The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw it on the street while I was behind these 2 beasts with my modest family sedan. The 350z got dusted! simple.....

Now when you think of it, why does a 290hp car with like a measly 220torq do high high 12s-low mid13s.. when a car with 3less hp and more torque nevermind not getting BETTER times, or even break in the HIGH 13s easily.......but usually average low mid 14s.... just like how the NSX would average low mid 13s, with the occasion high 12s.....

same with the modena with about the same torq as the 350z, VS a 400torq monster z06... similiar HP... both can result a low mid 12.....

besides those cars costing more and maybe had better engineered ways to do so?

NSX-350z
modena-zo6 vette

·
Registered
655 Posts
not sure where you are pulling high 12 to low 13's for NSX's cause i see them @ high 13's consistantly.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
i never heard of a stock nsx pulling 12s. i thought most were in mid 13s at the lowest

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I've personally never seen a high 12sec nsx nor a high 13sec 350z either.. but I'm going to be more optmistic and say the POTENTIAL is there....

nevertheless..... the nsx I've seen pull 13.3-13.8s stock..... 350z I've only seen 14.2-14.5 stock.... at the track

basically im just wondering where is the 350z's power going if they are only low mid 14s usually, with the occasional high 13, when the average nsx is about a second.. or even HALF a second quicker, driven conservatively..... with a really well driver in the 12.9-13.0 range......same with the 350z, well driven would be 13.8 14.0

http://members.aol.com/jimmylucky/150.html

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/nissan_350zcoupe_track_2004/13870/style_performance.html

·
Registered
655 Posts
a nice time for a Z would be a 13.9- 14.0

a nice time for an NSX (pre 2002, most are) would be a 13.8 or .9

look them up. They have long powerbands but not alot of power to pull them through it.

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
Yeah all this talk about a 350z power and people saying its all that.... yet I've yet to see a fast one at the track...best time I've seen is a 14.0x on a 350z

All the power it makes, yet its only slightly faster( .2 of a sec in most cases it seems) then a stock 5 speed Altima?

BTW Finally saw a stock GTO run a 13.65 yesterday :) The car looks too bland for what it is, but sounds ferociously mean.

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
ok , i have a little news for you guys. ive seen a few 350's run high 13's and there is a 2003 N/A stock 350 z with timeslip posted at dragtimes . com that ran a 13.756 . look at the site .

next post i will see will be (must be a factory freak).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Someone should tell Z drivers their reality because they drive around like they own the road and are faster than they really are.

I had a Z driver behind me, yes, behind me at a left turn light. He was reving, so I took off normal, rounded the turn with him on my ass, put it in 2, let him get almost side by side, then gunned 21 PSI of boost on his ass. He was 6 or so cars back by about the 1/8th.

BTW, in the many times ar the track since the Z came out, I have yet to see a stock Z run better than a 14.0. Stock.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ exactly...... this guy in a Z looked at me like a fagg0t that my car is a complete nobody compared to his.... when we both are VQ brothers.... nevertheless I got just that one second reaction better than him at the light... he was at my fender and a bit back the whole time.......!!!

when it comes to efficency and power, I have to give it those those hondas....

I even posted the BEST 350z running like 13.7 13.8..... while the WORST NSX would run that time...... hmmmmmm

if all were proportional, the NSX is anywhere from .5-1.0 faster......

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nissan really should have separated the Z's performance from the 5 speed 3.5 Altima. They basically run identical times at the strip. The Z does handle better on a road course, but I feel the Z is too porky for a 2 seater coupe. It should have been a mid-low 13 sec car stock with about 325 to 350 HP.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I_hate_vegas said:
Someone should tell Z drivers their reality because they drive around like they own the road and are faster than they really are.

I had a Z driver behind me, yes, behind me at a left turn light. He was reving, so I took off normal, rounded the turn with him on my ass, put it in 2, let him get almost side by side, then gunned 21 PSI of boost on his ass. He was 6 or so cars back by about the 1/8th.

BTW, in the many times ar the track since the Z came out, I have yet to see a stock Z run better than a 14.0. Stock.
yeah i am going to have to agree with you VEGAS- they do think they own the road- that is why i owned a Z conv. last weekend- what a trip. I have never seen better than a 14.0X either for a Z stock. I normally see them run about 14.4's to 6's.

·
Long-term troll
282 Posts
NSX curb weight, 2985 lbs
Nissan 350Z, anywhere from 3150 to 3300 lbs

There is the answer.

·
Long-term troll
282 Posts
not really much of a difference between a high 13 and low 14 either ;)

Questionable theory: Maybe the NSX can get better traction and launch harder due to having the engine weight further back (mid-engine design).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ ye youre right, thats one of the main reasons I was thinking as well....where the engine is placed

lets just SAY NSX weighs about 200lbs less, but it still has like 54lbs less torque than the 350z... so it would even THAT out

look at s2k... about 400lbs less... therefore 240 vs 287hp is evened out... but it has about 120lbs LESS torque than the 350z.... yet can yield high13s-high14s....

even the infiniti M45... those 340hp specs are still getting it low mid 14s... a C32 AMG has about similiar specs and already mid high 13s....

its almost like Nissan needs gobs of power like american cars to get decent 1/4... except it has a better hp/ratop

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
ya i was gonna mention the engine's location but you beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how about s2000 and 350z then? both engines in the front... I just sat in one of these s2000.... the torqueless wonder don't mean shyt if launched well....

I was cruising with my cousins friend just now... hit worst was a 14.4.... his best stock time was 13.8-14.1... this thing pulls pretty good

I just ran him for shit's and giggles, he had me by about a car and half 2cars by 60.... 14flat is about 5.4 5.5 to 60... he said my car should be good for 6.3-6.7 to 60.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts