The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BUCK FUTTER
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was heading towards sq.1 to hit the gym when all of the sudden all the interior lights went dim, ABS light went on, and deck kept turning on and off. At the time I had the lights, fog lights, rear defroster, heater and the deck going. Crap. I've been hearing this "howling" noise coming from my car, but thought nothing of it. I mean, that just adds to the list of wierd noises my car makes anyway. I'm thinking the alternator is going cuz I had to keep revving to keep it alive. I shut off all of the electronics other than my main headlights all the way back home, and it didn't seem to give me any more problems... interior lights are still kinda dim unless I rev. Should I get the alternator replaced? I'd rather not have the car die on me on the way to school... Opinions? I'm probably gonna try my hand at changing it myself. Any tips?

·
*Donating Member* Senior Member
3,664 Posts
your going to have to get it replaced it soon anyways by the sound of things...better to be safe than sorry...I dont think you want your car to die on the road in the cold climate we had last week....just replace it now and you save money on having it towed....now you have the chance to go to a couple of shops and get estimates of what they will charge and plan for the repair instead of having it hit you in the face.

GL

·
Banned
2,096 Posts
possibility but i don't think it would cause multiple surges in the harness's like he kinda described...
good idea though
hope it is that problem lol hella lot cheaper

·
BUCK FUTTER
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blah. I just changed the battery less than a year ago, I certainly HOPE its not the battery again. From the howling and dim lights, i'm pretty sure its the alternator. The other thing... There are actually other ppl who report the same thing that happens to my car: a really annoying rattling noise... timing chain apparently?

·
<for hire>
2,769 Posts
my car rattles daily. it's the timing chain against the guide... apparently was a recall at one point, but oh well. As long as she keeps running, I'm okay. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts