Program seems good and it's free.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
AVG has become a little bloated since previous versions, but I haven't found anything worthy to replace it with. It's still faster and less annoying than Avast in slower machines and there's no way in hell I will ever willingly move to any of the paid alternatives.

·
that was dumb.
2,336 Posts
my laptop came with mcafee for 2 years. I installed firefox beta 4 like 2 weeks ago. deleted it a few days ago. something went wrong after I deleted it, mcafee wouldnt let firefox open because of script errors. put another version of mcaffee on, still didn't work, ended up causing the computer to pretty much not be functional because a google updater file was corrupt.

had to do a full system restore, lost everything. my moms a network administrator and she said she's never seen anything like it.

·
It is what it is
1,097 Posts
I've always had luck with oem Norton Antivirus.
It's cheaper than the box store price and most computer shops sell it.
Doesn't seem to steal the system resources like other programs.
Sometimes to update other software i disable it for 15 minutes to prevent any conflicts.
Also run Microsoft Security Essentials as backup. Program seems good and it's free.
Use MSE on all my builds and for anything I build for other people. Low resource use, works extremely well, and FREE as long as your copy of Windows is legit :D

·
Common sense advocate
2,313 Posts
Another vote for Avast, even the free version. I have it on 4 computers in my house. No problems at all, it updates daily in an unobtrusive way, and doesn't bog your system down like Norton. I set it up on my neighbor's computer too and they really like it.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,236 Posts
Have Norton....Works great..However...I believe it slows my computer terribly. It takes for ever to boot up......

·
Administrator
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had both McAfee and Norton in the past - definitely won't use them ever again. I agree with AVG becoming bloated over the years, at least the free version. I checked out Avast and it looks great, but is it worth spending $60? The free version looks comparable to the AVG free version(?) I also checked out MSE and it looks good too. Can it be used as primary protection, or should it be used to supplement another anti-virus program?

Anyone know of an unbiased site that does a good comparison on different anti-virus software?

·
Semi-Clean
741 Posts
Don't go with Norton, AVG, Avast, McAfee or any of that crap. I know you can't really rely on advice for me, but go with ESET Smart Security 4. It's $60, but it's worth it. It's light, even when scanning, and isn't nearly as 'stupid' as other virus detectors. I strongly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
avg is useless now, then again it always has been for me. Avira is by far the best, catches everything before it enters the computer, especially trojans which are more common.

·
Registered
201 Posts
another vote for ESET. it's extremely smart if you're not exactly an advanced or power user.

I voted COMODO if you are. I've used both. COMODO is very needy until it's properly trained on your machine. I got tired of it after a fresh install of 7 and have been recently considering trying to use it with ESET but Idk. ESET doesn't really play well with others...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've had both McAfee and Norton in the past - definitely won't use them ever again. I agree with AVG becoming bloated over the years, at least the free version. I checked out Avast and it looks great, but is it worth spending $60? The free version looks comparable to the AVG free version(?) I also checked out MSE and it looks good too. Can it be used as primary protection, or should it be used to supplement another anti-virus program?

Anyone know of an unbiased site that does a good comparison on different anti-virus software?
$60 is for 3 licenses or one with 3years of protection.

Do what I did if you're interested, download the 30days free trial and wait until its almost time to buy or move on and they'll offer you a deal.
I got 3 licenses for 29bucks, used two on my desktop and laptop and gave away the 3rd.
There is a feature called the sandbox that allows you to go into any website without worrying about getting infected.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts